Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 08:20 PM

4 posts, read 7,410 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone,

We're moving into the Breland Homes Ashbury neighbood soon, and I've yet to scout out internet providers ahead of time. I called AT&T, Comcast, and Knology today regarding the new house, and got the following answers:

AT&T: Strongest Package: DSL - 6 MB/s Down, 1 MB/s Up, $20/month
Comcast: "We'll check the area and get back to you in 7 business days."
Knology: "We'll check the area and get back to you in 2 business days."

To put it into perspective, we're currently using Comcast/Xfinity Internet in Huntsville, and getting the following:

Comcast: 16-20 MB/s Down, 2-4 MB/s Up, $30/month

We don't need Cable or Phone, but I need a strong download speed for streaming, and a strong upload speed for gaming, so we're hoping someone might have some information on what higher end options we have in this area.

Thanks for the insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
Knology is out in that area. I have either the highest or second highest speed they have available for home. I just tested mine at about 19mbs download.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:25 AM

140 posts, read 295,267 times
I live in the newer part of the subdivision (phase III) and we had comcast AND knology come out and see if internet connection was possible. It wasn't so we had to go with AT&T. Had some connection issues with them in the beginning but now it works fine. We stream movies and I play games online (COD, FIFA) and have had no problems with connection issues. Id have to get back to you on download speed and what package we got etc but I believe it is the one you mentioned above... Hope this helps and welcome.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:03 PM

4 posts, read 7,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post
Knology is out in that area. I have either the highest or second highest speed they have available for home. I just tested mine at about 19mbs download.
Are you located in the Ashbury neighborhood Stewdog? If so, how much are you paying for your service with Knology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs2487 View Post
I live in the newer part of the subdivision (phase III) and we had comcast AND knology come out and see if internet connection was possible. It wasn't so we had to go with AT&T. Had some connection issues with them in the beginning but now it works fine. We stream movies and I play games online (COD, FIFA) and have had no problems with connection issues. Id have to get back to you on download speed and what package we got etc but I believe it is the one you mentioned above... Hope this helps and welcome.
How long ago did you ask Comcast & Knology to check the neighborhood, habs? Furthermore, are you able to stream movies in HD/1080p without any issues?

Thanks again for the feedback thus far.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:46 AM

140 posts, read 295,267 times
I called comcast and knology in the beginning of September. From what I remember knology said they sent a guy out to my address and told me service was not possible there for cable or internet. Comcast just informed me that service "was not provided in that specific area yet" but could be at a future date. As far as movies go, we stream from netfilx via game console and have not had any problems with connectivity. Thats about as far as I can go with that, not sure about HD/1080P for movies but like I said, online gaming is not an issue and I know that those are in HD/1080P. Hope that helps.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNet View Post
Are you located in the Ashbury neighborhood Stewdog? If so, how much are you paying for your service with Knology?
I'm actually next door in Oxford. Which is why I think you should be good for Knology as the subdivisions are connected.

I think I pay around $30ish. But I also get my phone through them. I get my TV through DirecTV.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:41 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post
I'm actually next door in Oxford. Which is why I think you should be good for Knology as the subdivisions are connected.

I think I pay around $30ish. But I also get my phone through them. I get my TV through DirecTV.
Not to say that you are incorrect, but just because the neighborhoods are joined together is no indication. We are in phase III of Rock Creek. Phases I & II are Mediacom. We were told Knology was going to roll out service in our phase when we moved in 4.5 years ago. Somewhere in there, they decided not to bother. We have DirecTV and DSL.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Not to say that you are incorrect, but just because the neighborhoods are joined together is no indication. We are in phase III of Rock Creek. Phases I & II are Mediacom. We were told Knology was going to roll out service in our phase when we moved in 4.5 years ago. Somewhere in there, they decided not to bother. We have DirecTV and DSL.
Yep, I could be wrong.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,012 times
Found this thread (a little too late) and figured I'd relay my situation.

I purchased a home off New Bristol/Kenton Lane in Phase III. I typically use more bandwidth than the average home package for business--streaming over HTPC, gaming, home security, local SIP trunking (VoIP) service and some local web services and my wife has a home office. The Breland team told me that Knology/WoW would be servicing my area by my move in date. This was about 8 months ago. Since then I've called Knology/WoW on several occasions and they would never give me a straight answer, until they finally stopped answering me altogether when I persisted. Comcast states their XFINITY is available in our zip (35756) but gave me the same run-around.

Get used to AT&T DSL if you want the most affordable, fastest speed (whopping 6MBps) around these parts. I can't complain because it's better than nothing, but it's barely acceptable speeds for doing anything other than browsing the web and e-mail. It seems Breland is ok with luring you into buying a house under this pretense, and the cable companies are delighted that they aren't losing money on running the pipe our way.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:20 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
This is good to know! Looking at a home in Ashbury now. Who's the cable provider? DTV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area