Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 05:24 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead80 View Post
Anyone know if they're being smart during this expansion and putting a pedestrian bridge/walkway over Monroe? I really hope so, because waiting on people to cross the road there is half the reason traffic is a problem during events at the VBC.
Yes, badly needed, especially when events are over and everybody comes pouring out at once. They really need two of them at the ends of the parking garage. Don't know if they're in the works or not, and I think they're pretty expensive.

Wasn't there mention at one time about closing the garage and building something on top of it, or in its place? I like parking there because it's closer to the Concert Hall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 11:27 PM

45 posts, read 92,750 times
Well this is sad to see.

https://www.al.com/news/2018/11/sam-...s-closing.html

Old 11-12-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntsvilleJT View Post
Yes, I hate to see things downtown closing. I never went to this particular one though ... apparently not many others did either.

When I first saw your post, I thought it was one of the Sam's Club stores closing.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:29 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Yes, I hate to see things downtown closing. I never went to this particular one though ... apparently not many others did either.

When I first saw your post, I thought it was one of the Sam's Club stores closing.
I never ate there either, just not my thing. However, it is/was a very popular restaurant. It has been there for almost 12 years and is typically busy. It is closing because the company that owns the business wants them out and did not renew their lease because they want to remodel it and lease it out as office space instead. My guess is that an attorney's office is wanting to locate there and they can charge a much higher lease for that use than what they can a restaurant.

Sam and Greg's will probably open a new location downtown I would imagine. It will just take some time to select a new location and remodel it for their use.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:54 AM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I never ate there either, just not my thing. However, it is/was a very popular restaurant. It has been there for almost 12 years and is typically busy. It is closing because the company that owns the business wants them out and did not renew their lease because they want to remodel it and lease it out as office space instead. My guess is that an attorney's office is wanting to locate there and they can charge a much higher lease for that use than what they can a restaurant.

Sam and Greg's will probably open a new location downtown I would imagine. It will just take some time to select a new location and remodel it for their use.
yes it was very good and popular. The building wasn't really ideal for a restaurant but they made it work.
Big O's and Jimmy John's next door also do well.
Hopefully a new downtown/5 Points location will be better than this one.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:47 PM

117 posts, read 314,688 times
Food trucks at the Camp at Midtown Huntsville are now open:

Much Lucha Tacos
FEED Fried Chicken & Such
The Camp Bar

Open hours:
Thurs 11a-9p
Fri-Sat 11a-10p
Sun 11a-8p

Last edited by AznDreamer; 11-14-2018 at 01:13 PM..

Old 11-14-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznDreamer View Post
Food trucks at the Camp at Midtown Huntsville are now open:

Much Lucha Tacos
FEED Fried Chicken & Such
The Camp Bar

Open hours:
Thurs 11a-9p
Fri-Sat 11a-10p
Sun 11a-8p
Where is MidTown?

Some of the new names are strange ... you'd think MidCity would be near downtown, but the one that is downtown is CenterCity (a name that's descriptive). And Town Madison seems like it should be near downtown Madison (what little there is of it).

Old 11-14-2018, 03:26 PM

117 posts, read 314,688 times
Quote:
Where is MidTown?

Some of the new names are strange ... you'd think MidCity would be near downtown, but the one that is downtown is CenterCity (a name that's descriptive). And Town Madison seems like it should be near downtown Madison (what little there is of it).
Sorry, it's MidCity actually. I always make that mistake. I would think MidCity is closer to Midtown, because Research Park area is somewhat like downtown even though it isn't.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:50 PM

764 posts, read 1,109,472 times
Quote:
Where is MidTown?

Actually Mid City Huntsville is geographically located in the middle of Huntsville City Limits - when you consider that the City of Huntsville now stretches to I-65. Just northeast of the I-565/I-65 interchange, there are several companies which are in the HSV City limits. Also, the Toyota/Mazda plant which will be in HSV will spur further development. There is vey little land left south of U.S. 72 in eastern Limestone County which has not been annexed by either Madison or Huntsville - the lions share in Huntsville.

For long time residents, many think that the City roughly ends at Research Park near Slaughter Rd. However, they forget that there are numerous neighborhoods in Monrovia and East Limestone which are in the City. Madison was surrounded by HSV's City Limits years ago. Now, there will be development in those areas (like Toyota/Mazda) and Madison residents will be more aware that they are surrounded by the larger city.

On the eastern side, Huntsville's City Limits extend almost to Gurley - with the McMullen Cove neighborhood being the furthest east. However, there seems to be little commercial development in the eastern areas like Hampton Cove, other than retail catering to the residential population.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Actually Mid City Huntsville is geographically located in the middle of Huntsville City Limits - when you consider that the City of Huntsville now stretches to I-65. Just northeast of the I-565/I-65 interchange, there are several companies which are in the HSV City limits. Also, the Toyota/Mazda plant which will be in HSV will spur further development. There is vey little land left south of U.S. 72 in eastern Limestone County which has not been annexed by either Madison or Huntsville - the lions share in Huntsville.

For long time residents, many think that the City roughly ends at Research Park near Slaughter Rd. However, they forget that there are numerous neighborhoods in Monrovia and East Limestone which are in the City. Madison was surrounded by HSV's City Limits years ago. Now, there will be development in those areas (like Toyota/Mazda) and Madison residents will be more aware that they are surrounded by the larger city.

On the eastern side, Huntsville's City Limits extend almost to Gurley - with the McMullen Cove neighborhood being the furthest east. However, there seems to be little commercial development in the eastern areas like Hampton Cove, other than retail catering to the residential population.
That's an interesting take, and one I've never thought of. I suppose I always think of "city" being the downtown area. Along those lines, I wonder where the center of mass (population) is in Madison County?

For you second point ... and maybe from an even longer term resident ... I remember when the western edge of the city was pretty much where Bob Wallace Ave. intersected Governors Drive, roughly in the area of Landry's and just east of the Space and Rocket Center. That could possibly have been extended to Rideout Rd (now Research Park Blvd).

The geography has really changed over the years. We moved to Edgewater in 1989, and at the time it was really "out in the country". Our friends would ask, "Why are you moving way out there?". Now the entire area will be developed once Town Madison is completed, or even partially completed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area