Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:25 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,817,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommiePreMed View Post
Don't live in the hood. HTH
Right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 12:26 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,569,399 times
That's nothing compared to the car shows Houston is known for. All the Houston hoods have their own car shows where people show off their slabs (heavily modified old-school cars). You can expect 10s of 1000's of car enthusiasts to jampack major thoroughfares as they blast rap music and show off their whips. I won't lie, the car culture here is serious. The major slab show goes down on MLK in South Park; all the Northsiders and Southsiders come together and jampack MLK for a major car show. Of course the police has to work overtime because there have been fights and shootings on occasion.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:31 PM

739 posts, read 2,262,954 times
We have wierd people roaming through my subdivision on Torrey Forest. They come out of the apartments on the corner of Bammel North Houston and Veterans Memorial and look for stuff to steal. They roam on Torrey Forest, Torrey Chase, Sablechase, and Sableridge streets looking for stuff to steal. The best security system is a .357 magnum between the eyes.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:37 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,231,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
That's nothing compared to the car shows Houston is known for. All the Houston hoods have their own car shows where people show off their slabs (heavily modified old-school cars). You can expect 10s of 1000's of car enthusiasts to jampack major thoroughfares as they blast rap music and show off their whips. I won't lie, the car culture here is serious. The major slab show goes down on MLK in South Park; all the Northsiders and Southsiders come together and jampack MLK for a major car show. Of course the police has to work overtime because there have been fights and shootings on occasion.
We have cars shows coming through our apartments area too. It be fights here like everyday, as well as robberies.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
We have wierd people roaming through my subdivision on Torrey Forest. They come out of the apartments on the corner of Bammel North Houston and Veterans Memorial and look for stuff to steal. They roam on Torrey Forest, Torrey Chase, Sablechase, and Sableridge streets looking for stuff to steal. The best security system is a .357 magnum between the eyes.
I would want to stay from Veteran's Memorial area. Gets worse in Camden Park.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:02 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,009,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Am I lucky that people in my 'plex tend to keep to themselves or am I just not attracting enough attention?

Maybe I should wear a chicken suit and see if people stare.
If you'll change it to a cow suit - you can usually get something free at Chick Fil-A when they have those specials and still be stare-worthy.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:00 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,546,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Whats up with this? Don't they have anything to do? Sometimes I see them sitting there doing nothing in the heat.

The kids are out of control in the parking lot.
They also stare at you when you walk by.
Is yours a gated apartment complex? What kind of rent do you pay? (Just curious to see if safety has any correlation to price).

Old 07-12-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Is yours a gated apartment complex? What kind of rent do you pay? (Just curious to see if safety has any correlation to price).
Gated. Very low rent. I am moving out tomorrow though after 4 years. It use to be nice before Katrina.

Safety does have correlation to price.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:42 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Safety does have correlation to price.
Tell that to the folks in the Alexan on Main where about four dozen cars were broken into in one night, loaded with iPods, GPS and other goodies people foolishly left in their cars because they thought they were buying safety.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Tell that to the folks in the Alexan on Main where about four dozen cars were broken into in one night, loaded with iPods, GPS and other goodies people foolishly left in their cars because they thought they were buying safety.
Well going by the number, the higher the rent, the lower the crime.
I would not worry about my car being stolen or stuff stolen in it. I have full coverage + renter's insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: