Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:41 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Then in that case, if it's so laughable why don't you show me something that says other wise.

Find me an article, maybe two that has another hospital in the country better in cancer treatment, then I'll consider what you're saying.
I remember when I lived in Cleveland I would hear about wealthy sheiks and other high profile individuals flying in for treatment at the Cleveland Clinic (another highly regarded medical institution). If the TMC is the best hands down then why did they not go there? I'm not saying the Cleveland Clinic is necessary better than the TMC, but I think oakparkdude has a good point in saying that a lot of it has to do with methodology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 11:45 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I remember when I lived in Cleveland I would hear about wealthy sheiks and other high profile individuals flying in for treatment at the Cleveland Clinic (another highly regarded medical institution). If the TMC is the best hands down then why did they not go there? I'm not saying the Cleveland Clinic is necessary better than the TMC, but I think oakparkdude has a good point in saying that a lot of it has to do with methodology.
Don't know, that argument was months ago, long back when I was new to the site and I just hated how people always had to discredit where I'm from every single thread. It's fine though, I really don't care much anymore either way though, its not really something that I can keep pace to continue to elaborate on.

Last edited by DANNYY; 02-23-2011 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: Tweak.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:45 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Yes. I have never heard that the Texas Medical Center is the best in the country, let alone the world. The best in the country that I always hear about are; John's Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic and Mayo Clinic.

Texas will likely have to introduce new taxes or increase existing taxes to offset the budget deficit. If not, it will just be something else that comes out of the pockets of its residents, so things are already "maturing" and/or degrading there. It's just a part of growth.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:47 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Yes. I have never heard that the Texas Medical Center is the best in the country, let alone the world. The best in the country that I always hear about are; John's Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic and Mayo Clinic.

Texas will likely have to introduce new taxes or increase existing taxes to offset the budget deficit. If not, it will just be something else that comes out of the pockets of its residents, so things are already "maturing" and/or degrading there. It's just a part of growth.
That won't happen, sorry.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:52 AM

Don't apologize....I said you'll be paying, one way or another, on average of about $1,000 or so per resident ($25 billion / 25 million residents). Good luck!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Yes. I have never heard that the Texas Medical Center is the best in the country, let alone the world.
Two things.

No one here has claimed its the best in the world. I don't know where in devils name you keep getting your ideas from.
Quote:
No it doesn't, New York has the highest state budget deficit per capita, and theirs keeps going up.

Texas is one of the only few states to do their budget handling's on a two year basis, so having a $27 Billion shortfall for two years comes out to $13.5 Billion each year compared to New York's $15 Billion & Illinois's $14 Billion for one year each. Yeah right, give me a freakin break if you actually believe it had to have been for one year like all of the other states.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Don't apologize....I said you'll be paying, one way or another, on average of about $1,000 or so per resident ($25 billion / 25 million residents). Good luck!
I'm not Texan.And you must be SO jealous
Texas tax increases ? Rick Perry said NO.Spending cuts only

Old 02-23-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
I'm not Texan.And you must be SO jealous
Texas tax increases ? Rick Perry said NO.Spending cuts only
Whew! He said "no", then I guess it can't happen then, huh? I'm not jealous, just helping you put life into perspective. You're welcome!

Old 02-23-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Do you understand how budget deficits work exactly? Because your post really doesn't imply that you know what they signify. People don't personally pay out of their own pockets for them as "debts". Those are budget estimates for government funded services in education, government agencies (police, fire department, etc), & medical services (state owned hospitals and things like that). When a budget deficit is high, they cancel services funded by the government, can raise taxes or lower them, or lay off employee's who work for the state in any given way. They don't go door to door asking to collect any debt.

Do you know that there's a difference between debt & budget deficit?

Minnesota Debt Per Capita (Individuals): $866
Texas Debt Per Capita (Individuals): $520

Source: Interactive: Is Your State A Debt Disaster? - Forbes.com

Texas has a total state debt of $81,128,512,515
Minnesota has a total state debt of $21,206,734,818

Source Texas: Texas state budget - Sunshine Review
Source Minnesota: Minnesota state budget - Sunshine Review

And then to get an idea of terms with "Per Capita" look at the population of both states.

Texas: 25.1 Million People
Minnesota: 5.3 Million People

Notice something? Minnesota has a higher state debt per capita than Texas. Not saying there's anything good or bad about this but seriously if you're going to sit there acting so tough and throwing stones, make sure you're not living in a glass house yourself.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Whew! He said "no", then I guess it can't happen then, huh? I'm not jealous, just helping you put life into perspective. You're welcome!
The new budget is over, 100% spending cuts and fee increases.This is the real life into perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston