Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:55 AM

39 posts, read 219,413 times

Advertisements

We will be traveling to TX the end of May from FL via I-10 on our way to Austin. It's been years since I've driven in Houston, but I do remember the monumental traffic jams ... no matter what day or time. If we arrive on a Sunday (probably around 10 - 11 am), I'm hoping the traffic jams won't be nearly so bad as they would be during the week. Would the recommended route on a Sunday be to take the East Sam Houston Tollway North (Beltway 8) around to US 290 to Austin? If so, what are the tolls for that portion of the tollway?

Looking at a map, it would seem that a more direct route would be to continue on I-10 through downtown, exiting to US 610 North to US 290 to Austin. Would that be almost as jammed on Sunday as it is during the week?

Second option: If we were to arrive in Houston on Monday (again, probably around 10 - 11 am) rather than Sunday, which route would you recommend ... the East Sam Houston Tollway (Beltway 8)? Are the tolls exact change or toll tag only?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 11:32 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,731,452 times
I would not recommend taking Beltway 8 as that would add a lot of time to your drive. Sunday shouldn't be bad so stick with 10-610-290

Old 05-19-2009, 11:41 AM
rbf

1 posts, read 6,242 times
Sunday won't be any problem...

If your schedule should change and you hit downtown in the 3PM to 7PM range on a weekday, then get off the roads and find something to do until 7PM or so....

BTW: the beltway from I-10, north and northwest over to US59 is not a tollway and there are dangerous stoplights along the path. From US59 to IH45, it's a freeway, the tolls start about 3 miles west of I-45 and it would cost $1.50 to get from there to US290 (single tool booth)

Old 05-19-2009, 11:45 AM

551 posts, read 1,573,747 times
I agree with chris-UT. Beltway is out of the way. You shouldn't have a problem with Sunday or Monday in our area unless there happens to be an accident or you are traveling on a a holiday!

I will tell you though that I10 between Lafayette and Beaumont can be a mess much of the time with construction. We travel often from Houston to Lafayette and it can be a mess. If you have a GPS that gives warnings of traffic jams use it; if not check online for traffic conditions before hitting this area. Hope this helps!

Old 05-19-2009, 11:54 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
I drove Orange to Lake Charles a couple months ago and it was in good shape. TX roads are definitely in better shape than LA, but it was all good nonetheless. I also know the stretch between Hankamer and Beaumont is fine as well. At this time, I-10 is a mess between Hankamer and Cove, and especially between the west side of Baytown and Channelview (over the San Jacinto River). Once you get past all that, I don't forsee any problem going I-10 straight through town on a Sunday unless there is an accident. All of the construction has been finished.

I would personally take I-10 all the way to Columbus, and then TX-71 to Austin. 290 can be pretty bad in both NW Houston and also from Elgin to Austin.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:55 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
The Beltway is a great alternative if you want to pay to add time to your trip. Traffic on Sunday is not that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone
I would personally take I-10 all the way to Columbus, and then TX-71 to Austin.
This. I don't mind going the 290 way if I'm not in any sort of hurry, but you're probably looking for the quickest way from A to B.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:56 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
10 West to 71 is the best drive IMHO. 290 sucks 24/7.

And I have to go to Brenham this weekend too. UGH.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:32 PM

39 posts, read 219,413 times
Default Thanks to ...

each of you for your posts. Sounds as if going straight through downtown on I-10 is the most direct way, not to mention being the quickest, especially on Sunday.

I hadn't even noticed TX-71 to Columbus. It does look like a good way to go. Thanks for that suggestion!

Re construction on I-10 from Lafayette to Beaumont and Hankamer to Cove and Baytown to Channelview: Would it be better to get off I-10 at Beaumont and take US 90 using 146 to get back to I-10 or is it better to just tough it out on I-10 through the rough spots?

Thanks again for the advice and suggestions.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:42 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Stay off US-90. Very slow route to be used only if the freeway is completely shut down.

Hankamer to Cove construction has gotten a lot better recently. There is usually a pullover lane but in places, there is no room for error. Baytown to Channelview is still very tight with narrow lanes and no margin for error. I'd still just grin & bear this route as there really isn't any other good way to go out there.

The main issue here is I-10 is a major artery for 18 wheelers, especially that part with all of them coming in & out of the port. It can get pretty hairy sometimes. I drive it every day. Sundays might be easier to deal with, but on weekday evenings there are a good # of roughneck speed demons drinking beer, weaving through traffic at 90 mph on the way home.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:55 PM

551 posts, read 1,573,747 times
I just took I10 from Lafayette to Houston for Easter weekend and the construction was still in place. It took us 5 1/2 hours to go 222 miles; it normally takes 3 1/2. Wwe have taken 90 before to get around. It all depends if you like to be moving or not. I cannot stand being stuck and not moving at all so I would rather be going 50 on 90 than moving 1 mile in an hour. You will have to decide that! Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston