Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:40 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times

Advertisements

Check this out ... Houston is in the top ten of this listing of America's most expensive cities. For the rest of the country that reads how cheap Houston (and Texas) is and how the job market is good - it might give pause for thought before packing up and moving with no job lined up (or not even any prospects).

America's Most Expensive Cities 2009 - Yahoo! Real Estate

Old 10-17-2009, 12:43 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times
OK, so it's not as cheap as some people make it out to be. The people on this forum who actually live here have been saying that all the time. But I really have to wonder about a list that has Houston over DC.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:12 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
I found it interesting that they determine it with a basket of the "same goods" in all the major cities, so it sounds like it is a combo of different expenses they are using in each city. So maybe while housing may be more expensive in some cities than Houston's - then some of our other goods may be more - groceries, transportation/commuting, services, etc. Just a guess but perhaps that is what pushes us into the list.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:10 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I found it interesting that they determine it with a basket of the "same goods" in all the major cities, so it sounds like it is a combo of different expenses they are using in each city. So maybe while housing may be more expensive in some cities than Houston's - then some of our other goods may be more - groceries, transportation/commuting, services, etc. Just a guess but perhaps that is what pushes us into the list.

They may be taking into account housing IN the city limits, which many posters have been trying to relay for years, isn't that great of a bargain. Most of the Houston area's "cheaper" housing is not actually in the City of Houston but Katy, Spring,Sugarland, Pearland, etc.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:16 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,021 times
I think those answers are all partially right, though I think mostly has to do with the cost of transportation to get around in the city. Most people drive cars in Houston and that is an expense that often outweighs the cost of public transportation cost in many cities. In the other cities on the list, the primary cost of living expense is housing; however, I'm with Jfre I HIGHLY doubt that Washington DC offers cheaper living than Houston on average. Also note that Houston is usually considered inexpensive when it is compared to the other cities on this list. It's not going to be cheaper than say Little Rock, AR. It's still a big city and with a big city comes big city costs.

PS. Where the **** is San Diego?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I think what really happened is that they chose a bunch of random cities...I mean why is White Plains on this list? It's very out of place as it is a NYC suburb.

EDIT: Well, looks like I was right about the transportation thing. I found this on the Forbe's list.

8. Houston, Texas
World Rank: 98

While this Texas town remains on our list of the best cities for business and careers year after year, the cost of commuting--20.9% of expenses, on average, are spent on transportation--makes it pricey to live here. And the city lacks a useful, extensive or reliable mass-transit system.

So I've gotta disagree EA, it's quite inexpensive to rent in the loop compared to most cities. If you go to look for apartments in many cities, you would be hard pressed to find an 1 bedroom/studio in a "cool area" for around less than $1000/ Whereas the same can be had in a great area for that much or even less in Houston. It's the families that move looking to buy a huge house and have 2.5 kids that want great schools (seems to be most people that move to Houston) that get screwed.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 10-17-2009 at 02:56 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 06:04 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,484,133 times
I've lived in close to a dozen cities (lost count actually) and there is no way Houston is in anyone's Top 10 if you compare apples with apples. Maybe if you compare River Oaks residents who commute in a Bentley to Conroe everyday they will compare poorly with many cities, but .... come on! It's got to be the cheapest or nearly so of any of the 20 or so largest metropolitan areas, maybe with the exception of some of the collapsing rust belt cities like Detroit or long term basket cases like Gary Indiana where it's cheap because nobody wants to live there.
!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:04 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times
What the column fails to mention is the 8 cities above Houston are waaaaaay more expensive than Houston. I think the other day I said Chicago isn't that much more, but it is. For the middle class, I think Houston is the cheapest city overall. For the Piney Point, Rice Village income level, it's still not as expensive as most cities. An 800,000 house in Bunker Hill costs more than a million in a comparable neighborhood with comparable schools in Chicago. In San Francisco, I don't think I'd even want to know.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:07 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
What the column fails to mention is the 8 cities above Houston are waaaaaay more expensive than Houston. I think the other day I said Chicago isn't that much more, but it is. For the middle class, I think Houston is the cheapest city overall. For the Piney Point, Rice Village income level, it's still not as expensive as most cities. An 800,000 house in Bunker Hill costs more than a million in a comparable neighborhood with comparable schools in Chicago. In San Francisco, I don't think I'd even want to know.

There are 2 houses in Bunker Hill under 800k, and only one you could live in. And they aren't really in Bunker Hill, but Bunker Hill Woods...which isn't covered by Village services, because it's not the real Bunker Hill. And i hate to say it, but there isn't anything listed in the real Piney Point, 77024, for under a million.....

Yeah, Houston for good location with good schools, K-12, IS expensive. The ETC burbs, not so much.

I don't know much about the other cities other than real estate is TANKING in most of them...but if you want the American Dream that includes close to the core/major work location, excellent public schools and a nice/updated house, Houston is costly for 95% of Americans. If you want new and the aformentioned, yeah...it's in the Top 10. You have to remember, Houston is holding it's real estate value along the west side and other pockets throughout the COH, while the rest of the country is not. I'm actually surprised LA is still number 2, there are some good bargains...and I mean really good bargain out there. Malibu has fallen off quite a bit as well.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 10-17-2009 at 06:42 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 06:12 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,998,113 times
probably not enough competition (and patrons) that drive prices down especially on dining and entertainment

Old 10-17-2009, 06:53 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,164,465 times
Biggest advantage of TX is no state/city income tax vs ~10% in NYC/NJ or CA

Elite areas of Houston are actually more costly than comparable suburbs in SiliconValley or NYC (land is a lot more costly in RivOaks/Villages)

But Hou has many more new, cheap tract houses which are a close drive to many EC offices than SV or NYC where suburbs nr major offices are either old and slummy and/or areas w/upscale new houses on >1 acre lots that most workers can't afford....so less affluent workers in SV or NYC often choose to live in distant, cheaper suburbs if want a modern house w/air conditioning, etc and decent public schools

And most would agree no comparison between driving self to office in own car vs sitting/standing on a smelly, hot train/bus very close to many hygienically-challenged "pals" and potential muggers...mass transit is nominally "cheap" for many reasons....sort of like public housing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston