Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2022, 11:22 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War-Lord View Post
I would be okay with an Atlantic league team or Appalachian league.

Since the Appalachian League is now a collegiate summer league, it might work. It would take either an existing team relocating or another town/city joining because the league is at 10 teams now.

As for the Atlantic League, there could be territorial issues with the Dirty Birds. I'm not familiar with the leagues rules regarding any potential territories, but if I'm the owner of the team in Charleston, I'm fighting a team being placed in Huntington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 05:21 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Since the Appalachian League is now a collegiate summer league, it might work. It would take either an existing team relocating or another town/city joining because the league is at 10 teams now.

As for the Atlantic League, there could be territorial issues with the Dirty Birds. I'm not familiar with the leagues rules regarding any potential territories, but if I'm the owner of the team in Charleston, I'm fighting a team being placed in Huntington.
That would make a great rivalry game. With the cities that close together, they could draw a big crowd for the games between the two teams.

Old 06-22-2022, 11:57 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
I think having some type of minor league baseball at the field would be great, otherwise it would be wasting the potential of the field. Especially if it ends up being a $30 million field as requested, it’s going to be one of the nicer fields available for such a team.

It’s sounding like a new Kroger between 5th and 3rd Aves is more likely to happen. I’m hearing that Marshall is already making plans for the old Kroger lot to put a new track complex. Being right across from the soccer field, I’d imagine they’ll use the inner field for at least a soccer practice field. Sounds like this’ll be a win-win for everyone.

Last edited by tbailey1138; 06-22-2022 at 01:17 PM..

Old 06-23-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I think having some type of minor league baseball at the field would be great, otherwise it would be wasting the potential of the field. Especially if it ends up being a $30 million field as requested, it’s going to be one of the nicer fields available for such a team.

It’s sounding like a new Kroger between 5th and 3rd Aves is more likely to happen. I’m hearing that Marshall is already making plans for the old Kroger lot to put a new track complex. Being right across from the soccer field, I’d imagine they’ll use the inner field for at least a soccer practice field. Sounds like this’ll be a win-win for everyone.

I like the Kroger/Track complex swap idea. IF it comes to be, I hope that a parking garage is included in the plans for the old Kroger/new track complex. Actually, I hope that a new Kroger between 5th and 3rd Avenues also includes a new parking garage. Even if it's only one or two stories, the space above the parking could be used for development as well.

Old 06-23-2022, 06:10 PM

I’d be surprised if MU doesn’t build a new parking garage at some point to be used for fans watching football, baseball and softball. It’ll be another way to spruce that area up and take out some old buildings.

For the area by the soccer field, I’d rather see them take out some of the rougher looking houses around the soccer field to create a larger surface lot. That help with parking for those facilities and again, spruce things up a bit.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:46 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
The Marshall University Board of Governors met yesterday (June 23) and approved plans by the administration to build the baseball stadium along 22nd Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues, adjacent to the Dot Hicks Softball field.

They expect to begin the process to select a contractor and to have dirt moving in October with the field ready for use in the 2024 season.

https://www.marshall.edu/news/2022/0...eball-stadium/

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-06-2022 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 06-24-2022, 11:24 AM

I’m glad that they made the announcement. It seems like they are trying to expedite the process too. I can’t wait to see a game there.

I wish the city would have announced some stuff about the Kroger move. I think it would’ve helped to give people a reason why the field moved and to spark a little excitement for both projects. Maybe Kroger wouldn’t let them. It’s hard to say though because they always keep things quiet around here until the dirt starts moving. Sometimes until well afterward.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:59 PM

Here’s a little more info about the baseball field.

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...7a1d0a8c2.html

Old 06-26-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I’d be surprised if MU doesn’t build a new parking garage at some point to be used for fans watching football, baseball and softball. It’ll be another way to spruce that area up and take out some old buildings.

For the area by the soccer field, I’d rather see them take out some of the rougher looking houses around the soccer field to create a larger surface lot. That help with parking for those facilities and again, spruce things up a bit.

I'm sure that will be the preferred option since surface lots are cheaper to build. With that said, I'd rather see some of the rougher looking houses be remodeled or replaced with new housing stock and work to create a 'village' type of atmosphere around the soccer field and proposed new track complex.

Old 06-26-2022, 08:01 PM

That would be good as well. As long as things are improving, I’m fine either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington