Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 02:59 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
Why is it hard to believe people shop there?!? Lots of people work downtown and have lunch hours to burn. That store has bailed me out many times. Don't have a gift for the baby shower after work? Just run over to Macy's during lunch. Break a heal off stepping in a sidewalk crack? Limp over to Macy's and buy a new pair.
Because the building looks like a state correctional facility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 03:09 PM

4,377 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
I nominate that old Macy's as the ugliest building in the history of the US. Houston should declare it a national landmark. Japanese tourists should come and take pictures of it. I can't believe people shop there.
That's a bit too much. Ugliest building in the US?? LOL

Old 12-28-2012, 03:40 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
That's a bit too much. Ugliest building in the US?? LOL
It's in the running. It's got my vote. It's pretty ugly.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:47 PM

418 posts, read 741,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
Why is it hard to believe people shop there?!? Lots of people work downtown and have lunch hours to burn. That store has bailed me out many times. Don't have a gift for the baby shower after work? Just run over to Macy's during lunch. Break a heel off stepping in a sidewalk crack? Limp over to Macy's and buy a new pair.
Is editing not allowed after a certain amount of time? Wanted to fix my spelling error in the original post, but it won't let me. Heel, not heal.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:09 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,851,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
It's in the running. It's got my vote. It's pretty ugly.
The Macy's building is only slightly better looking than that monster with the crown on it's head in Memorial City.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:05 PM

568 posts, read 1,128,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
The Macy's building is only slightly better looking than that monster with the crown on it's head in Memorial City.

lololololol

Old 01-01-2013, 10:18 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Development may sprout near Greenway Plaza | Prime Property | a Chron.com blog
Quote:
Is the developer of CityCentre (and the new owner of Houston Pavilions) planning a high-end real estate development inside Loop 610? The Munoz + Albin architecture firm website shows these renderings of a mixed-use project planned around what appears to be Levy Park, a public park tucked along Eastside Street near Richmond in the Greenway Plaza area.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:12 AM

571 posts, read 1,281,530 times
Why not demolish the Macy's building, move it into The Pavillions (b/c Lord knows Books a Million is going to leave a huge ass space...which is smaller than the current Macy's) and develop the chasm that the old Macy's is sure to leave into...oh, I don't know...AN ACTUAL SQUARE!! That way "Main St. Square" will have an actual freakin' square w/ space for maybe a food truck or two? Picnic tables...a green space. Make it sort of like Market Square only in a different part of downtown for people who might not have time/are unable to walk all the way down to Market Square during lunch or after work? Hell, maybe pay homage to the former store and call it Macy's Square? Article I've read say that Macy's will move to a "smaller space nearby" - I read this as the former Books-A-Million space (or somewhere else in The Pavillions).

Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
Why not demolish the Macy's building, move it into The Pavillions (b/c Lord knows Books a Million is going to leave a huge ass space...which is smaller than the current Macy's) and develop the chasm that the old Macy's is sure to leave into...oh, I don't know...AN ACTUAL SQUARE!! That way "Main St. Square" will have an actual freakin' square w/ space for maybe a food truck or two? Picnic tables...a green space. Make it sort of like Market Square only in a different part of downtown for people who might not have time/are unable to walk all the way down to Market Square during lunch or after work? Hell, maybe pay homage to the former store and call it Macy's Square? Article I've read say that Macy's will move to a "smaller space nearby" - I read this as the former Books-A-Million space (or somewhere else in The Pavillions).
Your idea would be limited by the fact that it's not commercially viable. The owner that pays taxes on that land would naturally like to make the best business decision when considering development options. A square would have the capacity to bring in very limited revenue. Perhaps boosters could put some of their own money into play and proceed with your idea.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 AM

571 posts, read 1,281,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Your idea would be limited by the fact that it's not commercially viable. The owner that pays taxes on that land would naturally like to make the best business decision when considering development options. A square would have the capacity to bring in very limited revenue. Perhaps boosters could put some of their own money into play and proceed with your idea.
Yeah, that's true. Too bad Mr. Harvey Finger (I think his first name is Harvey) can't develop an apartment complex there with room for a grocery store on the ground level. How wild would it be if there were a Whole Foods in the heart of downtown Houston!? People would frequent the foods area for lunch and then you'd have several stories of apts up above. There's a lot of potential for that space and I just hope the right people make the right decisions so it doesn't end up being another empty parking lot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston