Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:44 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,562,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadillacRF View Post
I'm surprised at how much traffic this thread actually generated. Anyway, Houston is expensive, and those of us that have/do live in Houston know it.

People see the median home price for the area, $155,000, and they think Houston is some low cost of living place. Wrong! What they don't know about Houston is that the city has pockets of very wealthy and very poor, all of which average out to the median home price.

For $155,000 you aren't living in a nice area. That won't buy a person anything in River Oaks, Bellaire, West U, Kingwood, The Woodlands, Sugar Land, Katy Area, Clear Lake, Friendswood, Piney Point/Bunker Hill, Tanglewood, well, you get the point. Yes, I know you can find SOMETHING, but it will be a piece of crap. Good sized, nice homes in good neighborhoods do not exist in Houston for under $250K. Plain and simple.

Yeah, Houston #10. I believe it.
You can live in a modest to nice house in Meadows Place, Texas. Meadows Place is in Fort Bend ISD and is zoned to Meadows Elementary, Dulles Middle and Dulles High School. Although Meadows Place is probably not nice to you specifically it is nice to a heck of a lot of people. In fact, the median household income is over 80,000 a year. Seeing that the median household income in Houston is around 45,000 a year, I'd say those that live in Meadows Place are far from poor. I think "plain and simple" is you are kind of an elitist.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:12 PM

226 posts, read 893,759 times
Quote:
I'm surprised at how much traffic this thread actually generated. Anyway, Houston is expensive, and those of us that have/do live in Houston know it.

People see the median home price for the area, $155,000, and they think Houston is some low cost of living place. Wrong! What they don't know about Houston is that the city has pockets of very wealthy and very poor, all of which average out to the median home price.

For $155,000 you aren't living in a nice area. That won't buy a person anything in River Oaks, Bellaire, West U, Kingwood, The Woodlands, Sugar Land, Katy Area, Clear Lake, Friendswood, Piney Point/Bunker Hill, Tanglewood, well, you get the point. Yes, I know you can find SOMETHING, but it will be a piece of crap. Good sized, nice homes in good neighborhoods do not exist in Houston for under $250K. Plain and simple.

I'm priced out then.

I don't want to buy a home that costs that much just to get a nice home in a nice neighborhood. I was going to move to Houston in December but now I think I would be making a mistake I really don't want to rent forever either. Someone tell me this guy is full of bull I don't know who to believe on this forum anymore but this doesn't make sense.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:42 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
Quote:

Clear Lake...

Middlebrook ain't bad for $155k, especially if you are a DIY'er (circa mid 70s) and 1700 sq ft is enough for you. You're toeing the Pasadena line and pretty far from I-45, which adds up if you like to shoot into town on weekends. If you work at the plants near Bay Area Blvd it's a good place to live and not far from Clear Lake's amentities.

For $250k in northern Clear Lake, you can get a mid-90s, 2600 sq ft, 4/2.5/2, 2-story Centex/Village/Lennar in excellent condition with a couple of upgrades, and be 20-25 minutes from downtown off-peak.

"Good sized" and "nice" are subjective terms, Mr. Cadillac.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:04 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirelez View Post
I'm priced out then.

I don't want to buy a home that costs that much just to get a nice home in a nice neighborhood. I was going to move to Houston in December but now I think I would be making a mistake I really don't want to rent forever either. Someone tell me this guy is full of bull I don't know who to believe on this forum anymore but this doesn't make sense.
it's not exactly true. first of all most 'good places' are outside of houston, they're far from uptown/midtown/downtown. Sugarland, Katy, The Woodlands, there's also Cypress which is the most affordable of all these exburbs I think. My sisters and their families love it there. There are affordable, crime free neighborhoods out there.
Now, if you want to be within 15mi from work (westchase, uptown, midtown, downtown) it would be a good idea to stay away from 'affordable' apartments and subdivision with cheap rentals. Living in a gated community IMO is required, or (like the guy mentioned) a solid community pricey enough to afford extra police presence and higher community standards (that does help against crime)

Old 10-24-2009, 08:20 AM

912 posts, read 2,556,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirelez View Post
You seem like you're better off in Europe so why are you in Houston?
For the experience of living in the US. I like Houston, it just isn't 'cheap' like some people make out unless you're bubba six pack.

My only concern now is that the collapsing US economy will leave my assets here worth a fraction of what they should be on my return to civilisation.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:48 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,051,124 times
Don't worry, the economies of "civilization" are also collapsing. Even some of us cretins here in the US read the international news, you know.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:03 AM

The euro at $1.50 doesn't seem like collapse to me although I'm not convinced that's sustainable long term.
It's excellent you read international news, no doubt you also have a passport and have left the womb like safety of the junk food states.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:13 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,864,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
For the experience of living in the US. I like Houston, it just isn't 'cheap' like some people make out unless you're bubba six pack.

My only concern now is that the collapsing US economy will leave my assets here worth a fraction of what they should be on my return to civilisation.

Well ,where are you from? I'd say that Houston is generally cheaper than Europe. No idea about House prices, but the same house would probably much more expensive in Europe than in Houston.
I actually think Houston's cheap. Yeah, more expensive than some village in the middle of nowhere, but it's a big city.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:17 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
It's excellent you read international news, no doubt you also have a passport and have left the womb like safety of the junk food states.
Quote:
I like Houston, it just isn't 'cheap' like some people make out unless you're bubba six pack.
Quote:
As for talking down to people that certainly wasn't my intention. I feel that the consumer of information reads into it what they feel based on their own predispositions. If you feel I'm speaking from an elitist perspective then I suggest that's an issue for yourself rather than me.
Nah, I'm not on any sort of high horse....it's your problem....

At least when I'm talking down and condescending people I'm fully conscious I'm doing it. So go on, think to yourself "you know what, I'm going to tell these Big Mac-eating buffoons just how fat, lazy and stupid they are." And then do it. And when someone calls you out on it, you tell them directly "I'm saying I'm better than you because I'm better than you." I'll have more respect for you for doing so. The world would be a better place if we were all a little more self-aware, just not to unhealthy extremes. Seems you should know all about that.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:44 AM

I didn't suggest you were on any sort of 'high horse' and I don't believe there's any need to tell Big Mac eating buffoons how fat lazy and stupid they are. Some things are self-evident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston