Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 08:46 AM

69 posts, read 93,472 times

Advertisements

Any idea as to why Blue Pants Brewery in Madison is closing down, the letter from the owners didn't seem to indicate a specific reason. My guesses are it's bad location and maybe the market for craft breweries in the Huntsville metro is becoming over saturated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 07:53 PM

653 posts, read 588,045 times
A little bird told me that they haven't been able to make their rent and were way behind. If they didn't catch up then they were going to be evicted.

The location for a brewpub was bad. Being tucked out of site and being in Madison didn't help much. I hope the core of the company can keep the hardware, relocate, and restart. Good luck to them all.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:34 AM

1,210 posts, read 887,963 times
Let's face it, 90% of the appeal of overpriced craft beer is telling people about it. After a while, nobody cares and it's back to Miller Light or Corona or Becks.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:35 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Let's face it, 90% of the appeal of overpriced craft beer is telling people about it. After a while, nobody cares and it's back to Miller Light or Corona or Becks.
I've sort of gotten over the craft beer scene too. I got into it for a couple years but now I'm back to Budweiser or Bud Light, depending on my mood. I still go for a local IPA once in a while if I'm out and about.

The biggest thing about the craft beer scene is that the better restaurants usually follow it.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:09 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I've sort of gotten over the craft beer scene too. I got into it for a couple years but now I'm back to Budweiser or Bud Light, depending on my mood. I still go for a local IPA once in a while if I'm out and about.

The biggest thing about the craft beer scene is that the better restaurants usually follow it.
Ditto...I typically drink Ultra at home w/ the occasional craft 6-pack if it is from a brewery I find I really like when on vacation. I do like my stouts though...

The only time I have a craft pint is when I go out to eat, which isn't very often these days...and even then I can't afford to pay $6/beer x a few when I'm out eating, so will typically limit it to 1 or follow up w/ something mainstream and light.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:16 PM

653 posts, read 588,045 times
I certainly can understand those opting out of buying craft beer due to the cost; however, the big name beers to me have no taste. Like the saying goes; they're alot like having sex in a canoe... f*****g close to water.

I usually wait for Sam Adams seasonal beer to go on sale or grab a variety pack to try some I may not normally buy. If I do make cost the decision point then I'll usually go after Yuengling or Killians.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:38 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Wow. I'm lurking because... possible relocation if I ever get an interview.

I love local beers and, short of those will choose a Kona, possibly Sam Adams.

Hoping my choices will reach beyond Budweiser. (Butt-wiper)

Old 08-11-2019, 06:55 AM

12,960 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Wow. I'm lurking because... possible relocation if I ever get an interview.

I love local beers and, short of those will choose a Kona, possibly Sam Adams.

Hoping my choices will reach beyond Budweiser. (Butt-wiper)
Don't worry about local beers if you relocate here ... even with Blue Pants demise, there are several other local breweries. https://ourvalleyevents.com/huntsville-breweries/

Old 08-11-2019, 01:09 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,836,154 times
I have never been to their location. Mainly because it is in Madison but like others said it is in a crappy location in Madison to top it off. I have tried some of their beer in a local restaurant a couple of years ago and didn't care for it. I haven't found very many craft beers at all that I like either. I will be glad when the fad finally fades and restaurants quit using all their taps on crappy overpriced craft beers and return to quality imports.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:52 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,372,008 times
I'm just dropping in since this popped up on the main board. Unfortunately, I'm not relocating to Alabama anytime soon.

One of the trends I've seen in the craft beer industry in the last couple of years is a migration away from the early days where a brewery started with a restaurant to get people in with beer and food and still be able to have a family dining experience. Generally, they've been located in higher-rent restaurant and shopping districts in Everytown, USA.

The more successful craft breweries I've seen lately are going to a beer-only model, and renting space to food trucks. This trend started in the west and seems to be spreading eastward. Indeed, in Portland, Oregon where the craft beer craze arguably started in the late 1980's, long time breweries have begun to fold as they've seen the high dollar restaurant operations that they put together in the 90's and early 2000's fail.

The shift in business model has some breweries setting up or even moving to areas that aren't as densely shopped, such as warehouse and industrial areas or places that have cheaper square footage. This also gets them out of the way of many local regulations concerning historic districts, blight, high property taxes, restrictions on signage, landscaping, etc. They can concentrate on perfecting their beer away from the local busy bodies while the local food trucks worry about booking and making any food.

While this isn't happening everywhere, such as places that have high tourism traffic, it's a better formula for the locals to have a place to enjoy decent beer at a competitive price and where the brewery can actually turn a profit and make payroll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: