Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:24 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
In reality, it is probably more like 15% tops. There are far....far more local every day jobs than there are transplanted engineering jobs and other related defense jobs. I guess people that are in a circle of people working on projects that were moved here may think that since a significant portion of the people they work with are from other areas that it extrapolates out to the entire population but that just isn't the case. Even a fair amount of engineers are originally from this area.

Yeah I work with quite a few local engineers that are either from Huntsville, north Alabama or southern Tennessee. A lot of engineers from UAH are locals as well as among the black population at A&M. I think it varies among age as well, among the younger population there is much less of a transplant population as there would be with some of the older population. The Huntsville area definitely has a much larger percentage of transplants than any other area in Alabama. This article below lists the percentage of people per county that were born in Alabama. The statewide average is about 70% but there are some counties in the 90% range. The national average is about 58.7% of residents being born in the same state as they live. The number of people born in Alabama that live in Madison county is about 54.1%, and that doesn't include people born in Southern Tennessee, or people who were born elsewhere but primarily grew up in the local area or somewhere in Alabama. I'd imagine the real number of transplanted population to Huntsville is probably somewhere in the 20-40% range.

Alabama by the Numbers: Which county has the most native Alabamians? | AL.com

Old 05-31-2017, 05:10 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Yeah I work with quite a few local engineers that are either from Huntsville, north Alabama or southern Tennessee. A lot of engineers from UAH are locals as well as among the black population at A&M. I think it varies among age as well, among the younger population there is much less of a transplant population as there would be with some of the older population. The Huntsville area definitely has a much larger percentage of transplants than any other area in Alabama. This article below lists the percentage of people per county that were born in Alabama. The statewide average is about 70% but there are some counties in the 90% range. The national average is about 58.7% of residents being born in the same state as they live. The number of people born in Alabama that live in Madison county is about 54.1%, and that doesn't include people born in Southern Tennessee, or people who were born elsewhere but primarily grew up in the local area or somewhere in Alabama. I'd imagine the real number of transplanted population to Huntsville is probably somewhere in the 20-40% range.

Alabama by the Numbers: Which county has the most native Alabamians? | AL.com
I was transplanted, but it was right after college ... so long ago that I consider myself to be a native.

There are around 12 houses on my street (a cul de sac) and I don't think any of the residents are locally born and raised. All are either engineers or military, and all come from elsewhere.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:18 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I was transplanted, but it was right after college ... so long ago that I consider myself to be a native.

There are around 12 houses on my street (a cul de sac) and I don't think any of the residents are locally born and raised. All are either engineers or military, and all come from elsewhere.
12 houses are not representative of the entire population of the city. That particular area may just in fact be attractive to transplant engineers. Even with the high concentration of Engineers / military at most make up about 10% of the workforce here. The numbers don't lie the transplant population of Huntsville is significantly higher than most places in Alabama but only slightly higher than the national average but significant for a small or medium size city. Most major city populations (with the exception of dying rustbelt cities) consist of mostly transplants anyway. But my whole point to begin with the numbers are nowhere near close to 90% or anything even over 50%. The specific details don't really matter because I agree that Huntsville has a significant transplant population just not that much.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:29 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
12 houses are not representative of the entire population of the city. That particular area may just in fact be attractive to transplant engineers. Even with the high concentration of Engineers / military at most make up about 10% of the workforce here. The numbers don't lie the transplant population of Huntsville is significantly higher than most places in Alabama but only slightly higher than the national average but significant for a small or medium size city. Most major city populations (with the exception of dying rustbelt cities) consist of mostly transplants anyway. But my whole point to begin with the numbers are nowhere near close to 90% or anything even over 50%. The specific details don't really matter because I agree that Huntsville has a significant transplant population just not that much.
Didn't say nor intend to imply that it was representative of the city. Just an example of where there are a lot of "out of towers" living. For what it's worth, I don't live in a particularly transient neighborhood.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:42 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Guys, you're off topic for this thread. I can break this out into a transplant thread if you like.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:20 PM

36 posts, read 41,098 times
My husband and I are looking to move to Huntsville area. We've taken a lot of day trips since we live in South Middle TN. But in reading threads like this, with opinions are all over the place, we're still sitting on the fence. I'm sure OP feels confused too.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:32 PM

153 posts, read 197,161 times
I know you mentioned you had family in Cullman. But have you considered moving to Nashville? It's a moderate liberal city with a huge LGBT population. It's only a two hour drive from Huntsville.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:54 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead545 View Post
My husband and I are looking to move to Huntsville area. We've taken a lot of day trips since we live in South Middle TN. But in reading threads like this, with opinions are all over the place, we're still sitting on the fence. I'm sure OP feels confused too.
I'm curious, what were you expecting? And how does opinions of five people make you confused?

Old 06-13-2017, 12:15 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
Noticed this thread scrolling down to the Oregon forum- have to say, my SO is from Huntsville, their close relative is transgendered and has been harassed relentlessly- and they have lived there close to 40 years now.
Also some of my SOs friends are gay- and they got outa huntsville asap after High school.
I think you can, live there and be gay (and maybe the south needs more gay families, its where the work needs to be done, thats for sure), but I would not say its easy, or inclusive. At all.
Heck Huntsville has a section, kid you not, called Whitesburg. And its literally for white people.
There are some great folks in Huntsville, but all in all, I would not call it inclusive.(Went down with SO to visit relatives last year.)

Old 06-13-2017, 06:49 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Noticed this thread scrolling down to the Oregon forum- have to say, my SO is from Huntsville, their close relative is transgendered and has been harassed relentlessly- and they have lived there close to 40 years now.
Also some of my SOs friends are gay- and they got outa huntsville asap after High school.
I think you can, live there and be gay (and maybe the south needs more gay families, its where the work needs to be done, thats for sure), but I would not say its easy, or inclusive. At all.
Heck Huntsville has a section, kid you not, called Whitesburg. And its literally for white people.
There are some great folks in Huntsville, but all in all, I would not call it inclusive.(Went down with SO to visit relatives last year.)
I understand there's a lot of 'bait' in this post but Whitesburg.. is a road.. not a white area. It also connects to an area that has public housing now which is decidedly... not white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area