Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 07:35 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Noticed this thread scrolling down to the Oregon forum- have to say, my SO is from Huntsville, their close relative is transgendered and has been harassed relentlessly- and they have lived there close to 40 years now.
Also some of my SOs friends are gay- and they got outa huntsville asap after High school.
I think you can, live there and be gay (and maybe the south needs more gay families, its where the work needs to be done, thats for sure), but I would not say its easy, or inclusive. At all.
Heck Huntsville has a section, kid you not, called Whitesburg. And its literally for white people.
There are some great folks in Huntsville, but all in all, I would not call it inclusive.(Went down with SO to visit relatives last year.)
Writing on the internet is fun. One of the nice things about the internet is people can post things like this who don't have a clue and get away with it.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:08 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I understand there's a lot of 'bait' in this post but Whitesburg.. is a road.. not a white area. It also connects to an area that has public housing now which is decidedly... not white.
Haha. Virginia has a city called "Blacksburg" where the university Virginia Tech is located. I don't think that is for black people only.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:13 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead545 View Post
My husband and I are looking to move to Huntsville area. We've taken a lot of day trips since we live in South Middle TN. But in reading threads like this, with opinions are all over the place, we're still sitting on the fence. I'm sure OP feels confused too.
Posts like this amuse me. I often wonder reasons why people relocate? The #1 reason in my mind is job change and #2 is to be closer to family. Other reasons may mean you are running away from something/ someone.

There are people who're afraid of their own shadows and demand the public to provide a "safe place" for their different opinions/ life styles. At risk of being politically incorrect, I'd say grow a pair. If you're gay but assertive enough to come out of the closet and live an openly gay life style, then WTH do you care what other people think? Here is a thought for you: words can NOT hurt you, if you don't let it.

I've been here 8 years and I have never hear of any anti-gay, anti- LGBTQ crimes or any hate speeches. In this forum NOBODY has mentioned any prior. If you're looking for discrimination of any kind, you will find it even in liberal cities. I can not speak from personal experience but I believe you can find like-minded gay community here in Huntsville as your social network & support groups.

If you're openly gay, I'd assume you've learned to handle the strange looks people give you, the embarrassing questions they asked, etc. You've learned to smile and laugh and deal with them with humor instead of getting all angry and screaming how people are insensitive toward MY feelings. If not, I got news for you. People here stare at me because I am a YANKEE so get used to it.

I just can not imagine making a life-changing relocation to a city you have NOT visited but based on a few internet posts. If you do, I'd recommend you learn better life-survival skills.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:33 AM

125 posts, read 165,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I just can not imagine making a life-changing relocation to a city you have NOT visited but based on a few internet posts. If you do, I'd recommend you learn better life-survival skills.
I agree with this. Why base judgement from a handful of anonymous comments where a questionable majority of the negativity is coming from people that may not even live in the area?

Old 06-13-2017, 09:34 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
We don't care about gays.

Liberals? 'Nother matter entirely.
This post may sound like it was meant as a joke, but there's actually quite a bit of truth to it. I've lived in Huntsville since '89, and I've seen folks around here have more issues with "liberal social justice warriors" than LGBT folks who just go about their own business. If you are a gay person who likes to preach it to the world, and make it the business of those around you, then yes you will have problems here. If you are a gay person who just likes to go to work then come home to your family and live a normal life like it's really no one else's business what you do in the bedroom and with whom, then you will be respected and not have a problem here. I have many friends of both persuasions, and the former have all moved out of Alabama, while the latter have all stayed.

So yes. Folks around here have more problems with an outgoing liberal mindset then they do with gays.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:14 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,580,465 times
a lot of people want to find problems or issues. Unless there is some drama in their lives they get anxious

Old 06-13-2017, 12:20 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I understand there's a lot of 'bait' in this post but Whitesburg.. is a road.. not a white area. It also connects to an area that has public housing now which is decidedly... not white.
you mean the ones along "Bob Wallace" road?

I am just sharing my first hand observations as a visitor -we know people in those public housing projects... As well as people in Whitesburg...
There is a church that welcomes gay folks too...
but not sure I for one would feel comfortable posting it (outing it) on this board.

Look, I grew up in the South, as well as my SO... and there is progress to be made. Pretending it doesnt exist isn't helpful.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:30 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
Writing on the internet is fun. One of the nice things about the internet is people can post things like this who don't have a clue and get away with it.
Trying being a white transgendered person driving your black stepgrandkids through Whitesburg. Its not fun. And we were in the Publix last year, it was weird, but it could be a race thing. (The Publix in Whitesburg)-

Its pretty easy if you are white, not gay or closeted to live and let live, but if you can't help but stand out it definitely feels different (but maybe not if you have never left the south- I am posting for those new to the south)

I am familiar with what gay life in the south is like-
interesting podcast of one persons experience of being a closeted gay man, and a fine upstanding citizen in his small alabama community was like for him-

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Old 06-13-2017, 01:05 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
Quote:
Trying being a white transgendered person driving your black stepgrandkids through Whitesburg. Its not fun. And we were in the Publix last year, it was weird, but it could be a race thing. (The Publix in Whitesburg)-

Its pretty easy if you are white, not gay or closeted to live and let live, but if you can't help but stand out it definitely feels different (but maybe not if you have never left the south- I am posting for those new to the south)

interesting podcast of one persons experience of being a closeted gay man, and a fine upstanding citizen in his small alabama community was like for him-

Look, sorry you got looks. But please don't come in here disparaging this city, because of your looks and based on 15 minutes at a grocery store. Especially posting that podcast, it is clear you know nothing about this town.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:33 PM

301 posts, read 333,741 times
Quote:

I can tell you love labels.....

white
transgendered
black
step grand kids
whitesburg

I have a feeling you see yourself as a perpetual victim. You might be a bigger part of the problem than you realize
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area