Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:05 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
I guess it depend how low you're prepared to let your expectations go but as I've said many times it probably is a cheap place to live if you're out in the suburbs and eatin' corn dogs.

Don't forget fried bologna + mayonnaise sandwiches.

Yeah, the food is just terrible out here, please don't visit.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:08 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times
Hey, don't diss corn dogs, that's good eatin'.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:26 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,677,385 times
Quote:
I certainly wanted a gas guzzler but the big house stuff certainly isn't something I ever remember wanting.

The price of gas is certainly cheap here in Texas and that doesn't figure in my calculations of the expense of Houston living.

There's no cheaper way of living what I'd regard an acceptable lifestyle here in Houston and even with the numerous adaptions I've made to 'Americanise' my tastes I find Houston to be more expensive than other places I've lived excepting perhaps London and Paris. I guess it depend how low you're prepared to let your expectations go but as I've said many times it probably is a cheap place to live if you're out in the suburbs and eatin' corn dogs.
Moderator cut: off topic Anyone got some Velveeta I can borrow to put on this corn dog I'm eatin'?

Last edited by Chickrae; 10-20-2009 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 10-19-2009, 09:27 PM

789 posts, read 1,528,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
If you are spending $500/mo on electricity and you don't have a big house, can I have a sample of whatever you're growing back there? I won't tell anyone.
Lmao. I was what he was doing at home also to get such a bill. I have never ever heard of someones bill going that high. There must be someone sitting at home all day, or a secret garden in his back yard.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:13 AM

912 posts, read 2,557,626 times
Moderator cut rendered post unintelligible.

Gist of it was: It's expensive here in Houston as I've said all along. This survey backs up my assertions. The bottom line here is that I'm living the high life (and not in the low life drug taking way some alluded to earlier) and those living cheaply aren't.

Last edited by Grunn; 10-20-2009 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 10-20-2009, 05:36 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,677,385 times
Quote:

Gist of it was: It's expensive here in Houston as I've said all along. This survey backs up my assertions. The bottom line here is that I'm living the high life (and not in the low life drug taking way some alluded to earlier) and those living cheaply aren't.
You are just jealous of all the Houston poor white trash on this board and how we be living. Life is goooood out here outside the Loop!

Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 PM

177 posts, read 425,575 times
Quote:

If I were you I would cut that survey out and frame it, if you truly believe in it.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:19 AM

912 posts, read 2,557,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeTon View Post
If I were you I would cut that survey out and frame it, if you truly believe in it.
Ah, I see because it doesn't fit in with the Houston is cheap mantra trotted out by people who presumably live a life of trans-fat banality it's all a lie.

I'll say it again- to live in a manner I regard as acceptable in Houston requires every cent of a healthy six figure salary (decent house somewhere real, 2 cars needed sadly, not eating out in rathole dives,6weeks a year'vacation' somewhere nice etc etc). A similar standard of living was achieved in the 'expensive' Euro cities I've lived in for the equivalent of about $80k.

I guess the bottom line is if you're used to living in boonies surrounded by stepford soccer moms, shaven headed bud six pack and eating at 'carrabas' for a treat (it's just not that good) then I guess Houston could be regarded as 'inexpensive'.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:41 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
Quote:
Ah, I see because it doesn't fit in with the Houston is cheap mantra trotted out by people who presumably live a life of trans-fat banality it's all a lie.

I'll say it again- to live in a manner I regard as acceptable in Houston requires every cent of a healthy six figure salary (decent house somewhere real, 2 cars needed sadly, not eating out in rathole dives,6weeks a year'vacation' somewhere nice etc etc). A similar standard of living was achieved in the 'expensive' Euro cities I've lived in for the equivalent of about $80k.

Wow, a cheaper high life that includes a bourgeois mentality as a bonus. Sign me up!!!

Old 10-21-2009, 06:49 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times
So what you're trying to say, basically, is you need to have a lot of money to live the kind of "high life" that you want to live. Well guess what bucko, It costs a lot of money to do that anywhere. That's not exactly a news flash to anyone. What, were you somehow expecting it to be cheap? You must have since you're obviously let down and you deem it necessary to talk down anyone whose standards don't quite match up with yours. That's too bad, but it's not anybody's problem here. Except yours, I guess.

Why are you still here, anyway? Merry old England's still there and I'm sure it'd take you back. Or did you come here to live out the distinctly American lifestyle, uncompromisingly beyond your means so you then complain when it's cramping your budget, like it's somebody else's fault. At least you've embraced part of the culture.

I take it riding METRO is beneath you, or you wouldn't need two cars necessarily. But yeah, we wouldn't want to be around all the lowlifes now, would we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston