Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 08:59 PM

317 posts, read 328,900 times

Advertisements

DISH has lower prices. DIRECTV has a better signal in the rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 06:15 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
We have directv and have for as long as they've been in business around here. We started to switch to Dish one time and they came out and pitched to us but even they ended up telling us they couldn't give us the same that directv does for the price. A sister of mine switched to Dish and regrets it so, I guess it depends on you and what you want. Sounds like 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:37 AM

523 posts, read 1,003,907 times
I'm having DirecTV installed this afternoon. I've never had satellite service before so I can't comment on the quality of service just yet but I made my decision based on the availability of hardware. The combination of the HD DVR and the wireless Genie will give me what I have been looking for since I built our outdoor patio/kitchen. I can unplug the TV in the bedroom, take it out to the patio, plug it back in and watch any channel or DVR recording.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:04 AM

43 posts, read 51,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmaster View Post
I'm having DirecTV installed this afternoon. I've never had satellite service before so I can't comment on the quality of service just yet but I made my decision based on the availability of hardware. The combination of the HD DVR and the wireless Genie will give me what I have been looking for since I built our outdoor patio/kitchen. I can unplug the TV in the bedroom, take it out to the patio, plug it back in and watch any channel or DVR recording.
Awesome sauce. Hope you got the djmaxwell discount? I plan to convert soon and would like the best discounts I can get.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:09 AM

939 posts, read 795,547 times
We've had both, and went back to Direct because Dish kept raising their rates.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:41 AM

282 posts, read 687,662 times
Anyone with DirecTV should read this link from the Chicago Bears message board and then call DirecTV:

DirecTV

It worked for me 4 out of 5 years. Last week I called (greatest customer service ever BTW) and they gave me Sunday ticket for free (4th time), $20 off my bill for 12 months, upgraded wireless Genie recievers, and a ton of movie channels for free. I had to agree to a 12 month contract, which was fine b/c as long as they have Sunday ticket I will subscribe (even if they charge me for it).

***when you call, ask for the Retentions dept.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:48 AM

626 posts, read 754,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro4ik View Post
Anyone with DirecTV should read this link from the Chicago Bears message board and then call DirecTV:

DirecTV

It worked for me 4 out of 5 years. Last week I called (greatest customer service ever BTW) and they gave me Sunday ticket for free (4th time), $20 off my bill for 12 months, upgraded wireless Genie recievers, and a ton of movie channels for free. I had to agree to a 12 month contract, which was fine b/c as long as they have Sunday ticket I will subscribe (even if they charge me for it).

How long will this be an option after AT&T is in full control?

Old 08-15-2014, 09:01 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro4ik View Post

DirecTV

Yup, I do that every year around the end of July. I never threaten to leave, just ask what kind of deals they have for a long time customer. If I don't get the deal I want, I'll call back later. To automatically get to the retentions department, at the prompt say, "When does my contract end".

Old 08-15-2014, 12:54 PM

442 posts, read 647,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
DO you like sports if so then directv is for you since they have the big sporting packages and dish does not!! both are a crapshoot with customer service weather you get someone in America or in a third world country!! do you want to own your own system or go contract and get all of the goodies freebies and stuff. if you want to own your own system then I would go with dish since they have the flex pay program wich is prepay and buy your own system upfront but then why buy something that would be outdated in 2 years. directv will NOT setup new accounts for stationary service with owned equipment. both require a contract to get all of the freebies and good stuff wich is understandable. i'm just not into contracts because then if the marriage between you and the company goes bad and you want to run like hell you'll be paying to get out of it. sorry I don't sighn contracts id'e rather pay for my stuff upfront then later on I can sell it off if need be.

Moderator cut: consumer complaint
This basically sums up my experience with DirectTV. I tried to get out of my contract with them and they wanted over $400.00 for me to break the contract. I filed a complaint with the BBB and then quit making the monthly payments (yes this can hurt credit rating since a contract was involved but I was so fed up with them and I had/have good credit anyway that I think it barely effected my credit score, if at all). I definitely wouldn't make a habit out of doing that but I did with them(have never and would never do this with a bank loan or credit cards). Shortly thereafter a pre-paid shipping box arrived on my front door step for me to send the system back to them so I sent the system back them in that pre-paid shipping box right away.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:12 PM

11 posts, read 11,391 times
Full disclosure: I am not yet in Huntsville (will be there by mid October).

That being said, I have had DirectTV for the last 7 years and it has been wonderful. I recently noticed that on my bill they had changed me for an extra receiver for over a year as a mistake (I got a new receiver and sent the old one back, their mistake was that they thought I now had 2 receivers since I have 2 rooms with DVR service), they apologized profusely and credited my account for the entire amount I had been billed, then threw in free premium channels for 6 months just as a "sorry!"

Every time I have had an issue, their customer service has been outstanding. If there is a break in service, it is normally because we have horrible wind storms here. Pricing and channel selection is better than Dish and I am not a sports person.

I am going to vote DirectTV with confidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area