Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 02:54 PM

3 posts, read 16,308 times

Advertisements

Hi! New to c-d but have been reading for a few months now. Great message board and everyone is really informative.

I'm considering a house in Sienna that meets all our criteria including price, good schools, close to family & easy access to tollway. But with that affordable price comes proximity to the train tracks. Kind of surprised by how there look to be a lot of houses built near the tracks.

Living near the train tracks really isn't a deal breaker for us but was wondering if anyone lives near the tracks or close by that can give me an idea of how frequently the trains go by and if it's just a drone or molar-shaking. I understand from realtor that they can't blow their whistles going through Sienna. All house windows are double-pane. I've lived less than a mile from train tracks but don't remember it being a nuisance or really ever "hearing" it.

We do plan to walk around the neighborhood one early evening and see if we can talk to other people who live in the neighborhood. They are still building so there are still some empty lots but at least 6 houses back up to the tracks. There is a large barrier wall.

Thanks for your help.

SJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 09:10 PM

103 posts, read 437,959 times
SJ- Definitely talk to the people in the area you are planning to buy. I live somewhat close to the tracks and it's more of a drone....it just sounds like a big truck driving by (for about two minutes). I notice it more so at night when it's quiet. It's not enough to wake you up from your sleep. If you can get a good deal on a house because of it and it's a house you all will be in for a while, I don't think it's that bad. I know quite a few people who have the tracks in their backyard and they aren't concerned.
You'll love living in Sienna; we LOVE it!
Good luck!

Send me a private message if you have any questions.

ChangeisGood

Old 09-27-2009, 09:19 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangeIsGood View Post
SJ- Definitely talk to the people in the area you are planning to buy. I live somewhat close to the tracks and it's more of a drone....it just sounds like a big truck driving by (for about two minutes). I notice it more so at night when it's quiet. It's not enough to wake you up from your sleep. If you can get a good deal on a house because of it and it's a house you all will be in for a while, I don't think it's that bad. I know quite a few people who have the tracks in their backyard and they aren't concerned.
You'll love living in Sienna; we LOVE it!
Good luck!

Send me a private message if you have any questions.

ChangeisGood
Great advice.

I always recommend speaking to the neighbors. Invest 15 minutes knocking on the neighbors doors and introducing yourself, it will be some of the best 15 minutes you'll ever invest.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:10 PM

3 posts, read 16,308 times
Thank you so much! Your posts make us feel more confident as we weight this decision and I don't feel so funny about knocking on people's doors.

Changeisgood - I'll PM you should we decide to make an offer.

Crunched some numbers today...the 3% tax is brutal! That could be the deal breaker & not the tracks.

We've never bought a house in TX before so this is all new territory for us.

Thanks again.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:47 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHA84 View Post
Thank you so much! Your posts make us feel more confident as we weight this decision and I don't feel so funny about knocking on people's doors.

Changeisgood - I'll PM you should we decide to make an offer.

Crunched some numbers today...the 3% tax is brutal! That could be the deal breaker & not the tracks.

We've never bought a house in TX before so this is all new territory for us.

Thanks again.
The train runs right behind my friends house with only a fence dividing his backyard from the tracks. It's noisy, but it's more like what someone said earlier. A big truck....a long big truck driving by. It wasn't really annoying though.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:23 PM

332 posts, read 1,323,432 times
Welcome to Texas... we pay higher property taxes here in part because there is no state income tax. 2.5 - 3% is not that unusual for any of the newer master-planned communities.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:39 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
The train is really just a drone. The only reason that it gets noticed is due to the complete lack of other noise. No highway/main road drone, the occasional light plane, but that's about it. Being set back from 6 makes it really, really quiet.

The tax isn't bad, don't forget that property tax is tax deductable too. Besides, you get significantly more for your dollar.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:04 AM

103 posts, read 437,959 times
The tax IS brutal. I complain about it all the time. But it's like my neighbor says it keeps the riff-raff out. And don't forget the $895 to HOA due every January. A lot of people complain about this too, but Sienna is maintained very well and in that aspect I think the money's well spent. We have so many fun activities throughout the year. we have the trails. sports complex pools to maintain. Now the FBCAD I feel is another story. Best of luck!

Old 12-23-2009, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,932 times
Did you ever find a house? We live on the tracks ~ have for 8 years ~ and are getting ready to list ours ~ the tracks bother us so little that we are looking at another house that is also on the tracks! If you haven't found one yet and would like some details on mine let me know! Could be just what you're looking for!

Old 12-25-2009, 03:33 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,902 times
Whats so crazy is that the track has been there since slavery. Waters Plantation which is now Sienna, on the banks of the Brazos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston