Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
That's good news. Perhaps there is hope!
There is! It took them a while to get ours going so its not a quick process if the lines were not down already (Jeff Benton did that in Crown Pointe) but at some point hopefully it will reach there.....I have no idea about their timeframe and it seems very random. Cambridge has it, but Waterford right next door does not yet and they are adjoined and are really one big neighborhood just subdivided under Heritage Plantation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 07:25 AM

140 posts, read 295,362 times
I have called just about every internet provider (I live in Ashbury Phase III) and no one provides service to our area except DSL. WOW, Comcast, Att u-verse, Mediacom. However, literally a stones throw away in the neighborhood behind Ashbury (hardiman creek or something like that) I saw a WOW truck at a house I can throw a football to but he said there are no lines in Ashbury and did not know when they would put them there. I play online games and stream movies and, for the most part, ATT handles it well but if we are streaming we can't be doing anything else on the internet. We Ashburyians, yea I just did that, need to all write and sign a letter to the cable/internet companies asking for more options. Thoughts?

Old 02-13-2014, 11:33 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs2487 View Post
I have called just about every internet provider (I live in Ashbury Phase III) and no one provides service to our area except DSL. WOW, Comcast, Att u-verse, Mediacom. However, literally a stones throw away in the neighborhood behind Ashbury (hardiman creek or something like that) I saw a WOW truck at a house I can throw a football to but he said there are no lines in Ashbury and did not know when they would put them there. I play online games and stream movies and, for the most part, ATT handles it well but if we are streaming we can't be doing anything else on the internet. We Ashburyians, yea I just did that, need to all write and sign a letter to the cable/internet companies asking for more options. Thoughts?
Contact your govt officials. They have the franchise agreements with the cable companies. Not just any cable company can provide you service. WOW may not provide service to your area.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:48 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
I guess my dumb question is, how much is on the Builders for this? I mean, Benton is getting Uverse in some of his neighborhoods, why can't Breland?

Old 02-13-2014, 05:01 PM

14 posts, read 19,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I guess my dumb question is, how much is on the Builders for this? I mean, Benton is getting Uverse in some of his neighborhoods, why can't Breland?
I'm not sure what kind of influence a builder can have on the cable companies. What I do know is that Phase 4 will be popping up soon, and I would think selling houses will be difficult when satellite, Verizon's insanely expensive HomeFusion and dial-up are the only available options for internet. It's a sad state when DSL for a neighborhood reaches capacity, and no cable ISPs appear to be interested in expanding into the neighborhood.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:21 PM

10 posts, read 13,996 times
Hey neighbors!

My wife and I just closed on a new house in Ashbury last week and I got the same line from AT&T, the DSLAM is full and can't provide service to anyone else. We can't even get home phone service for dial-up.

However, I was able to meet with someone at the WOW office and they said cable lines will be ran to Phase 3 around the end of February! Let's hope this actually pans out!

Old 02-13-2014, 05:22 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times
I think Don Spencer had more to do with Uverse than Jeff Benton to be honest, and they don't have to invite them in or anything....its up to the cable companies to run the required lines for service. The builders just are not going to hold off on their end waiting for a cable company. This has only seemed to have popped up as an issue over the past couple of years....it seemed that the cable companies always had everything pretty much ready to go at least by the time the first few homes are built. The more services available to the homeowner, the better for the builder, so I know the ideal is to have everything ready to go from the early stages.
And then you've got the "exclusivity" of the cable companies only providing service in their "specific" areas.
I don't think any of the cable companies (which would be WOW) are holding off or not wanting to go into the new phases, it seems its more of a backlog on their part than anything.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:28 AM

140 posts, read 295,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xm1014 View Post
Hey neighbors!

My wife and I just closed on a new house in Ashbury last week and I got the same line from AT&T, the DSLAM is full and can't provide service to anyone else. We can't even get home phone service for dial-up.

However, I was able to meet with someone at the WOW office and they said cable lines will be ran to Phase 3 around the end of February! Let's hope this actually pans out!

That's excellent news, and for all of our sakes, I hope it is true!!! I am ready for more than 6mbps download speed. I keep bugging the U-verse folks so maybe one day we can get some fiber lines our way. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
I don't think any of the cable companies (which would be WOW) are holding off or not wanting to go into the new phases, it seems its more of a backlog on their part than anything.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Knology / WOW merger slowed things down a bit, but I would expect they are holding back more due to cost. It is not an insignificant expense to roll out new cable. Going into a new subdivision that isn't built out or significantly started means risking a long return. Going into a mostly built out area like mine probably risks low penetration because everybody already went with another solution. Other things to consider are what makes them more money. My guess is video. The incremental cost of adding video subscribers is probably much lower than adding additional data customers.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:49 PM

14 posts, read 19,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xm1014 View Post
Hey neighbors!

Welcome to the neighborhood! I noticed a couple gentlemen from WOW measuring our neighborhood today. So, what they told you might be correct!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area