Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 10:16 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,973,293 times

Advertisements

I'm one of the ones who has been saying it for years.

I never understood why everyone was under the impression Houston was insanely cheap. The burbs are; but that's not Houston.

We're living on Central Park West right now after 3 years in West U and Braes Heights on dollar for dollar (not adjusted) the exact same income. I'd argue we have a significantly higher standard of living here than we did in Houston on the same money. Shopping at the gourmet groceries in Houston cost us almost exactly what we're paying on the Upper West Side. Eating out costs almost exactly the same (MARGINALLY more here). Rent is obviously more, but we pay almost nothing for transportation (cars and related expenses were a full 12% of our pre-tax income in Houston, less than 1.5% here). Even after you factor in state/local taxes, like I said, I'd say we're living a much better life in NYC than Houston on the exact same cash.

If Houston were so cheap and our dollar stretched so much more, we might not have left.

As to the "potential muggers" comment about public transportation; you watch way too many movies.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:00 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Even after you factor in state/local taxes, like I said,I'd say we're living a much better life in NYC than Houston on the exact same cash.
There is no way you are. NYC is many, many times more expensive than Houston & that is a fact.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:23 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times
He's got a point though. People downplay the cost of owning/maintaining a car, including insurance. It's my second highest living expense despite being "paid off." Now, I'm as interested in seeing an actual breakdown as anyone else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg
As to the "potential muggers" comment about public transportation; you watch way too many movies.
Meh, don't mind him. His ideal world has everyone teleconferencing for work at home and doing all their shopping online. Must be a pretty boring, sheltered existence. Reminds me that I'm not all that antisocial after all. Moreover, I know what's more dangerous between driving on the freeways with his Blackberry-wielding ilk and riding METRO (even in the worst part of town). Three words: Jaws Of Life.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:52 AM

226 posts, read 894,073 times
Don't believe everything you see on the internet. Where is San Jose? Forbes is either lying or they need to fire the journalist.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:41 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,411,503 times
like all articles...subjective!

Old 10-18-2009, 09:42 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
Well as I spent $209 on groceries this morning - and not serious groceries either - just staples, bread, milk, cereal, juices, soup sandwich fixings, garbage bags, etc. -- nothing to make a full-sized dinner -- yes it is fairly pricey to live here.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:28 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
As a visitor, I've found groceries are about the same here vs. the major cities in CA as well as Chicago. Just outside of Portland, Ore certain groceries were the same but others were insanely expensive. Things may or may not have changed since then, not sure.

Transportation is going to be costly here, no shock there. A comfortable ride helps eliminate the pain of long commutes and that car note plus a little extra maintenance will no doubt add to those costs. A lot of us have EZ Tags as well.

Electricity/home energy for many will be up there. We have some of the highest rates + some of the worst summer heat in the nation. This cost for several months times # of years adds up really quick.

Property taxes are among the highest in the nation. Still for some it's better than state income tax but worse for certain people. Mainly those who bought too much house in a new exurb or ''old money" types who inherited a high-$ home but makes a salary that would never support even a mortgage on 50% of said home. Plenty of the former around here, but there are some of the latter. Don't forget HO insurance, also among the highest in the nation.

As a general rule we also don't have the violent real estate swings like other places. There are exceptions to the rule but overall it is still more difficult to ''cash out'' on your home. The cost of tax, insurance and electricity is enough to zero any growth potential, or in the suburbs- make your growth turn negative. I wonder if this was taken into account.

BTW I do think this survey was looking at metros not just city limits.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:31 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Well as I spent $209 on groceries this morning - and not serious groceries either - just staples, bread, milk, cereal, juices, soup sandwich fixings, garbage bags, etc. -- nothing to make a full-sized dinner -- yes it is fairly pricey to live here.
Did you shop at Foodtown, Wal-Mart, Kroger or a big fancy HEB like the one in Bunker Hill? Houston has so many options for groceries I have found it's very cheap for that kind of stuff if you don't mind shopping with "regular folks".

Old 10-18-2009, 11:23 AM
zdg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
There is no way you are. NYC is many, many times more expensive than Houston & that is a fact.
Good to know. I'll be sure to ask you before I decide what kind of lifestyle we're living and whether or not my 1040 this year says dollar for dollar what it did last year when we were living in Houston.

When we netted out the variable expense difference between our life in Houston and our life in Manhattan, Manhattan costs 6.2% more. That is not "many, many more times" of anything, no matter how bad you are at math.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:31 AM
zdg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Moreover, I know what's more dangerous between driving on the freeways with his Blackberry-wielding ilk and riding METRO (even in the worst part of town). Three words: Jaws Of Life.
There is not one day when I ride the perfectly safe subway from my apt to my office (a whopping 9 minute trek where I never have to worry about traffic, insurance, accidents, paying attention beyond getting off at the right stop, running out of gas, etc) where I miss driving to work myself.

I can sit and read. I can close my eyes (not that 9 minutes is much of a nap). I can people watch. I can answer emails (safely) on my Blackberry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston