Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,060 times

Advertisements

Karen,
The Ona/Milton area is beautiful. Cabell Midland HS is top Notch as is Milton Middle School. We relocated from a suburb of Chicago, I thought I was in for a culture shock and what pleasantly suprised to find such genuine, warm, friendly people. They still have malls, fast food, expressways, not that much different, except the BEAUTY--in every direction, including the people.
I would search Ona, there are absoultly beautiful houses there, the closer you get to Cabell Midland HS the happier you will be. Location is everything as the further out you go, the longer it takes to get anywhere as everything is skirted off of the main road RTE 60. I64 You can get a 5 bedroom 3 full bath brick home in the low 3's-it would go for over a million in Chicago, taxes....these people do not know taxes....2200 vrs the 7500 I was paying! It's living the life we were all meant to live in WV! Best of luck to you, and you will love it here if you do the relo!
ChicagoWVgirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 04:29 AM

16 posts, read 62,064 times
Thanks for the info on the schools. I know that top-notch schools can make a whole area good. Besides, I'm a teacher, and maybe I can substitute there. My husband and I are empty nesters in our ealy 50's, so 5-bedroom would be a bit too large (although I know you only used that as an example). We'd really like to find something with a first floor master bedroom or a ranch-style home (which is what we have now). That's why we'd probably end up building a new home. So, what we need to find is land, a new development, or a model home that the builder is selling.
I looked at the stores in area malls (on line), and they are pretty much what we have here in Dayton. These days, just about anything can be bought on the internet, but I still like to actually see some of what I want to purchase.
I will miss my favorite quilt shop here though. I'll be sure to post if my hubby decides that he wants to take this position.
Karen

Old 10-04-2007, 06:21 AM

4,959 posts, read 8,957,096 times
There are a few quilt and yarn shops in the area so you should be OK from that standpoint. I know of at least one in Barboursville and one in Huntington with another yarn/various item shop in Huntington. Those are just the ones that I have driven past and seen so there are likely more. Hope this helps.
Tim

Old 10-06-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Found you a home!

Karen,
I am not sure with the stress of relocating that you really want to deal with building down here. Friends of ours were supposed to be in their new house by beginning of summer and looks like they won't even be able to get in by Christmas! This is not the first time I've heard of this.
I did some searching for you and found a BEAUTIFUL house in Ona, right across from the High School and within 10 minutes from Huntington Mall and the expressways! You're about 15-20 minutes from Huntington. Still feels like you are secluded, yet in an ABSOULETLY BEAUTIFUL new subdivision. It's only a 4 year old house, 5 bedrooms, 3 full baths (master has jazuzzi) and a french doored walk out BASEMENT (Basements are very, very hard to come by down here). It has a heated pool (which we have HOT weather here-so you will be able to enjoy it!) two decks for relaxing and entertaining. I took a look at it and it is beautiful, they are only asking 325,000.00 for it, taxes are 2200.00. Look at Prudential Bunch Realtors for Ona, WV or on Realtor.com and follow the links. This one is a STEAL for the money and location!
Best of luck!

Old 10-06-2007, 12:42 PM

Default also...

It has a first floor bedroom suite with a full bath. Just thought I'd let you know.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:07 AM

16 posts, read 62,064 times
That's a really nice house, although I'd have to see it in person. When I look at "used homes" I bring a pad of paer and make a "to do" list of things we'd need to change, update, etc. The first floor master is essential wherever we go. We're baby boomers, and we know how detrimental stairs can be (learned it after a surgery).

We were considering building because we like really open floor plans and high ceilings. Also, since I'm a teacher, I'd stay here in Dayton to finish out the school year, so I feel like we'd have time. I could even teach another year (or maybe a half year), and my hubby could do the "weekend home" routine. It's just under 3 hours to drive between here and there.

We'll be going to the Huntington-Charleston area sometime after this weekend to look around. He doesn't have to give an answer yet about the promotion and transfer. In fact, he's been offered an alternate transfer in another state, and we're considering that one, too.

Decisions...decisions...
Karen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington