Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 06:10 PM

317 posts, read 328,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
So here's my take, having owned both systems. I was a former DirecTV customer for 9 years. We wanted a lower bill and were out of contract so we switched to Dish because they offered a cheaper package. After the first year, our bill doubled, despite me asking up front what second year pricing would be and being told it would be $40 less than it was. I was told by the Dish rep that pricing was subject to change. Then we began having channels pulled from the lineup. When I called to ask if we were getting a discount on the bill we were told no.

We left them and tried some other avenues before going back to DirecTV last weekend. Best decision we have ever made. When we were deciding who to go back with, I compared Mediacom, Dish, and DirecTV.

Mediacom was cheapest, but didn't tell me that it was because few channels were HD and that the package promised wasn't what they said it would be. Dish was the most expensive. It was $98 per month the first year for the Top 250 programming and two boxes the first year, and over $120 the second year. DTV gave us the Extra package and two Genie boxes for $60 per year the first year, and $81 the second year.

Even this morning with the nasty storms I watched the news with zero issue. It always works for us and any time I call into customer service I get someone who has been able to resolve my issues with little problem. I recall my dvr box failing right before we left them and DTV shipped me another box and we had it the next morning.

For US, DTV is the only option we will consider. My dad and inlaws had Dish and just left them. Our friends switched to Dish a few months ago and have been trying to figure out how to break the contract and go back to DTV.

I use to work for Directv and Dish as an employee. I also use to work for both as a contractor.

Some customer's liked Dish, some liked Directv. Many times it depended on the experience with the person who initially signed them up for service. If that person was honest then it didn't matter if it was Dish or Directv, the people were usually happy.

I ran across a lot of bad representatives from both Dish and Directv. I also ran across a lot of good from both.

The best way to figure out the prices is to go on their websites, instead of calling in to either company. They both spin the information to try and make a sell.

Dish is usually cheaper depending on what receivers you get etc. Directv has a better signal in the rain.

Directv prices also double when their specials are over as well. Even the cable companies prices double after the specials. The reason they double is because you were getting a discount to begin with.

If neither company offered discounts to new customers, they would be able to lower the existing customer's bill.

If you give $500 in discounts to a new customer and you install 1 million new customers a year. That is 500 million dollars.

Wouldn't it be nice if a company would give it's existing customers 500 million in discounts instead of the new customers?

The savy consumer would be able to make the calculations and see that over time the company with the regular everyday (non new customer special price) lower price would be better than the temporary new customer discounts.

You'd be getting the $500 million plus in discounts every year instead of just your first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area