Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 04:10 PM

776 posts, read 745,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
The surrounding areas are dense, but you are a single, sparse (non)customer. The 800' run along a street is 15 - 20 homes (more?) vs. 1. Their risk on you is much higher and potential return much lower than when it is distributed.
This was with a 3 year contract with 10 phone lines and 50/5 service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 04:11 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
It's not silly. The idea that a cable company gets the idea to just run cable through a whole neighborhood already mostly established in hopes of picking up business, especially where one or two companies already exist, is silly.
That is what WOW just did in my neighborhood. Is it a poor choice on their part? Who knows. I do know I'm looking forward to having some choice in high speed data.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
This was with a 3 year contract with 10 phone lines and 50/5 service.
Regardless of the service provided, it still is a huge risk. They would have to charge around $200 / month just to recoup the install cost over that contract period. That is before any cost in providing you service.

What really is silly, though, is trying to compare this single customer scenario to a higher density residential one.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:21 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
I have had trouble with mediacom no matter where I have lived..........

Old 07-30-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I have had trouble with mediacom no matter where I have lived..........
I think I have seen the wow trucks in my neighborhood once or twice since I moved there a year and a half ago. I see mediacom and AT&T trucks all the time.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:59 PM

53 posts, read 56,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Z View Post
Comcast will be in your neighborhood soon if it is somewhat dense. They are pretty much done expanding in Meridianville and Harvest is on the radar. All this talk about paying to have them come in is silly. A petition is a great idea if if the petitioners live in close proximity of each other. Good luck.
You make a valid point. Gosh, if cable only came into new neighborhoods, not many would have it. Yes, I'm an old timer that remembers adjusting rabbit ears. Anyway, you are correct. One of the big box players will certainly be in Harvest soon. This IS a silly debate that I would normally not respond to but I wanted to clear up the mis information. The other old timers no what I mean.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:17 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
WOW just came into an established area around the Winchester Publix and installed new cable. It's possible. They just have to work their way out. I for one will be thrilled when they do.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:49 AM

626 posts, read 754,739 times
What has ALWAYS killed me about WOW is the local commercials are always like 5 seconds too soon and the audio is terribly low.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ward View Post
You make a valid point. Gosh, if cable only came into new neighborhoods, not many would have it. Yes, I'm an old timer that remembers adjusting rabbit ears. Anyway, you are correct. One of the big box players will certainly be in Harvest soon. This IS a silly debate that I would normally not respond to but I wanted to clear up the mis information. The other old timers no what I mean.

That is absolutely not true. The way Madison has grown in the last 20 years it's no wonder many neighborhoods have it. Cable has been in the Madison and harvest area for a very long time. It also has a lot to do with whether the utilities are above ground or below ground. Underground usually requires conduit of which isn't cheap to install after the fact. If it is already there it makes it easier and cheaper to install. That's something that the developer decides especially if it's underground. When I was house shopping in this area I was surprised at some of the neighborhoods that didn't have cable. There are some new neighborhoods in the E. Limestone area that wouldn't have cable if it wasn't put in before hand.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
That is absolutely not true. The way Madison has grown in the last 20 years it's no wonder many neighborhoods have it. Cable has been in the Madison and harvest area for a very long time. It also has a lot to do with whether the utilities are above ground or below ground. Underground usually requires conduit of which isn't cheap to install after the fact. If it is already there it makes it easier and cheaper to install. That's something that the developer decides especially if it's underground. When I was house shopping in this area I was surprised at some of the neighborhoods that didn't have cable. There are some new neighborhoods in the E. Limestone area that wouldn't have cable if it wasn't put in before hand.
Our utilities are underground. WOW ran conduit where needed, all after the neighborhood was pretty much built out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area