Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 12:41 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,279,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL50 View Post
The one and only reason that a TR has a bad reputation in the US is the owners and/or their wannabee mechanics that have no clue how to work on those cars.
My experience with Brit cars goes back to the mid 1960s and it was only in the US that I have heard most of the complaints.
I can write books and how dumb some owners and their mechanics are when it comes to a very simple SU carburetor.
And the jokes about Lucas tell more about their owners and mechanics than about the Lucas products.
I can install the very same Lucas product on a TR/MG/Jaguar/AH and never have a problem with it, explain that.
Simple, use dieelectric grease on the contacts.
Very true, when I worked with Ben at Klassic Autos, the condition and things that had been tried or attempted either by the owner or some other local mechanic, was down right laughable.

I enjoyed learning about them, but very happy I don't work on them anymore! haha

I hope you aren't defending Lucas?? I don't think I have met someone who didn't hate them personally and intimately.

Quote:
I've been to two meetings there, and that was it for me.
Food on a scale of 0 to 10 : 1
Personnel on a scale of 0 to 10 : 2 on a good day.

I do give it a 1st price for the worst restaurant in Madison County.
Well if I am keeping a list that is certainly one more thing we can agree on.

I was adamantly against it being picked and was the reason why I backed Newks as a replacement, anything was better than that place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 01:00 PM

308 posts, read 527,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
I hope you aren't defending Lucas?? I don't think I have met someone who didn't hate them personally and intimately.
Watch out what you say ...
Another friend, Mike, he had, closed now, the shop International Motors on Commercial Drive in Huntsville.
His mechanics name was Luke, but his real name was Lucas.
And he loved working on Brit cars.
He now owns Wheel Fix It in Huntsville.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:08 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Don't Brits drink warm beer because they have Lucas refrigerators?

I owned a couple of Brit classics (Triumph Spitfire and MGB) - the Triumph ran for an entire month once! I loved those cars and enjoyed working on them. Of course I enjoyed driving them even more, however I don't recommend depending on them as a primary auto.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Watch out what you say ...
Another friend, Mike, he had, closed now, the shop International Motors on Commercial Drive in Huntsville.
His mechanics name was Luke, but his real name was Lucas.
And he loved working on Brit cars.
He now owns Wheel Fix It in Huntsville.
Wheel Fix It is great! I always use them personally and recommend them to my clients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post

I owned a couple of Brit classics (Triumph Spitfire and MGB) - the Triumph ran for an entire month once! I loved those cars and enjoyed working on them. Of course I enjoyed driving them even more, however I don't recommend depending on them as a primary auto.
Agreed on both remarks!

Old 10-14-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Don't Americans drink ice cold beer because they can't stand the taste of the big name US beers as Cxxxs and Bxxxxxxxr ?

Good beers, as a Pale Ale, Stout, Chimay, etc, should always be served at room temperature, so you can enjoy the taste.
And I'm a ex Belgian, OK, with 1/4 Brit blood.

Quote:
My dad had in the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's always the bigger Fiats, as the 2100, 2300 and the 130 sedan,130 coupe.
Only needed oil, filters, brakes and tires, never any problem.
My mam in those same years, most MG Magnette, Rover, and even the slowest car ever we had, the mid 60's Morris Oxford diesel station wagon.
Same, only needed oil, filters, brakes and tires, never any problem.

The difference was that we had those cars when new, and competent mechanics.

Myself I also had many Brit cars as daily drivers and for business, import, export, etc.
Never any problem.
I was also the co-founder of the Belgian TR Register in 1977.

But if we wanted to have a troublesome car, all we had to do was buy any US made car, and we had the same problems as you guys had with the Brit cars.
Nothing wrong with the cars, but no decent mechanics to work on them an no parts for US made cars.
That way the US made cars had in Europe the very same bad reputation as the Brit cars in the US.

Last edited by FAL50; 10-14-2013 at 03:18 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Nothing wrong with the cars, but no decent mechanics to work on them an no parts for US made cars.
That way the US made cars had in Europe the very same bad reputation as the Brit cars in the US.
Ha, I have heard that before.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:32 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
FAL50 - yeah, my Brit cars were trashed before I got them but they were all I thought I could afford (I didn't really consider maintenance costs vs top down wind in my hair country road jaunts). I did get to learn about rebuilding carburetors, replacing clutches, brakes, etc - much of that is normal maintenance.

Mmm, Chimay... good Christian beer.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:34 AM

85 posts, read 98,405 times
I bought a new triumph spitfire in 1979. It was a fun car but the maintenance was a nightmare. After 3 years, it caught fire while sitting at a red light! That is when I became a Bus Rider!!

Old 10-21-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegaeBusRider View Post
I bought a new triumph spitfire in 1979. It was a fun car but the maintenance was a nightmare. After 3 years, it caught fire while sitting at a red light! That is when I became a Bus Rider!!
Why was the maintenance a nightmare ?
Problems with the dealer or the mechanic ?
All parts on a Spit are the most simple as ever used in any car.
Or was it parts availability ?
Caught fire, why ?
What was the reason ?
Incompetent mechanic did work on the carburetor ?

Old 10-21-2013, 04:01 PM

I doubt there was a car at all, much less that it burned itself down...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area