Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 06:21 AM

316 posts, read 215,117 times

Advertisements

I get being cautious but this is overkill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 08:54 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,712,340 times
I have absolutely NO TOLERANCE for any of the conspiracy theory b/s in circulation or anything similar to it that is being pushed at various media sites or at public or private discussion forums.

Before one posts anything that at all embraces any aspect of such theories or perspective, step back and hit the "pause button" so to speak and consider how such a post may look in a different time frame, i.e 1 week from now, or in 1 month, 1 year, etc...
As an example of that, go take a look at & then consider the completely changed tone that Fox News The Five co-host Jesse Waters has now taken regarding the coronavirus threat; one that is diametrically opposite from what he was saying on air just a few days ago.
As they say, "Live and learn."

Old 03-17-2020, 12:31 PM

162 posts, read 181,288 times
This is not being overblown. Alabama's number of cases is rising. Now we're starting to see the state consider shutting down most businesses.

Britain didn't take it serious and it has killed 50+ people since outbreak as recent as yesterday. I don't know what the numbers are now for that country. It's probably going to be ugly over there.

Scientists are working on a vaccine that seems to be helping. It's a combination of HIV drugs and drugs that fight Malaria.

To me this seems almost like a plague, and if we didn't have the advancements in our medical technology, it would probably be one of the most deadly viruses in human history. It could easily pop up somewhere unexpected and continue to try to spread among the population later on when we think we have it under control. I think this is a threat we'll be dealing with for the foreseable future.

Old 03-17-2020, 03:30 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,897,031 times
The response was sluggish, no question. I just don't think it would have changed anything. It's not realistic to suggest the USA could have had 100,000 test kits sitting around for a virus that wasn't previously identified.

So the only sluggish response is - we didn't get tests soon enough. And as the good dr. said today - the number of tests hardly changes anything. All it would do is confirm lots of people have it. And the result would be the same. Unless you think Italy is an anomaly.

What South Korea - and Hong Kong - have in common is that they experienced things like this in recent history. They are prepared because they were burnt once or three times. And so -as a nation - when the call went out - they all went home and sat inside without much of a debate.

Try that here...it's not even working now, with plenty of info available.

There is just not - obvious to me anyway - something that could have been done sooner that would change this. Real answers, not fantasy.

Americans (a percentage of them) are a stubborn proud lot. I believe (opinion not fact) that there are many - many - Americans who would rather die of the virus than be forced to do anything.

That type of mindset is really - really - uncommon in Asia.

Old 03-17-2020, 03:32 PM

again with the double space - I'm sorry - it's not intentional...

Old 03-17-2020, 04:17 PM

13,086 posts, read 9,621,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
again with the double space - I'm sorry - it's not intentional...
No problem - it's easier to read. At least it's not all in one paragraph.

I think a good deal of what you call stubbornness I would describe as "macho". They think that following safe practices would make them look weak.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:13 PM

11,891 posts, read 5,865,768 times
I'm sure we had plenty of cases here in the US back in January but just didn't know it. We have a large contingent of overseas students in our area due to the Dental and Medical University here in Buffalo. Disneyworld and land attract thousands of overseas tourists as does Niagara Falls - even in the winter. The you have the large population of Asians in many areas of the country that travel back to their home country.

Having test kits available earlier may have helped stop the spread but often people were tested 2-3 times before they tested positive. Earlier deaths may have been contributed to the flu.

Americans have to stick together - not attack each other or even the politicians as you're wasting your energy and anger. The stress some people are putting on themselves is only making things worse for them physically.

As horrible as the situation is - Tom Hanks - a type 2 diabetic and 63 and his wife Rita who had cancer in 2015 were released from the hospital today in Australia. That's a good sign that someone who is older and who's system has been compromised was released so soon. Those who have passed really have extreme compromised immune systems that just can't fight the disease.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:15 AM

6,517 posts, read 3,202,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
The response was sluggish, no question. I just don't think it would have changed anything. It's not realistic to suggest the USA could have had 100,000 test kits sitting around for a virus that wasn't previously identified.

So the only sluggish response is - we didn't get tests soon enough. And as the good dr. said today - the number of tests hardly changes anything. All it would do is confirm lots of people have it. And the result would be the same. Unless you think Italy is an anomaly.

Americans (a percentage of them) are a stubborn proud lot. I believe (opinion not fact) that there are many - many - Americans who would rather die of the virus than be forced to do anything.

A bio-lab in China is developing a potentially killer strain of virus. First question, WHY???? Secondly, it supposedly "sneaks out".......and circulates around the world in just 60-70 days, with the Chinese adamantly claiming they didn't know anything about it???

Therefore, how could the US, or ANY country have been prepared for this, let alone had developed "test kits" for it?? Initially, you need to know about the virus' existence, before you can even begin researching it's characteristics, then allowing you to develop a "test kit".

The entire world got caught "with their shorts down". Think this was just a coincidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
........As horrible as the situation is - Tom Hanks - a type 2 diabetic and 63 and his wife Rita who had cancer in 2015 were released from the hospital today in Australia. That's a good sign that someone who is older and who's system has been compromised was released so soon. Those who have passed really have extreme compromised immune systems that just can't fight the disease.
Tom and his wife were in Australia, when their symptoms first appeared. While it hasn't been noted, at least by my observation, as to how long they had been there before they fell ill, it makes you wonder how this virus could have reached such a far away as Australia, so quickly.....pretty much as quickly as everywhere else.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:03 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,856,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_NorthHSV View Post
This is not being overblown. Alabama's number of cases is rising. Now we're starting to see the state consider shutting down most businesses.

Britain didn't take it serious and it has killed 50+ people since outbreak as recent as yesterday. I don't know what the numbers are now for that country. It's probably going to be ugly over there.

Scientists are working on a vaccine that seems to be helping. It's a combination of HIV drugs and drugs that fight Malaria.

To me this seems almost like a plague, and if we didn't have the advancements in our medical technology, it would probably be one of the most deadly viruses in human history. It could easily pop up somewhere unexpected and continue to try to spread among the population later on when we think we have it under control. I think this is a threat we'll be dealing with for the foreseable future.
The plague? Really? lol
The problem with your statements is Covid19 isn't actually that bad of a virus. Most people feel a little sick and maybe have a temperature for a day or two and then get better. It is mostly the typical vulnerable group (existing conditions, respiratory problems, impaired immune system, etc.) that should be concerned. You know.....the same people that need to be extremely concerned and avoiding the public due to the Flu this time of year.

This has all been completely overblown and there is so much misinformation out there. I stopped by a Mapco gas station this morning. They are limiting the store to 5 customers inside at a time. Employees are wearing medical gloves but no mask. Covid19 is primarily spread via airborne so what are they accomplishing I must ask? It is pretty comical.

What should we do? Go on with our lives and do basically the same thing we do when there is a flu outbreak every single year. Look at how many people contract the flu and how many die from it every single year in each country. Compare those numbers to Covid19 and then sit back and ponder your thoughts for a moment.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:19 PM

No. I just posted this on another thread, but I'll repeat here with clarity.

The number of dead people from CVID19 in Italy has exceeded the number of dead influenza people in the previous 12 months (In italy). It did this in one week, more or less. And there is no change in the rate at the moment, so it will easily exceed the flu - in Italy, at least.

So if you have some reason to think it's not coming to the USA - please share. Otherwise - I really feel your disinformation has at least some chance of making it worse - and zero chance of making it better. Others may disagree with that - but there is no chance for you to argue with that data. It's worse than the flu.

I agree that gloves are not helpful.

But today's data suggests 80% of the spread is from the 20% of people who are carrying the virus without symptoms. Thus - the limited crowds. Again - once the trend line of dead people starts to level off or decline- then I expect public policies will change - if it keeps accelerating - then all bets are off. It's not panic. It's data. Study first. complain later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area