Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 05:46 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times

Advertisements

It's kinda sad, because I think the anti-rail folks have succeeded -- perhaps unintentionally, for most -- in getting Houston into a situation that is the worst of worlds for all of us. That is, an underfunded and poorly designed mess of a rail system that interferes with street traffic. My preference would be a good rail system or none at all (which is what the anti-rail crowd would be happiest with). Rather than try to explain here, I suggest you google Whitmire + Honolulu. Even if you don't like her, I think she gives a good explanation of why Houston failed and why Honolulu may succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 11:15 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
I believe people would be in much more support of rail expansion if the city invested into a more efficent and quality system. We're really just settling here.

I want rail just as much as the next rail enthusiast, but what we're getting is bull****. They could have at least elevated the damn thing.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:14 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Designers envision new future for Galveston Bay waterfront | Prime Property | a Chron.com blog

Old 05-07-2012, 07:40 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I believe people would be in much more support of rail expansion if the city invested into a more efficent and quality system. We're really just settling here.

I want rail just as much as the next rail enthusiast, but what we're getting is bull****. They could have at least elevated the damn thing.
If Houston could stop expanding and building new freeways and direct the funding to mass transit then they could afford to build a decent system. But no, first they have to widen 610N, 45N, and 290.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:31 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:

Because again, what you're getting is a tram. If they called it what it actually is, there wouldn't be as much confusion. This is in London. It's exactly like what Houston is building.

Part of a London tram circuit - YouTube

What you all are looking for is a rapid transit system. Or basically a light metro or heavy metro rail system. Houston is not building this.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:13 PM

686 posts, read 1,168,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Not Dead, but Diverted. It Went from Westheimer and Post Oak, to Richmond and Post Oak now, last I heard it will be near Bellaire and Rice. That is of a Gulfton line than a Galleria Line and the Ridership won't be anywhere near as much as the Original University line running nearer the Galleria.
That's quite sad as well.....do you have any maps/renderings of the newest route?

Old 05-07-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:

I agree, but the anti rail lobby in houston has a lot of clout. it's unfortunate that this is what we are stuck with......Perhaps after light rail is completed within the Loop we can get a different type of rail out to the beltways.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:10 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
I agree, but the anti rail lobby in houston has a lot of clout. it's unfortunate that this is what we are stuck with......Perhaps after light rail is completed within the Loop we can get a different type of rail out to the beltways.
Not only will the rail have to be different outside the loop. It must go inside it as well and it must be rapid transit. The current rail as it stands will run no faster than 30 mph and it stops at traffic lights. Who in the world is going to take that from IAH to Downtown Houston? Or from Katy to Uptown. You can build light rail. But make sure it has it's own ROW. Elevated could work in Houston.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:56 PM

I would have preferred elevated Rail like they have in Singapore.

Singapore MTR

Old 05-07-2012, 03:04 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
That's quite sad as well.....do you have any maps/renderings of the newest route?
for half of its run it will be south of 59:

It runs through a heavily populated area but NOT the galleria area as previously planned. So that means it doesn't run along Westheimer, Alabama, Richmond or Westpark in the Galleria.

Quote:
I would have preferred elevated Rail like they have in Singapore.

Singapore MTR
maybe we will get one of those straight down Westheimer in the future.

The University line would be far enough to not be overkill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston