Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:50 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times

Advertisements

Just got an email from Reliant park, they gave me a link and said I can be apart of bringing FIFA world cup 2018 to Houston. That I should sign to validate my support and demand for it.

Houston, TX | Bid City | Go USA Bid

If you would like to see Houston get the FIFA world cup please sign. And by then our new Dynamo stadium will be done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 10:02 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Yeah, I signed that thing earlier this year. Houston has one of the most signatures out of the 18 cities listed. More than double the signatures that the Dallas bid has.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Yeah, I signed that thing earlier this year. Houston has one of the most signatures out of the 18 cities listed. More than double the signatures that the Dallas bid has.
Dallas is one of the least likely to get it. FC Dallas has a terrible record, it'll definitely scare some soccer fans.

Oh wow, would you look at my wreckless typo in the title of the thread.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:17 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
FIFA World Cup in Houston ?
Wow that would be enormous for Houston, this city would become very known in the world
I sign it

Old 05-15-2010, 10:19 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Dallas is one of the least likely to get it. FC Dallas has a terrible record, it'll definitely scare some soccer fans.

Oh wow, would you look at my wreckless typo in the title of the thread.
Not to mention Houston is more of a soccer area than Dallas. Let's just say this, if Houston had the Cowboys Stadium, it would be a no-brainer in picking Houston over Dallas (well, Arlington really), for some of the games. I think both cities can each get a few games though.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Not to mention Houston is more of a soccer area than Dallas. Let's just say this, if Houston had the Cowboys Stadium, it would be a no-brainer in picking Houston over Dallas (well, Arlington really), for some of the games. I think both cities can each get a few games though.
Lol, they should just follow the Ranger's example and change their names from "Dallas (enter sports team name here) to Texas (enter sports team name here).

I mean considering most of their teams don't even play in the metropolitan division of Dallas.
Plus Fort Worth's up and coming.

And yes RenaudFR, this will do to Houston what the Olympics did to Atlanta, maybe a lesser extent.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:04 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,593 times
If you know how FIFA works (soccer world wide governing body) you might not be so hopefull. See story below:

From BigSoccer.com:

"Let's start by taking Blatter at his word: he's openly telling bidders that 2018 is reserved for Europe and all the Japans and Koreas and Australias and USA's need to forget that one and focus on 2022. Europe insists on it, Blatter can't survive without it and - not that it matters much - it's the right thing to do.

So most non-European bidders aren't even mentioning 2018 any more and have expunged any reference to it from their proposals. For "the rest of the world" it's 2022 or bust.

In Europe, the bids are Spain/Portugal, the Netherlands/Belgium, England and Russia. And before anyone wants to debate whether Russia is really in Europe, forget it: they're members of UEFA.

Want more proof? Their bid is for 2018 only.

What's more Blatter LOVES THE IDEA of a Russian finals.

Now it's true that as all these FIFA poobahs swan around the globe for their personal "presentation" in each country, they'll all leave the meeting full of happy chat about how splendid the proposal is and what a wonderful World Cup (fill in the country) would present.

But here's the money quote from El Presidente, presented without the slightest hint of irony:

"Russia is not a country but a continent and Russia has big plans to expand.

Leaving aside for the moment the fact that Russia's "plans to expand" are currently scaring crud out of most of their neighbors, and also the idea that, apparently, Blatter thinks this is a good thing, we'll go with "continent" as being the key word here.

Sepp is determined to span the globe with World Cups, boldly going where no man has gone before, and if he can do that from a "personal legacy" standpoint and still a) satisfy Europe and b) find a place where nobody will care about the graft, theft, bribery and general underhandedness, count him in.

Stiffing England costs him nothing. They have no power, the rest of Europe isn't likely to care if it goes East instead of West (well, OK, Northwest) and nobody in England is prepared to close their eyes while FIFA's executives conduct their quadrennial pillaging of world football.

Russia, not so much.

As for the USA, well, it was nice thinking about it but Qatar will kick our ass.

Don't believe me? Here's Seppy:

“The Arab world deserves to host the World Cup. We are now nearing the end of the bidding process for the World Cups in 2018 and 2022 and Qatar is the only country bidding from the Middle East.

I was an advocate of the FIFA’s rotation policy. It was important to bring the World Cup to North America and Africa. Now I strongly feel that the World Cup should come to Qatar.”

"To bring the World Cup to Africa was a project I had in mind 35 years ago, when in February 1976 I undertook a technical course in Addis Ababa. The Arabic world deserves a World Cup.

They have 22 countries and have not had
any opportunity to organise the tournament. When I was first in Qatar there were 400,000 people here and now there are 1.6 million. In terms of infrastructure, when you are able to organise the Asian Games in 2006, with more than 30 events for men and women, then that is not in question."

To save your eyes, I'll summarize:

"They've got lots and lots of lovely money they'll happily give me in return for a World Cup."

The world (and particularly Australia) was aghast when Aussie bid chair Peter Lowey asked the government for $48 million for their bid effort. Remember that the FIFA Executive Committee, consisting of 24 guys, decides these things by majority vote. Which means you only need 12 votes. You do the math.

Well Qatar recently announced that their budget for a World Cup bid is $150 million.

Hey, postage is going up. And have you priced Xerox paper lately?

There are two major drawbacks for Qatar:

The first is the fact that we're talking summertime in the desert here. Players will be dropping like flies.

Simple, say the oil-money-besotted princes: we'll BUILD UNDERGROUND PRACTICE FACILITIES AND AIR CONDITION THE STADIUMS

Their engineers say it can be done if you are willing to spend the money. Which is nice because as it happens Qatar could build the stadiums out of US $100 bills if they wanted.

(I'll be honest: as much as I'd love a US World Cup, I would love to see that stuff too.)

The other main problem is, well, not so easily dealt with:

They don't allow booze.

No word on how they'll get around that one, but bet me they haven't got a solution in mond. No sane person would propose a World Cup where nobody can have a drink.

Two New Frontiers for football. Two countries willing to slosh money around by the truckload. Two countries that aren't going to be at all squeamish about all the skulduggery.

Russia and Qatar. Sorry guys."

Old 05-15-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
If you know how FIFA works (soccer world wide governing body) you might not be so hopefull. See story below:

From BigSoccer.com:

"Let's start by taking Blatter at his word: he's openly telling bidders that 2018 is reserved for Europe and all the Japans and Koreas and Australias and USA's need to forget that one and focus on 2022. Europe insists on it, Blatter can't survive without it and - not that it matters much - it's the right thing to do.

So most non-European bidders aren't even mentioning 2018 any more and have expunged any reference to it from their proposals. For "the rest of the world" it's 2022 or bust.

In Europe, the bids are Spain/Portugal, the Netherlands/Belgium, England and Russia. And before anyone wants to debate whether Russia is really in Europe, forget it: they're members of UEFA.

Now it's true that as all these FIFA poobahs swan around the globe for their personal "presentation" in each country, they'll all leave the meeting full of happy chat about how splendid the proposal is and what a wonderful World Cup (fill in the country) would present.

But here's the money quote from El Presidente, presented without the slightest hint of irony:

Leaving aside for the moment the fact that Russia's "plans to expand" are currently scaring crud out of most of their neighbors, and also the idea that, apparently, Blatter thinks this is a good thing, we'll go with "continent" as being the key word here.

Sepp is determined to span the globe with World Cups, boldly going where no man has gone before, and if he can do that from a "personal legacy" standpoint and still a) satisfy Europe and b) find a place where nobody will care about the graft, theft, bribery and general underhandedness, count him in.

Stiffing England costs him nothing. They have no power, the rest of Europe isn't likely to care if it goes East instead of West (well, OK, Northwest) and nobody in England is prepared to close their eyes while FIFA's executives conduct their quadrennial pillaging of world football.

Russia, not so much.

As for the USA, well, it was nice thinking about it but Qatar will kick our ass.

“The Arab world deserves to host the World Cup. We are now nearing the end of the bidding process for the World Cups in 2018 and 2022 and Qatar is the only country bidding from the Middle East.

I was an advocate of the FIFA’s rotation policy. It was important to bring the World Cup to North America and Africa. Now I strongly feel that the World Cup should come to Qatar.”

"To bring the World Cup to Africa was a project I had in mind 35 years ago, when in February 1976 I undertook a technical course in Addis Ababa. The Arabic world deserves a World Cup.

any opportunity to organise the tournament. When I was first in Qatar there were 400,000 people here and now there are 1.6 million. In terms of infrastructure, when you are able to organise the Asian Games in 2006, with more than 30 events for men and women, then that is not in question."

"They've got lots and lots of lovely money they'll happily give me in return for a World Cup."

The world (and particularly Australia) was aghast when Aussie bid chair Peter Lowey asked the government for $48 million for their bid effort. Remember that the FIFA Executive Committee, consisting of 24 guys, decides these things by majority vote. Which means you only need 12 votes. You do the math.

Well Qatar recently announced that their budget for a World Cup bid is $150 million.

The first is the fact that we're talking summertime in the desert here. Players will be dropping like flies.

Simple, say the oil-money-besotted princes: we'll BUILD UNDERGROUND PRACTICE FACILITIES AND AIR CONDITION THE STADIUMS

Their engineers say it can be done if you are willing to spend the money. Which is nice because as it happens Qatar could build the stadiums out of US $100 bills if they wanted.

(I'll be honest: as much as I'd love a US World Cup, I would love to see that stuff too.)

They don't allow booze.

No word on how they'll get around that one, but bet me they haven't got a solution in mond. No sane person would propose a World Cup where nobody can have a drink.

Two New Frontiers for football. Two countries willing to slosh money around by the truckload. Two countries that aren't going to be at all squeamish about all the skulduggery.

The thing to sign for is for both, 2018 and 2022. Not just 2018.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:09 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post

From BigSoccer.com:

Russia, not so much.

They don't allow booze.

I see.Houston will find other things to attract tourists Like Theme Parks lol

Old 05-15-2010, 11:11 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Oh yeah, I signed this on Facebook a week ago when my friend posted it on my wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston