Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 06:19 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Dallas Fanning pretty much outfoxed the whole bunch:

Remembering Dallas Fanning: The man who made modern Huntsville | AL.com

The residential developers drove much of Madison's planning, but Dallas knew that sales tax money is what pays the bills.
While much of the expansion occured before I got here in 99, the newer annexations out near county line hadn't happened yet. The impression I got back then was that Madison residents wanted to keep Madison small. Seems like those plans back fired
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 08:45 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Default Publix, Shoppes at Redstone Square, Huntsville, Alabama

Publix is officially coming to the Shoppes at Redstone Square. Its 45,600-square-foot store will open in August 2018.

Further reading
Berry, Lucy. "Publix coming next year to new Shoppes at Redstone Square in Huntsville." AL.com. 30 March 2017.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:01 AM

640 posts, read 698,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
While much of the expansion occured before I got here in 99, the newer annexations out near county line hadn't happened yet. The impression I got back then was that Madison residents wanted to keep Madison small. Seems like those plans back fired
Not really, nobody paid much attention to what the residents wanted.

A lot of Madison residents are tired of the city annexing large areas for residential development, especially in Limestone county. Those residential developments don't really pay for themselves in terms of the costs incurred in building new schools and adding utility capacity. Huntsville has effectively placed a cap on those potential annexations by surrounding Madison. Mr. Fanning was part of that.

Nobody has a problem with development on US 72. It's going to happen, might as well be within the Madison city limits.

Madison even struck out with the hospital. Crestwood would have paid taxes, Huntsville Hospital doesn't.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:18 PM

493 posts, read 713,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
It is already part of Huntsville.
Some years ago (cannot remember exactly how long) Louis Breland wanted to de-annex the land for Town Madison out of Madison city limits and into Huntsville city limits. Obviously it didn't work out but I guess it's possible to do however all of the land in the area that I am familiar with that has been annexed was originally in the county.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:20 PM

493 posts, read 713,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csutton79 View Post
Confirmed and the developer has updated the property flier with the Publix logo and lease pending on unit 3 and 4

http://twdre.com/ShoppesatRedstone/S...atRedstone.pdf
I am so happy that it is going to be a Publix!

Old 04-05-2017, 09:29 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needtosellmyhome View Post
Some years ago (cannot remember exactly how long) Louis Breland wanted to de-annex the land for Town Madison out of Madison city limits and into Huntsville city limits. Obviously it didn't work out but I guess it's possible to do however all of the land in the area that I am familiar with that has been annexed was originally in the county.
Yes there was talk about it but I can't remember why it didn't happen. I am surprised he didn't abandon the project. It is turning into one of those floundering developments and he probably wishes he would have worked until he got it annexed into Huntsville now.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:04 AM

183 posts, read 229,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Yes there was talk about it but I can't remember why it didn't happen. I am surprised he didn't abandon the project. It is turning into one of those floundering developments and he probably wishes he would have worked until he got it annexed into Huntsville now.

Pretty sure after the whole Cabela's thing, Breland is happy to not be associated with Huntsville. Besides, there is nothing about being in Madison that is delaying this project. Breland ended up annexing more land from the former Intergraph site, and thus changed the thrust of the project after it began. Utilities are being relocated on the roadway and that is part of the current hold-up.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:54 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
He has developments all over Huntsville. The Cabela's thing was a bit of a pissing match but he isn't going to stop developing in Huntsville and pass on making millions.

From what I have heard, the main hold up with Towne Madison is they can't seem to attract any major retailers. If they ever build the 565 interchange it would probably help but who knows how long that thing will drag on. The development may be in its fifth or sixth year before that thing ever gets completed if they don't get a move on.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:59 PM

375 posts, read 513,866 times
There's a contractor on site working on phase I of the I-565 interchange at Town Madison currently. They've been at it for about a month now working primarily on what will be the east on ramp and the roadway that'll be on the southern side of 565. My guess is that you'd be looking at completion in late 2018 or early 2019.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:56 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grumpy View Post
There's a contractor on site working on phase I of the I-565 interchange at Town Madison currently. They've been at it for about a month now working primarily on what will be the east on ramp and the roadway that'll be on the southern side of 565. My guess is that you'd be looking at completion in late 2018 or early 2019.
Why in the world does the interchange have to be built in "phases"? It's just a simple interchange, not a Dallas High Five. Just build the darn thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area