Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:14 AM

226 posts, read 894,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
For the experience of living in the US. I like Houston, it just isn't 'cheap' like some people make out unless you're bubba six pack.

My only concern now is that the collapsing US economy will leave my assets here worth a fraction of what they should be on my return to civilisation.
You should go to San Francisco you would fit in much better.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:35 PM

912 posts, read 2,557,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirelez View Post
You should go to San Francisco you would fit in much better.
Doubtless I would, San Francisco is a marvellous place populated with erudite and cosmopolitan folk.

Sadly the oil and gas industry aren't paying good 6 figure salaries to live there.

Regarding the nomark who posts pictures in lieu of any cogent argument- try harder.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:36 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
^^^ With a 6 figure salary and complaints of maintaining a high standard of living in Houston, you may want to cut back the champagne bathes to twice a week and the caviar sandwiches only for lunches because I can see why you are having such a problem.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:53 PM

I don't drink champagne here. I try to support America and American products. I make do with Californian sparkling wine although I only consume product made 'methode champenoise'.

Caviar sandwiches are awfully 'none U' although it's probably a stretch to expect you to realise it. The proper method of consumption would be with ice cold Russian Vodka, possibly served with blini.

If you need any other epicurian advice feel free to ask.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:58 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
^^^ No thanks, I was merely poking fun at you and your posts and of course that is just one proper method of caviar consumption as anyone knows. Thanks for you dry reply or perhaps they don't have sarcasm where you are from?

Old 10-25-2009, 08:27 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
^^^ No thanks, I was merely poking fun at you and your posts and of course that is just one proper method of caviar consumption as anyone knows. Thanks for you dry reply or perhaps they don't have sarcasm where you are from?
No, they do, but american sarcasm is different. Just disagree with him that "Houston isn't cheap", but I've explained that before. Certainly WAY cheaper than SF.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:34 PM

226 posts, read 894,073 times
Quote:
Doubtless I would, San Francisco is a marvellous place populated with erudite and cosmopolitan folk.

Sadly the oil and gas industry aren't paying good 6 figure salaries to live there.

Regarding the nomark who posts pictures in lieu of any cogent argument- try harder.
San Fran is nice to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:31 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,677,385 times
Quote:

I'm trying sooooo hard but I just can't seem to put together those big words and ideas you use. We Corn Dogging Houstonians are simple folk. But wait, lemme ask you a question. Pinky in or pinky out when sipping my Natty Ice?

Old 10-26-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
That was the use of dry wit from me, whereas you seem limited to the lowest form, sarcasm.

This thread highlights the fact that some americans seem unable to distinguish when one's tongue is firmly in cheek.

Trying to drag this back on topic again I think we've reached a concensus on part of the issue.

As I've no experience of it I'm quite happy to accept that Houston is relatively inexpensive in comparison to some other cities in the states if you're prepared to live a life of mediocrity.

Quite how that fits in with the astronomical property tax and energy bills I can't quite see yet however. Or is it a case of walk everywhere and only run a single window unit in the trailer?

Old 10-26-2009, 08:14 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Thread closed for moderator review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston