Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:21 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Two things.

No one here has claimed its the best in the world. I don't know where in devils name you keep getting your ideas from.

No it doesn't, New York has the highest state budget deficit per capita, and theirs keeps going up.

Texas is one of the only few states to do their budget handling's on a two year basis, so having a $27 Billion shortfall for two years comes out to $13.5 Billion each year compared to New York's $15 Billion & Illinois's $14 Billion for one year each. Yeah right, give me a freakin break if you actually believe it had to have been for one year like all of the other states.
Somebody just said it and now it looks like it was deleted.....that was what I was referring to. I don't just make things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 12:21 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
DANNY, you should really shut your mouth and mind your business. I never said MN doesn't have a deficit problem, but you Texans act like it's no big deal. Plus, MN has income taxes, TX doesn't. We can pay for deficits currently because we have different ways of generating the revenue, Texas' is limited. Texas has been successful but it is built on a lot of debt. Big deal.
Hostile much?

You were so tough and mighty when you were out bashing the state. It's my right to defend where I live, and I'm from Chicago, born and raised there and still live there. So don't give me this trash talk about "you Texans", I never considered myself a Texan from the start. Look, this isn't a bash fest, I am going to defend where I live and if you post inaccurate information then I will quote you for it.

You clearly don't know anything about how state debt works at all, I mean seriously? Enjoy paying "$1,000 per capita hahaha" really? Again, you're confusing debt with budget deficit, Minnesota actually DOESN'T have much of a budget deficit problem, unless you consider $1.3 Billion bad. But to go around trying to paint Texas off as the worst like you're doing doesn't fly with me if its wrong information and I don't give a flipping care who the devil you think you are.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Hostile much?

You were so tough and mighty when you were out bashing the state. It's my right to defend where I live, and I'm from Chicago, born and raised there and still live there. So don't give me this trash talk about "you Texans". Look, this isn't a bash fest, I am going to defend where I live and if you post inaccurate information then I will quote you for it.

You clearly don't know anything about how state debt works at all, I mean seriously? Enjoy paying "$1,000 per capita hahaha" really?
The only inaccurate info I had was how much debt was for 2010, other than that I'm just demonstrating how this will affect residents, and originally I didn't say it was "bad", just that it's part of growth/maturity. You baby Texans always tend to cry when somebody point out what is wrong with this or that with Texas, and you get overly defensive.

You may have been victim to Texas schooling or something, but you are $1000 POORER per capita for making up the deficit/shortfall/debt. I don't care HOW you slice it. For example, you can pay for Medical benefits out of your paycheck directly or receive less medical coverage.....they amount to the same EXPENSE to you.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:29 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
Quote:
You are so f_ing ridiculous! A spending "cut" or "fee increase" comes from YOUR pocket, not the State's and not the Federal Govt. It's a SAVINGS because you'll be paying more for the same services, or receive less services for the same cost. Again, YOU'RE WELCOME!
Relax mec

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 04:57 PM..

Old 02-23-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Hostile much?

You were so tough and mighty when you were out bashing the state. It's my right to defend where I live, and I'm from Chicago, born and raised there and still live there. So don't give me this trash talk about "you Texans", I never considered myself a Texan from the start. Look, this isn't a bash fest, I am going to defend where I live and if you post inaccurate information then I will quote you for it.

You clearly don't know anything about how state debt works at all, I mean seriously? Enjoy paying "$1,000 per capita hahaha" really? Again, you're confusing debt with budget deficit, Minnesota actually DOESN'T have much of a budget deficit problem, unless you consider $1.3 Billion bad. But to go around trying to paint Texas off as the worst like you're doing doesn't fly with me if its wrong information and I don't give a flipping care who the devil you think you are.
Are you finished whining? I already said I didn't know it was a 2-year shortfall, but it's a shortfall nonetheless that needs to be adjusted.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Hostile much?

Don't be angry, let's play with him

Old 02-23-2011, 12:34 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
The only inaccurate info I had was how much debt was for 2010, other than that I'm just demonstrating how this will affect residents, and originally I didn't say it was "bad", just that it's part of growth/maturity. You baby Texans always tend to cry when somebody point out what is wrong with this or that with Texas, and you get overly defensive.
Doesn't matter though. And stop calling me and generalizing me as a Texan, I'm from Chicago and I'm Asian, so quit with your peach talk. Defensive? Says the guy getting hostile over some information, yeah right. You're really starting to annoy me off with these generalizations now. I'm fine with someone pointing out the faults for Texas, frankly I don't even care for much of the state outside of Houston & Austin and maybe a few other areas, but when you do it inaccurately, expect to be quoted.
Quote:
You may have been victim to Texas schooling or something, but you are $1000 POORER per capita for making up the deficit/shortfall/debt. I don't care HOW you slice it. For example, you can pay for Medical benefits out of your paycheck directly or receive less medical coverage.....they amount to the same EXPENSE to you.
No they don't, and now you're bridging what state debt and state budget deficit is again. The Texas state government has to implement initiatives to recover the losses from the state debt, not each individual personel unless they raise any form of taxes in which case then it comes out of an individuals pocket. But prior to state constitutions, they can do that legally, fluctuation of state taxes are common. Illinois just implemented that themselves. So there can be talks of processing new variations of taxes, that doesn't mean that its justified of finalized yet, its just a procedure that every state goes through when they have large deficits.

The per capita basis for budget deficit is a metric, it doesn't hold weight in what the population itself has to pay, its just a measurement to calculate how large the shortfall for the state is in general.

So explain to me how the budget deficit has personally touched my life yet, since you want to act like you know everything there is to it.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
You're getting SCHOOLED Wonderful Jellal.....who's playing with whom?
You like that ? huh kiddo

Old 02-23-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter though. And stop calling me and generalizing me as a Texan, I'm from Chicago and I'm Asian, so quit with your peach talk. Defensive? Says the guy getting hostile over some information, yeah right. You're really starting to annoy me off with these generalizations now.

No they don't, and now you're bridging what state debt and state budget deficit is again. The Texas state government has to implement initiatives to recover the losses from the state debt, not each individual personel unless they raise any form of taxes in which case then it comes out of an individuals pocket. But prior to state constitutions, they can do that legally, fluctuation of state taxes are common. Illinois just implemented that themselves.

So explain to me how the budget deficit has personally touched my life yet, genius since you want to act like you know everything there is to it.
I'm reacting to YOUR insecurities....if I was wrong about something you could point it out nicely instead of name-calling or generalizing yourself. What goes around comes around. And I know you are multi-cultural, here and abroad. But you are defending Texas right now and since you did live there, I'm calling you a "Texan" instead of a "Texan-Chicagoan-Indian-etc."

I thought I just explained it: you are losing services instead of paying taxes. Okay, so here in MN, we pay income taxes to support a range of things, including medicare and schools. Instead of paying taxes in Texas, they are cutting services that are offered to the residents.

Here's a formula that may help you: A = L + OE

"A" can be the benefits you receive as a taxpayer/resident
"L + OE" can be the costs you pay or the sacrifices you make to get "A"

You can reduce either side of the equation and the result is the same. Since Texas is $27 billion in the hole, either the left side or the right side of the equation needs to be reduced by that amount, and then the other side of the equation needs to be reduced to offset that. So whether you pay taxes (L+OE) or reduce benefits (A), there is $27 billion less value in Texas.

I hope you understand what I mean now.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
You like that ? huh kiddo
I did! Thanks for bending over for me!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston