Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:57 AM

441 posts, read 1,326,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
I'll say it again- to live in a manner I regard as acceptable in Houston requires every cent of a healthy six figure salary (decent house somewhere real, 2 cars needed sadly, not eating out in rathole dives,6weeks a year'vacation' somewhere nice etc etc). A similar standard of living was achieved in the 'expensive' Euro cities I've lived in for the equivalent of about $80k.
I 100% agree. I came here from rather expensive German city to supposedly "cheap" Houston. But if you want to remotely keep some standards (not having 1 hour commute, eating in those great restaurant Houston is advertising everywhere etc.) then you need good 6 figure income. Ye, you can live for 35k somewhere in suburbs, you might even consider it as "decent" living - but it's not what was compared in that article.

It's not bourgeoisie mentality. Or well, if people think everything different from soccer mom approach is bourgeois, then maybe. This thread can go another 20 pages discussing what are the standards but you see from examples of people who lived in other cities/countries that Houston is not that cheap.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:36 PM

912 posts, read 2,556,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
So what you're trying to say, basically, is you need to have a lot of money to live the kind of "high life" that you want to live. Well guess what bucko, It costs a lot of money to do that anywhere. That's not exactly a news flash to anyone. What, were you somehow expecting it to be cheap? You must have since you're obviously let down and you deem it necessary to talk down anyone whose standards don't quite match up with yours. That's too bad, but it's not anybody's problem here. Except yours, I guess.

Why are you still here, anyway? Merry old England's still there and I'm sure it'd take you back. Or did you come here to live out the distinctly American lifestyle, uncompromisingly beyond your means so you then complain when it's cramping your budget, like it's somebody else's fault. At least you've embraced part of the culture.

I take it riding METRO is beneath you, or you wouldn't need two cars necessarily. But yeah, we wouldn't want to be around all the lowlifes now, would we?
Yes I guess you do need 'lots' of money to live what I'd regard as an acceptable lifestyle but my point is that in Houston that costs more than many other places I've lived.

I haven't lived in England for a long time and neither do I plan to again. I thought I'd try living in Houston as it was reputed to be relatively inexpensive. I don't find that to be the case.

Neither am I complaining, I'm merely pointing out the fact that it isn't cheap to live here if you live a decent life even if you 'Americanise' your tastes as I have done.

As for talking down to people that certainly wasn't my intention. I feel that the consumer of information reads into it what they feel based on their own predispositions. If you feel I'm speaking from an elitist perspective then I suggest that's an issue for yourself rather than me.

Regarding Metro I don't 'do' public transport unless it's foisted upon me. Besides which it doesn't actually cover any area I have any interest in visiting.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:34 PM

226 posts, read 893,691 times
This article is so stupid just look at the prices of things on the list which was only a picture and three of the things form the basket of goods. One was housing the other two were a cup of coffee and a fast food burger. The price of the burger was cheapest and the coffee was cheapest but the apartment was $100 dollars higher than ;the last city[cheapest] on the list.

I have heard form others that live in Houston and seen with my own eyes that the dollar goes farther in Houston.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:56 PM

Yes it's 'so stupid' however moving beyond the limiting concepts you're talking about then extra-dennys life isn't cheap in Houston despite what you and others contend.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:25 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,536 times
Quote:
Yes it's 'so stupid' however moving beyond the limiting concepts you're talking about then extra-dennys life isn't cheap in Houston despite what you and others contend.
http://www.artfagcity.com/wordpress_core/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/someoneiswrongontheinternet.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-21-2009, 08:14 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
I 100% agree. I came here from rather expensive German city to supposedly "cheap" Houston. But if you want to remotely keep some standards (not having 1 hour commute, eating in those great restaurant Houston is advertising everywhere etc.) then you need good 6 figure income. Ye, you can live for 35k somewhere in suburbs, you might even consider it as "decent" living - but it's not what was compared in that article.

It's not bourgeoisie mentality. Or well, if people think everything different from soccer mom approach is bourgeois, then maybe. This thread can go another 20 pages discussing what are the standards but you see from examples of people who lived in other cities/countries that Houston is not that cheap.
Quote:
Yes I guess you do need 'lots' of money to live what I'd regard as an acceptable lifestyle but my point is that in Houston that costs more than many other places I've lived.

I haven't lived in England for a long time and neither do I plan to again. I thought I'd try living in Houston as it was reputed to be relatively inexpensive. I don't find that to be the case.

Neither am I complaining, I'm merely pointing out the fact that it isn't cheap to live here if you live a decent life even if you 'Americanise' your tastes as I have done.

As for talking down to people that certainly wasn't my intention. I feel that the consumer of information reads into it what they feel based on their own predispositions. If you feel I'm speaking from an elitist perspective then I suggest that's an issue for yourself rather than me.

Regarding Metro I don't 'do' public transport unless it's foisted upon me. Besides which it doesn't actually cover any area I have any interest in visiting.

First off, "cheap" is pretty subjective. Secondly, "standards of living" are pretty subjective too, as we can tell from the article, cups of coffee are a measure of how cheap a city is.

Have you heard about renting a townhome, condo, or apartment? If you want to own a home in a low crime, good school area in the Houston city limits, it is going to be expensive because it is in demand. Don't have kids, why own a home? Or go buy an inexpensive townhouse or condo.

Transportation is the most expensive aspect of living in Houston, but hey with a little planning you can figure out a good way to commute via Metro or call pool or actually plan to live near where you work.

Too many people, I believe, just move places without really planning things out and end up unhappy and disillusioned. With a little planning you can maintain or improve your lifestyle. As to the notion that Houston is cheap, it is myth, Houston is cheaper.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:05 PM

lol@metro for commuting. It doesn't even cover the city with realistic timing or routes.

Certainly I'm not unhappy, I love living in Houston it just costs $$$$$$$$$.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:27 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,837,799 times
Quote:
Certainly I'm not unhappy, I love living in Houston it just costs $$$$$$$$$.
Yes, those costs really add up. A nice home in one of the more desirable, close-in areas, insurance for that home, utilities... and that's just the house. Then there's transportation and everything else...

Old 10-21-2009, 09:34 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
It matters very little where you live in the United States if you are a person that wants to live in the upper echelons of the American lifestyle. Whether you live in the backwoods of Montana or Manhattan, life will be expensive for you. Driving two German cars will cost a lot more to finance and maintain than a couple of domestics. Living near where the action is always costs more. Shopping at Saks costs a lot more than shopping at Dillards which costs a lot more than shopping at TJMaxx. Heck, I bet living in the most desirable parts of backwoods Montana cost a fortune in housing since these houses would be up in the mountains with amazing views. I truly believe that for some life will be expensive no matter where they live.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:19 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,446 times
Having lived in Milan for a few years, (since my sister is married to a Milanese). It was obvious to me that their standard of living compared to someone in Houston was absolutely low. The majority of young people can not afford a mortgage. One finds many of them end up living with their parents up until their fifties, and eventually they just inherit the house. As far as condos, they are very are expensive and yet very tiny, the number of electrical outlets are limited, the hot water is never constant. Taking a shower in the winter can be very risky. People don’t know what a drier is for. Everyone seems to have a washer but they dry their clothes on lines and racks. Gasoline is more than double of what it costs here. Fruits and vegetables are sky high. One average looking apple will cost you a Euro or more. Variety in fruits is limited. Trying to find parking near downtown is impossible. People there seem to be very creative in parking their little machines in unimaginable small places. Dining at night can be very expensive, but their lunches are not too bad. Don’t get me wrong, I love Italy, but mainly to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston