Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 2,823 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to Madison from the Seattle Metro Area. We need to find a good vet for our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, any recomendations? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 07:54 AM

2,457 posts, read 3,228,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeperofzoo View Post
We recently moved to Madison from the Seattle Metro Area. We need to find a good vet for our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, any recomendations? Thank you.
Red Barn on Old Railroad Bed.

Home - Red Barn Animal Hospital

Old 01-08-2016, 08:10 AM

583 posts, read 830,655 times
We're friends with one of the doctors: McCurdy Animal Hospital, Huntsville, Ala.

If you're willing to travel, Dr. Galbraith in Pulaski is outstanding; he took care of both my dogs with their broken legs. His parking lot is usually full and half of them are AL car tags. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Galbraith-Wyatt-DVM/161850940505613

If you go to Dr. Galbraith, you'll want to check out the Stockyard Cafe which is one block south of the vet's office right across from the Stockyard (duh!). If you're male, you really want to check out the Stockyard Cafe.

A lot of people around here like both Dr. Berry at Berry Animal Hospital (Harvest area off of Hwy 53) and Dr. Wendy at the Ardmore Animal Clinic. "Wendy" is her first name, don't recall her last name, she's right across from the McDonalds in Ardmore).

Don't know about the others, but Dr. Wendy will not do cosmetic surgery (clipping ears etc.). She's fixed two of my cats and when it's time for two of the Three Stooges to be fixed (one male one female), I'll be taking them to her.

Last edited by FTG-05; 01-08-2016 at 08:23 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 10:08 AM

183 posts, read 229,859 times
Dr. Whitworth at Whitworth animal clinic on Hwy 72 near the Jeff Road intersection has always treated my animals right.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:01 PM

138 posts, read 156,499 times
For boarding and shots we use and have been really pleased with West Madison Veterinary Hospital on Hwy 72 west near Balch. WMVH Home | West Madison Veterinary Hospital: Serving Madison, Athens, & Huntsville AL We use Village Veterinary Clinic, which is in east limestone and probably not the most convenient for you Village Veterinary Clinic - Veterinarian In Athens, AL USA :: Home, for annual exams and any issues with our pups. Welcome to Alabama!

Old 01-10-2016, 07:24 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,279,738 times
Dr. Whitworth is the best in the area, bar none.

My previous vet nearly killed my dog year before last and I spent over $3000 with her trying to save him, he had pancreatitis. We finally saw her complete incompetence and went to Dr. Whitworth for a second opinion. Two days later my dog was home and well after the other vet was telling us there was no hope and we were going to have to put him to sleep. DM me if you want her name to avoid.

If I had taken him to Dr. Whitworth to begin with, he would have not had to go thru what she put him thru with a needless surgery, etc. I used to take my dogs to Dr. Whitworth years ago but switched to a vet who was..well...cheaper. Dr. Whitworth is a little more than other vets regarding wellness...but when your dog gets sick, he is exactly who you want taking care of them. In the end good competent vet care costs WAY less than a vet who doesn't have a clue. We learned that the hard way.

Dr. Haldeman at Madison Veterinary Hospital on Hughes is a great vet as well...I have many friends who use her and love her. Dr. Magee at Madison Animal Care on Sullivan is also another one that I have always heard good things about.

Last edited by LCTMadison; 01-10-2016 at 07:45 PM..

Old 01-27-2016, 07:36 PM

26 posts, read 41,876 times
For basic services, from what my niece and a few friends have said, the vet in Ardmore is as good as most but very reasonably priced. I can tell you that if you ever need surgery, there is a traveling veterinarian surgeon from Arab named Nicki Plunkett. She came to my vet in Hazel Green's office to perform cruciate ligament surgery on our golden. She was $1000 less than the only two other vets that I found who performed the surgery. Although everything was billed through my vet, I met with Dr. Plunkett a few times. She is very knowledgeable, extremely friendly and approachable and genuinely cares about the animals.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:09 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,279,738 times
Dr. Plunkett is the surgeon that did my dog's surgery when he has pancreatitis (see above) and nearly died.

They told us he "would die within hours" if he did not have surgery and that he may not live thru the surgery, but it was our only hope. After he had the surgery (and my family sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear if he even survived), the vet went shopping at STAPLES for office supplies and did not even call us to let us know how he was or that he survived.

Turns out, I paid over $2500 for an EXPLORATORY surgery and neither my vet nor Dr. Plunkett had any explanation as to the "he will die without it" diagnosis. In fact, Dr. Plunkett would not even return my phone calls.

Dr. Whitworth, Dr. Hayes, and Dr. Wagner at VRRI had NO explanation as to why they would have recommended surgery in his case. He needed antibiotics and nutritional support, and once he got that after we switched vets, he was home in a day and a half. He went from almost dead to pretty ok in about a 24 hour period under their care.

Is she a good surgeon? Well, she didn't kill my dog so that's a plus. Would I trust her? Well...

Last edited by LCTMadison; 01-28-2016 at 07:24 AM..

Old 01-28-2016, 04:18 PM

300 posts, read 608,018 times
Dr. Racelis at Best Friends is extremely professional, knowledgeable, and compassionate. I use Dr. O'Reilly at McCurdy for large animal services, and he's great, too. He works with small animals, too.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:15 PM

26 posts, read 41,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Dr. Plunkett is the surgeon that did my dog's surgery when he has pancreatitis (see above) and nearly died.

They told us he "would die within hours" if he did not have surgery and that he may not live thru the surgery, but it was our only hope. After he had the surgery (and my family sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear if he even survived), the vet went shopping at STAPLES for office supplies and did not even call us to let us know how he was or that he survived.

Turns out, I paid over $2500 for an EXPLORATORY surgery and neither my vet nor Dr. Plunkett had any explanation as to the "he will die without it" diagnosis. In fact, Dr. Plunkett would not even return my phone calls.

Dr. Whitworth, Dr. Hayes, and Dr. Wagner at VRRI had NO explanation as to why they would have recommended surgery in his case. He needed antibiotics and nutritional support, and once he got that after we switched vets, he was home in a day and a half. He went from almost dead to pretty ok in about a 24 hour period under their care.

Is she a good surgeon? Well, she didn't kill my dog so that's a plus. Would I trust her? Well...
I'm sorry to hear that. Did your vet make the diagnosis, call her in to perform the surgery and bill you direct? If so, I can see why Dr. Plunkett would prefer you speak to the vet. I really had the exact opposite experience. She called and emailed me back any time I had a question and did some follow up visits without charging for her services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area