Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:06 AM

170 posts, read 140,315 times

Advertisements

I have a 6-year-old who just started kindergarten this year and a 9-year-old in third grade. Since both kids are now in school, my wife went back to work, which means no stay-at-home mom to watch the kids over summer vacation anymore.

So we are looking for non-religious daycare/camp options over summer break.

What have you got?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 09:26 AM

626 posts, read 754,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
I have a 6-year-old who just started kindergarten this year and a 9-year-old in third grade. Since both kids are now in school, my wife went back to work, which means no stay-at-home mom to watch the kids over summer vacation anymore.

So we are looking for non-religious daycare/camp options over summer break.

What have you got?
Dublin park does something. Check them out.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:04 AM

121 posts, read 152,473 times
Rocket City Mom usually posts a list of options - this is all I could find for now and it says the guide will be out in early March but I don't see it yet. Summer Camp Guide |*Rocket City Mom

Old 03-25-2015, 11:19 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,301,109 times
YMCA has summer programs.

Not sure if you're in HSV or Madison, but Madison has a summer program also....they do it at one of the elementary schools each summer. Check the website. Also, some daycares (including the one I use in Research Park...Rainbow) have summer day camps for school age kids, so check those out as well.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:39 PM

38 posts, read 58,842 times
The US Space and Rocket Center has programs for the nine-year-old. And as TN2HSV said, some of Madison's elementary schools have summer programs (which would suit both ages). (I have a 6-year-old and her school is doing it, so she might be going there.)

Old 03-26-2015, 12:13 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
One of my kids will be doing school-aged summer camp at Premier Preschool on Research Park Blvd, and my other kid will be doing summer camp at Country Day School near Providence. Both are full workday (7:30-5:30). Both are very good programs (they are in different programs due to wanting to go to the camp their friends go to). Both of them have lots of field trips to places like pools and playgrounds and such.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:48 PM

170 posts, read 140,315 times
Yes, I have found that there are school programs at the school where my kids go (Providence). Runs about $120 a week per kid.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:27 PM

483 posts, read 630,575 times
Both the Southeast YMCA (off of Weatherly near Bailey Cove) and the Hogan YMCA (off of Hughes Road) in Madison offer either or a 3 day or 5 day camp. Here's the link for more info:

Summer Day Camp | Heart of the Valley YMCA For the link to the webpage or

http://www.ymcahuntsville.org/wp-con...Camp-20152.pdf for the flyer

For $110/week/per child you can drop your child off at 7 am and pick them up by 6 pm. Geez 11 hours a day, 5 days a week. That works out to about $2/hour. Can't beat that. Plus there's the new outdoor pool at Hogan and 2 pools at the one in Huntsville, field trips, games, crafts. Gotta love the Y!

Old 04-09-2015, 08:29 AM

152 posts, read 240,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmom2000 View Post
Both the Southeast YMCA (off of Weatherly near Bailey Cove) and the Hogan YMCA (off of Hughes Road) in Madison offer either or a 3 day or 5 day camp. Here's the link for more info:

Summer Day Camp | Heart of the Valley YMCA For the link to the webpage or

http://www.ymcahuntsville.org/wp-con...Camp-20152.pdf for the flyer

For $110/week/per child you can drop your child off at 7 am and pick them up by 6 pm. Geez 11 hours a day, 5 days a week. That works out to about $2/hour. Can't beat that. Plus there's the new outdoor pool at Hogan and 2 pools at the one in Huntsville, field trips, games, crafts. Gotta love the Y!
Our (then) 5-year-old went to the YMCA camp at Hogan last summer and loved it. Weekly field trips, daily swimming, friendly staff, and working-parent-friendly hours. He's already looking forward to going again this summer.

Note: that $110/week/per child is if you're already a member. If you're not a member, the cost is closer to $160-$170 a week.

Also, just about every summer camp I've looked at does NOT extend all the way to the start of school. Last week we had 3 weeks between the time the camp ended and the start of school, so we had to do some schedule-adjusting and grandparent trips to fill the gap.

Coog

Old 04-09-2015, 09:42 PM

483 posts, read 630,575 times
Very similar to last year's summer camp this year's Y's Summer Camp goes until Friday, July 31st. School starts the next Wednesday August 5th so there is a 2 day gap, so not three weeks. Maybe it just felt like it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: