Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 04:10 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,847,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
That differs from your original statement. You said, " The only time I ever go in a book store now is when I want to look through a book and decide whether or not to order it online. If they could find a way to capture business from me while I am in their "previewing" books, they might would have something." So, you aren't really comparison shopping. Of course, you could always go to the library where you could legitimately preview the books prior to purchase.
I said that because as of up to this time, I know going in their prices are going to be substantially higher so yeah I guess you could say I don't have any intention of buying from them but yet I would if their prices were comparable. When I say comparable, I mean within an amount I could overlook....say 5 or 10%. However they are substantially more than that so of course like the vast majority of book buyers, I now buy online. Of course they also have the problem of digital book downloads for e-readers such as Kindle which you can now preview sample text prior to purchase. I can now use that to preview the text for many books instead of going to a store if I wish. As you pointed out, I could also go to the library, which I actually do sometimes. It really depends on where I am and what is convenient. I even go to the library at UAH once in a while.

The difference is, they have me coming in the store and that gives them the opportunity to sell me something. Adapt and find a niche and I will be there to buy it. If I stop going to the stores and exclusively use libraries or look through the sample material on google books for free since it is becoming more available or the e-reader samples; they don't even have the opportunity to attempt to sell me anything at all. So which would you rather have, all of us that use the apps and buy online never step foot in a Barnes and Noble again or go in there to peruse and give them the opportunity? One thing is for sure though, if they do not adjust to the changing market conditions and technology, they will be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
I still buy CDs. I prefer to have something tangible
Some people still do purchase CD's but digital downloads have surpassed CD purchases and continue to take market share. I personally haven't purchased a CD since prior to 1998.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area