Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:10 AM

217 posts, read 921,830 times

Advertisements

I might have an opportunity that I should take...

I am a Life Member of the NRA and it is my understanding that things I can't do in Manhattan, I can do in West Virginia.

I also don't own a car.

What surprises, ups/downs, etc. should I expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 12:54 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,377,499 times
"I am a Life Member of the NRA and it is my understanding that things I can't do in Manhattan, I can do in West Virginia." Ummm, such as? No, you still are not allowed to go around shooting people.

You HAVE to get a car.

Have you lived in Manhattan/NYC your whole life?

If so, you are going to be in for a BIG change by way of conveniences as far as buying certain things/ specialty food items/ restaurants & bars/arts/ etc. (That's not saying we don't have them, that's just saying you won't find what you do in NYC).

On the flip side, you hopefully will love the open spaces (not having a zillion people around you all the time), the outdoor adventures you will find in WV, the people, the quiet, etc.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:41 PM

217 posts, read 921,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
"I am a Life Member of the NRA and it is my understanding that things I can't do in Manhattan, I can do in West Virginia." Ummm, such as? No, you still are not allowed to go around shooting people.

You HAVE to get a car.

Have you lived in Manhattan/NYC your whole life?

If so, you are going to be in for a BIG change by way of conveniences as far as buying certain things/ specialty food items/ restaurants & bars/arts/ etc. (That's not saying we don't have them, that's just saying you won't find what you do in NYC).

On the flip side, you hopefully will love the open spaces (not having a zillion people around you all the time), the outdoor adventures you will find in WV, the people, the quiet, etc.
Aww, rats... Wait, that's not what I want to do... I'm more looking towards hassle-free lawful gun ownership and places to shoot.

I've lived all over the place... but what I don't look forward to is buying a car...

What are the best neighborhoods? "Best" = not known for drugs, crime, idiots, etc.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:54 PM

246 posts, read 880,802 times
When you obtain your residence here you will be in gun paradise. You can buy any legal weapon. Walk into a gunstore pass the fbi check and walk out with the weapon. No permit to own. You need a permit to carry concealed, 75 bucks, background check and a test and it is good for 5 years. Carry anywhere but a school or gov building. Even if a place has a no guns sign, so what. if it's concealed how will they know? and if they discover it all they can do is ask you to leave. I carry a glock 17. 17 round mag and i have plenty of 33 round mags for it. Aks Ar15s sig 556 if you have the money your are good to go.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:55 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Nevins View Post
I might have an opportunity that I should take...

I am a Life Member of the NRA and it is my understanding that things I can't do in Manhattan, I can do in West Virginia.

I also don't own a car.

What surprises, ups/downs, etc. should I expect?
You'll need to get a car.

And the average philosophy... or a common philosophy that I could describe for you is... it's only illegal if you get caught. At least, that's what my dad taught me.

On a serious note, now, there are MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY things about WV that are different than ANY big city in the U.S. The pace of life is more relaxed, and it will feel as though you are stepping 40 years back in time. I'm not joking about this, either. West Virginia is secluded, and there really AREN'T that many "outsiders" in WV. I hope you can adjust to life well there. I grew up in WV, and I found that I sort of outgrew it, in many ways. I miss many things about it, but... anywho, there are MANY differences between Manhattan and WV.

And you'll need to get a car.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:33 PM

246 posts, read 880,802 times
Another thing is your WV conceal permit is good for Ohio,Kentck,and 30 some other states.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:55 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,318,295 times
It's difficult to carry a non-concealed weapon on the bus....have to check the long guns with the drivers...

Old 10-05-2008, 07:56 PM

4,965 posts, read 8,959,837 times
Huntington will definately be different from NYC, but I think you'll love it here. There are lots of things to do here and there is a great sense of community. You will need a car, but depending on where you live and where you work, you may not need it much. My wife and I live on the Southside near Ritter Park and where we used to use 2 cars daily, we now only use one and don't even use that one every day. I walk to work, we have a grocery store a block down from us, the main city park is a couple blocks away, our church is just a few blocks away and it wouldn't be too far for us to just walk downtown. If you work downtown, there are several newly remodeled condos that would put you right in the middle of downtown and all of the convenience that would offer. Here are some links that you may find useful and let me know if you have any questions about anything!
Tim

City of Huntington, West Virginia
The Greater Huntington Community Web Portal
Greater Huntington Park and Recreation District
Welcome To The St. James Condominiums
Huntington Regional Chamber of Commerce
Huntington YMCA - Welcome
Tri-State Airport - Huntington, West Virginia
Huntington, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pullman Square - Restaurants Shopping Entertainment
http://www.huntingtonmall.com/home/index.ch2
Huntington Museum of Art, Huntington, WV
Modern Photo Album | Keith-Albee Performing Arts Center, Inc. (http://www.keithalbeearts.org/node/133 - broken link)
Home - Marshall Artists Series
Welcome To Your Huntington Funny Bone

Old 10-05-2008, 09:35 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,238,776 times
You'll want a car, if only to get out of the city and see the rest of West Virginia.

Keep in mind that the two largest cities in WV (Huntington and Charleston) are both only about 50,000 in population. Throwing in the suburbs might double that, but the entire state is less than 2 million.

If you've learned to avoid eye contact... you'll have to relearn that skill. And if you do get a car, wave at other cars, the drivers that let you turn left in front of them (that will happen a lot), wave at pedestrians. And if you're walking, wave back at the cars. It's the friendly thing to do.

You really will want a car... or better yet, a pickup.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:13 PM

938 posts, read 2,899,151 times
I like to tell people from big cities that I can legally walk down the street with my fully loaded Mossberg 500 in plain view with the carrying strap wrestled around my shoulder back home in WV. They become AMAZED. I think in NYC if you carry a shotgun still in the unopened original box and case inside of a giant paper bag, they shoot you on sight or something. I might be wrong about that one, I dunno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington