Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:46 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPodz View Post
Awesome...very good to hear!
'Can't stand the smell of smoke myself, but I am strongly opposed to any law to ban people from smoking... just another right taken away by our government. What right will be taken away next? It should be simple enough, if you don't like smoke, avoid it. I do.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:03 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
I honestly do not care how dangerous it is.. IT IS dangerous. period. It's a very nasty and gorss smell that makes me throw up everytime I smell it.

Why are you getting all worked up about this anyway? Can't outlaw it cause it annoys you? There are many things that are not allowed... selling alcohol only at certain hours, prostitution, no speeding etc. There are just some things the government needs to outlaw.
And where does it stop? Some people are annoyed by loud music. Some are annoyed by car exhaust. Some are annoyed by this. Some are annoyed by that. Some people are just plain annoyed by the cut of your jib. Do we ban everything that annoys everybody? And don't give me that BS about just because it is dangerous, no matter how little, that an outright blanket ban on it is ok. I can assure you, there are a ton of things far more dangerous than smoking that are perfectly legal. The danger excuse is absolutely, completely PAC manufactured BS. You mean to tell me the tiny stream of smoke from a handful of dried-up leaves is dangerous enough to your health to warrant a ban? BS. I call total BS. If smoke is so dangerous, why don't we ban campfires? Sure it's outdoors, but who hasn't stood around a campfire and had the wind shift to cause the smoke to hit them? The inhaled smoke from a campfire has got to be far worse for you than a night in a smoky bar, yet the government feels no need to step in and tell Boy Scout troop 1526 to stop roasting the marshmallows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
'Can't stand the smell of smoke myself, but I am strongly opposed to any law to ban people from smoking... just another right taken away by our government. What right will be taken away next? It should be simple enough, if you don't like smoke, avoid it. I do.
Amen. Give 'em an inch, and they'll take a mile.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:35 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Oh please, stop saying "they are taking out rights away". Why can't we speed on the freeway? Why can't we just hurt other people? Why can't we just not pay taxes? Why do we outlaw rape? Why do we have laws at all? Why can't we jsut do whatever we want? Like I said, SOME things just need to be outlawed. Kind of sad that you do not know the difference between campfire smoke and cigarette smoke.

Btw, if you do want to have "real freedom", you should move to Africa. In some countries there you can literally do what you want. It's on the news every day.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Oh please, stop saying "they are taking out rights away". Why can't we speed on the freeway? Why can't we just hurt other people? Why can't we just not pay taxes? Why do we outlaw rape? Why do we have laws at all? Why can't we jsut do whatever we want? Like I said, SOME things just need to be outlawed. Kind of sad that you do not know the difference between campfire smoke and cigarette smoke.

Btw, if you do want to have "real freedom", you should move to Africa. In some countries there you can literally do what you want. It's on the news every day.
Kinda sad you think it necessary to legislate behavior. Also kinda sad you can't see the difference between rape and smoking. It's kinda sad you need or desire the government to set rules for you like a parent. Some of us out here are perfectly capable of making rational decisions on our own. Saddest of all is you've resorted to the don't-like-it-then-leave retort.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:56 PM

293 posts, read 1,035,820 times
Smoke around food has never made sense to me. It is wonderful to be able to go to a restaurant without getting a migraine from smoke and have your hair and clothes smell bad. Food tastes better without the smoke too. I don't miss having to answer smoking or no smoking. YUCK. Just walk in to clean air and sit.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:57 PM

Kinda sad some people don't understand it But it's ok - you can learn

Old 08-20-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Kinda sad some people don't understand it But it's ok - you can learn
Is that it? I don't agree with you, therefore I just don't understand? Perhaps it's I who understand all too well and you who's got a lot of learning to do.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:31 PM

809 posts, read 3,569,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Kinda sad you think it necessary to legislate behavior. Also kinda sad you can't see the difference between rape and smoking. It's kinda sad you need or desire the government to set rules for you like a parent. Some of us out here are perfectly capable of making rational decisions on our own. Saddest of all is you've resorted to the don't-like-it-then-leave retort.

Kinda sad that you are killing yourself and family with tobacco and want the right to kill us too. Kinda sad that you are so addicted, you can't see what it's doing to you. Kinda sad that you actually think secondhand smoke isn't dangerous. Kinda sad that you don't know the difference between cigarette smoke and campfire smoke.

I don't care if you smoke. I don't care if you give yourself cancer, aneurysms, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, and have a stroke. Just don't poison me and my family.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_10_2X_Secondhand_Smoke-Clean_Indoor_Air.asp

Edit: I don't mean that I don't care if you get sick. I meant it's your body so you can do as you please. I hope you don't get sick.

Last edited by AlexTx; 08-20-2009 at 03:41 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Is that it? I don't agree with you, therefore I just don't understand? Perhaps it's I who understand all too well and you who's got a lot of learning to do.

No, you just didn't get it ( the point). Has nothing to do with you agreeing/disagreeing.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:08 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default What do you call it? Give me another phrase for it then.

Quote:

The difference between a rape, and smoke is... when someone is being raped, they most likely are not in control, and don't have a choice. When someone is smoking, you simply ask to be moved, or leave and deny the establishment business. Someone's smoke is not being forced upon you, you always have the right to leave and go somewhere else.

Just about everyone knows the dangers of smoke, and chewing, yet people take that risk; let them live with the consequences. My neighbor died of throat cancer for both of those reasons. Second hand smoke can be avoided. An adult person should not have the government telling them what they should avoid just because the government wants to play mother to people.

Did I mention I can't stand smoke? When my wife and I go anywhere and we've been exposed to smoke, it does not matter if it's 03:00 in the morning, we take showers as soon as we get home, we dislike it that much. But the government needs to stay out of people's lives.

Your argument about allowing rape, taxes and speeding, etc. is just insulting to most reading this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston