Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:39 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the input about Heidelberg's. I will be making my first appearance very soon. (maybe I should go into Phil's and have a margarita first)

raj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 12:40 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post
Mango's Caribbean Restaurant next to Phil Sandoval's and Shooter's is awesome! Both times I was in there they had live music playing just the right kind of music at just the right volume to allow for conversation at my table.

Pretty much everything along University has had problems ever since I have been here. My assumption has always been that the lease prices are too high, but that is just a guess. I wouldn't have thought that traffic or accessibility is a problem, though I have occasionally overshot the drive for Sandoval's/Mango's and just parked on the side at Five Guys.
Phil Sandoval's is in an entirely different shopping center than Mango's, J Gumbo's and Shooter's...

Old 01-13-2014, 01:18 PM

394 posts, read 628,387 times
There was a laser tag place in the corner and a Dragon Garden Chinese Restaurant near Home Depot. I believe there was a Radio Shack there at one time. Rosie's was there in the Phil Sandoval's space and Bob Baumhower's Wings was there before Rosies.

Last edited by DaMadHatter; 01-13-2014 at 01:27 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 03:13 PM

295 posts, read 442,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Phil Sandoval's is in an entirely different shopping center than Mango's, J Gumbo's and Shooter's...
I was wondering how parking across that busy four lane and walking across traffic was in any way safer than just driving into Sandoval's lot.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:16 PM

493 posts, read 713,234 times
We love, love Ol' Heidelberg as well. I've never talked to anyone that likes German food that does not like that place. It has been there for a while now too, well over 10 years-probably closer to 20.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:56 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Thanks for the input about Heidelberg's. I will be making my first appearance very soon. (maybe I should go into Phil's and have a margarita first)

raj
No, you need to get the Hefeweizen at Ol'Heidelburg (or a Schwarzbier, which happens to be my fav

Also, if you are every in the Destin area for vacation, in Blue Water Bay (across Mid Bay) there is an authentic Biergarten....and its like being in Germany. Food is pretty good, not as good as Ol'Heidelburg but it is JUST like being in Bavaria. They'll sit strangers at your table if you have room.....they do that in Germany, its hard to get used to

Old 01-14-2014, 08:02 AM

82 posts, read 140,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needtosellmyhome View Post
We love, love Ol' Heidelberg as well. I've never talked to anyone that likes German food that does not like that place. It has been there for a while now too, well over 10 years-probably closer to 20.
Ol' Heidelberg had a previous location, and has been around for probably 30 - 40 years. Can't remember where it started out.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhsv View Post
Ol' Heidelberg had a previous location, and has been around for probably 30 - 40 years. Can't remember where it started out.
It was on University for years, though I'm not absolutely sure of the exact building. I think it was in the one that was El Frontera for a while, roughly across from the Olive Garden. I don't recall what's there now. I'm too busy dodging traffic when I drive by to notice!

Old 01-15-2014, 03:31 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Originally it was in Heart of Huntsville Mall (it may not have had the same name, it was just a deli and you ordered a sandwich).
Then across from Olive Garden (there was no Olive Garden at that time!), next to Steak & Ale and close to the Fogcutter.
Yes, I'd guess at least 20 years in their current location.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Originally it was in Heart of Huntsville Mall (it may not have had the same name, it was just a deli and you ordered a sandwich).
Then across from Olive Garden (there was no Olive Garden at that time!), next to Steak & Ale and close to the Fogcutter.
Yes, I'd guess at least 20 years in their current location.
I don't think I ever knew it was in the Heart of Huntsville Mall but I have forgotten an awful lot in all these years! Thanks for that info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area