Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 10:27 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Bowman View Post
How long will this be an option after AT&T is in full control?
and when you call it will say thank you for calling AT&T and not directv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbt1766 View Post
DISH has lower prices. DIRECTV has a better signal in the rain.
dish has lower prices better SD picture quality directv has better HD quality picture than dish. I live in commieforina so I don't have to worry about the rain and snow fade . directv also = playing Russian roulette with a CSR not to get the answer that your looking for as well as CSR torture

Old 08-15-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayettevilletoHuntsville View Post
This basically sums up my experience with DirectTV. I tried to get out of my contract with them and they wanted over $400.00 for me to break the contract. I filed a complaint with the BBB and then quit making the monthly payments (yes this can hurt credit rating since a contract was involved but I was so fed up with them and I had/have good credit anyway that I think it barely effected my credit score, if at all). I definitely wouldn't make a habit out of doing that but I did with them(have never and would never do this with a bank loan or credit cards). Shortly thereafter a pre-paid shipping box arrived on my front door step for me to send the system back to them so I sent the system back them in that pre-paid shipping box right away.
after my experience with directv trying to get service for my vacation home that I don't use all of the time lets just say I told the rep to kiss my azz and I would never pay there ****ing salaries again. 4 days trying to get them to setup an account without a contract for my vacation home I cant tell you how much csr torture was involved. I am done with that **** company and I wonder why they get an F rating with the BBB. dish made it so much easier in my situation I went to amazon bought a hopper and a joey and a dish waiting for it to be shipped I can do the install. and all I have to do is call dish and do and activations account then I can suspend it anytime I want with no fee's and or having to deal with sending there crap back. to me if your not a big sports fan then there channel line ups are basicly the same!! I find it completely entertaining that a multi million dollar company is run by complete idiots. i bought my cell phones at full retail price so no conctract and i'm on a post paid account with att and i'm saving money evey month and ofcourse the phone is unlocked to now goto Verizon and see if they will let you BYOD good luck unless its a Verizon phone and with a clean ESN. oh and no one should have to play Russian roulette for 4 hours

Old 08-16-2014, 10:09 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I wouldn't go back to Dish because of the nightly re-set and the fact that it is really a private owner who is a complete jerk and abuser of employees (not sexual - bad work environment and pay). I've found Directv to be better, but with the buyout I expect that to change. I may cut service off entirely if I have to, which would be difficult because we don't get over-the-air signals here.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:55 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I wouldn't go back to Dish because of the nightly re-set and the fact that it is really a private owner who is a complete jerk and abuser of employees (not sexual - bad work environment and pay). I've found Directv to be better, but with the buyout I expect that to change. I may cut service off entirely if I have to, which would be difficult because we don't get over-the-air signals here.

Like you, we don't have much choice here either. No cable, can't get any other signal. Sat is our only choice. I'd just as soon toss the tv out the window these days anyway but the hubbit wouldn't have that for 2 minutes.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Like you, we don't have much choice here either. No cable, can't get any other signal. Sat is our only choice. I'd just as soon toss the tv out the window these days anyway but the hubbit wouldn't have that for 2 minutes.
you got that right about tossing the TV out. these days theres nothing more that crappy reality shows and more stupid commericals id'e rather pay for siriusxm than TV. I buy all the content I want to see on blu ray anyways theres no ad's and I can watch it when I want. and those crappy reality shows are the cheapest to make!!

Old 08-18-2014, 05:51 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
So here's my take, having owned both systems. I was a former DirecTV customer for 9 years. We wanted a lower bill and were out of contract so we switched to Dish because they offered a cheaper package. After the first year, our bill doubled, despite me asking up front what second year pricing would be and being told it would be $40 less than it was. I was told by the Dish rep that pricing was subject to change. Then we began having channels pulled from the lineup. When I called to ask if we were getting a discount on the bill we were told no.

We left them and tried some other avenues before going back to DirecTV last weekend. Best decision we have ever made. When we were deciding who to go back with, I compared Mediacom, Dish, and DirecTV.

Mediacom was cheapest, but didn't tell me that it was because few channels were HD and that the package promised wasn't what they said it would be. Dish was the most expensive. It was $98 per month the first year for the Top 250 programming and two boxes the first year, and over $120 the second year. DTV gave us the Extra package and two Genie boxes for $60 per year the first year, and $81 the second year.

Even this morning with the nasty storms I watched the news with zero issue. It always works for us and any time I call into customer service I get someone who has been able to resolve my issues with little problem. I recall my dvr box failing right before we left them and DTV shipped me another box and we had it the next morning.

For US, DTV is the only option we will consider. My dad and inlaws had Dish and just left them. Our friends switched to Dish a few months ago and have been trying to figure out how to break the contract and go back to DTV.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
after my experience with directv trying to get service for my vacation home that I don't use all of the time lets just say I told the rep to kiss my azz and I would never pay there ****ing salaries again. 4 days trying to get them to setup an account without a contract for my vacation home I cant tell you how much csr torture was involved. I am done with that **** company and I wonder why they get an F rating with the BBB. dish made it so much easier in my situation I went to amazon bought a hopper and a joey and a dish waiting for it to be shipped I can do the install. and all I have to do is call dish and do and activations account then I can suspend it anytime I want with no fee's and or having to deal with sending there crap back. to me if your not a big sports fan then there channel line ups are basicly the same!! I find it completely entertaining that a multi million dollar company is run by complete idiots. i bought my cell phones at full retail price so no conctract and i'm on a post paid account with att and i'm saving money evey month and ofcourse the phone is unlocked to now goto Verizon and see if they will let you BYOD good luck unless its a Verizon phone and with a clean ESN. oh and no one should have to play Russian roulette for 4 hours
So you are upset that they wouldn't do something that didn't fit their business model?

Old 08-18-2014, 10:29 AM

523 posts, read 1,003,907 times
Had DirecTV installed Friday afternoon and so far I'm diggin' it. It did go out for about 2 minutes during the downpour Sunday afternoon and then again this morning we were watching WHNT and it got pixely and went black for about 2 minutes but I suspect that was because the storm was directly over downtown Huntsville. As and added bonus, when I turned in my Mediacom equipment, they bumped me from 15mbps to 50mbps for only $10 more/month. Apparently they no longer offer the 30mbps service.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:03 PM

68 posts, read 115,722 times
I have DirecTV. I got it because of NFL Sunday Ticket. We have been happy so far. The DVR has about 10x the storage capacity of our Wow (Knology) box (we have the Genie but do not have the TiVo). The hard drive on our box went out. They sent an new one, we got it in two days (FedEx). All we had to do was plug it in and click on a few things and it started right up. The refunded us 4 days of service. We have so many more channels as compared to our Wow service. I have been happy with the Customer Service so far. We usually lose serice for about 20 or 30 seconds when a storm comes. Service comes back up very quickly. I have referred three people so I get $30 off my bill for the next 10 months.

I pay extra for the NFL Sunday Ticket and NHL Center Ice--but that is why I switched to DirecTV. The thing I didn't like is that they automatically charged me for NFL Sunday Ticket this year. If I don't want it I have to call up and cancel. I did call and managed to get a package deal for both subscriptions.

You stated that you are interested in college sports. DirecTV has not yet signed a deal with the SEC Network, which is set to start up in a week or so. So I am not sure if that network will be available. I am more interested in professional sports so I have not really looked into it too much. If you are interested you can call and ask the status of the service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area