Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 05:37 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times

Advertisements

"The Waterway provides a vital urban transportation (vehicle and pedestrian) within a heavily used regional business and commercial center."

Got to be kidding me.

Stimulus Money For Woodlands Boats Draws Critics - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/23662654/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 05:52 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times
What... the.... heck..... we're spending money on that?! While other states and cities out there are suffering, why can't we use it for better transportation since we need that more than this.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:57 AM

958 posts, read 2,574,697 times
Yay.....

Old 05-25-2010, 06:15 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
That story was on the news, only it was more complete. The money used for that white elephant project in the Woodlands was specifically earmarked for the repair of roads and bridges in Houston. Roads that are the bumpiest and in the most deplorable condition in the entire USA.

Your govt at work at it's best. What would happen if you and I managed our money like your govt manages theirs?

Old 05-25-2010, 06:22 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,275,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Roads that are the bumpiest and in the most deplorable condition in the entire USA.
When was the last time you were up in the rust belt? Many of their bridges are made of old, rusting steel. Go there, then compare Houston's roadways again.

Anyway, if they will do that for the Woodlands, maybe they should build a ditch around Katy Mills Mall, flood it, then put in some of those Bass Pro Shop boats they have sitting in that parking lot and call it a transportation system.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:10 AM

497 posts, read 1,485,984 times
Print money! Party hard! Print more money! Are you stimulated yet? The Greeks sure are! But the leftists there are still demanding More More More.

It's a strong delusion...

Old 05-25-2010, 10:23 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Your govt at work at it's best. What would happen if you and I managed our money like your govt manages theirs?
Hah. I would love to see how you would manage trillions of dollars.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:44 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
That is one of the most fascinating comments I have ever seen. There are too many zeros so it is impossible not to deficit spend?

There are other words I could use besides "fascinating".

It is very, very simple. Do not buy things that you do not have the money for. Do not promise benefits that you cannot possibly fund. Do not lie to people and tell them they can have everything they want. Ever.

By 'ever' I do not mean - never lie. I mean people will never have everything they want. Never.

They especially cannot have everything they want right now.

If I was dictator the budget would be in the black in 3 years and we would be paying off our debt. They only reason it would take 3 years is because I wouldn't want to shock the system too quickly given the current unemployment levels.

Lucky for you I will never be dictator. I'm sure you would hate me.

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:20 PM

882 posts, read 2,246,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobtm View Post
That is one of the most fascinating comments I have ever seen. There are too many zeros so it is impossible not to deficit spend?

There are other words I could use besides "fascinating".

It is very, very simple. Do not buy things that you do not have the money for. Do not promise benefits that you cannot possibly fund. Do not lie to people and tell them they can have everything they want. Ever.

By 'ever' I do not mean - never lie. I mean people will never have everything they want. Never.

They especially cannot have everything they want right now.

If I was dictator the budget would be in the black in 3 years and we would be paying off our debt. They only reason it would take 3 years is because I wouldn't want to shock the system too quickly given the current unemployment levels.

Lucky for you I will never be dictator. I'm sure you would hate me.

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation.
I wish it were that simple to govern the worlds most powerful nation and economy.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:55 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Is that a dare or a sarcastic clueless curiosity? Any one of us, including you can manage money better then your (not mine) govt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston