Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,128,829 times

Advertisements

They did say that for a change they actually did get the flu shot right this year (first time in about a decade).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 AM

68 posts, read 115,762 times
My whole family had it at the same time. We all had the flu shot. My 6 year old son brought it home from school. Almost half his class was out at one time. It was horrible. My kids both missed 6 days of school, I missed three days of work. Luckily I started geeling sick on a Thursday night so I had the weekend. Otherwise I probably would have missed at least a week of work. We were so sick that we couldn't get out of bed. It is very hard trying to take care of two sick kids when you feel that bad. The first few days seemed like a bad cold. Then the fever, chills and body aches started. By that time it was too late to get Tami Flu. I still have a cough and it has been over two weeks. My Dr. said that it can take a month to get rid of the cough.

I actually heard the opposite about the flu vaccine this year--it was not the correct strain and this is why the outbreak is so bad this year. The strain going around is supposedly H2N3, but the vaccine is not directed to that strain. Maybe I heard incorrectly or the article I read was wrong. I do know many people who got it this year who had also had the flu shot. I hope if you have not had it yet it doesn't come your way.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 AM

468 posts, read 907,695 times
We've been lucky.

The worse was with one child sick for (max of) 3 days ... treated with OTC medications. The hard part was the flu cycling through every family member. The doctor did insist on anti-biotics for 5 days... but symptom-wise, nothing to be concerned about. I think the kids would have been fine regardless.

We do use a emergen-c, chicken-soup, zinc tabs etc.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 AM

32 posts, read 41,223 times
Ha! I'm a believer that TLC and chicken soup are the best remedies out there...at least for my babies!!! (well, they aren't babies anymore)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatSnake View Post
We've been lucky.

The worse was with one child sick for (max of) 3 days ... treated with OTC medications. The hard part was the flu cycling through every family member. The doctor did insist on anti-biotics for 5 days... but symptom-wise, nothing to be concerned about. I think the kids would have been fine regardless.

We do use a emergen-c, chicken-soup, zinc tabs etc.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:23 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,790,700 times
It kinda bugs me that so many people go to the doc after 2-3 days of symptoms and get antibiotics, for what is probably a virus. Either go on day 1 for an antiviral med, or wait it out. Not even sure why some doctors give out antibiotics so quickly - presumably they know better! One of my litmus tests for evaluating a doctor is the ones that are able to send you out the door without a 'script *every time*.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:00 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
In that case, kudos to my doc. He would not prescribe antibiotics.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 AM

468 posts, read 907,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
It kinda bugs me that so many people go to the doc after 2-3 days of symptoms and get antibiotics, for what is probably a virus. Either go on day 1 for an antiviral med, or wait it out. Not even sure why some doctors give out antibiotics so quickly - presumably they know better! One of my litmus tests for evaluating a doctor is the ones that are able to send you out the door without a 'script *every time*.
Zennjen,

One of my kids has a chronic auto-immune disease (for life) because of a strep that was not detected or treated early enough (we thought it was the flu - so we decided - as always, to treat it the natural way homeopathic way).
It is always prudent to go get a checkup to find out if it is strep or not.
If strep - get it treated aggressively.
If not - walk away and treat it naturally.

Last edited by RatSnake; 01-23-2013 at 08:50 AM..

Old 01-23-2013, 09:38 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
This is such an intense flu season. The illness is fighting through into people who have had the shot, and presenting itself as a non-positive in people who have had the shot. I know at least 5 people, including myself, who had the shot, MONTHS AGO, like in October, who still came down with a flu-like illness, that lasted only a few days, and after a visit to the doc-in-a-box, did not test positive for the flu. It's really aggressive. So, when anyone says that a zombie outbreak could never happen, I will submit this year's flu as evidence to the contrary

BTW, if a zombie epidemic ever does break out, it'll start in a pre-K day care center. Imagine little 3-4 year olds running loose chewing people's faces off! I can see the movie trailer right now: "First they tested your patience, now they test your survival! Zombie Kids from Happy Sunny Daycare, coming to a theater near you!

Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
This is such an intense flu season. The illness is fighting through into people who have had the shot, and presenting itself as a non-positive in people who have had the shot. I know at least 5 people, including myself, who had the shot, MONTHS AGO, like in October, who still came down with a flu-like illness, that lasted only a few days, and after a visit to the doc-in-a-box, did not test positive for the flu. It's really aggressive. So, when anyone says that a zombie outbreak could never happen, I will submit this year's flu as evidence to the contrary

BTW, if a zombie epidemic ever does break out, it'll start in a pre-K day care center. Imagine little 3-4 year olds running loose chewing people's faces off! I can see the movie trailer right now: "First they tested your patience, now they test your survival! Zombie Kids from Happy Sunny Daycare, coming to a theater near you!
I Like it!!! 'cept maybe it should be "chewing people's knees off"?

This one doesn't have me chewing on much of anything. I think I've lost ten pounds. I know I was in ketosis just from urine color. Think I may get more bloodwork done. (Getting me to a doc is like dragging a dog to a vet, but think I need to go.) Hopefully he won't give me a flea bath.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:20 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
According to my wife at the doc office, most folks are running 5-10 days with it, some three weeks where they just feel like rot.

One strain of actual flu going around, but many other bugs that folks take for flu.

Be careful with it...know first hand of one local death of a 42 year old due to it. Don't wait to seek treatment. and for God's sake, STAY HOME if you have it.

This is one case in which it is not nice to share...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area