Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 07:50 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,595,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_NorthHSV View Post
Well now she has finally come the the realization of what needs to be done........

Stay at home orders start Saturday.
The list of non-essential businesses seems rather small. Does that mean that all other businesses can stay open as long as people stay at least 6 feet apart? I find it hard to figure out which ones have to close and which ones can stay open. In between are businesses that can't serve the public on premises but are allowed to have takeout or deivereries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 11:51 AM

13 posts, read 9,222 times
Probably the best thing a mask does is keep you from touching your face.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,132 times
Stay home and try N95(a medical mask meeting the N95 NIOSH air filtration rating) should be the best solution right now.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:09 PM

396 posts, read 665,496 times
Are we allowed to bicycle on the greenways and streets now?

Old 04-05-2020, 06:15 AM

6,462 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisondaviiss View Post
Stay home and try N95(a medical mask meeting the N95 NIOSH air filtration rating) should be the best solution right now.
Excellent idea..................now just try and find one of those masks!!!!

Old 04-05-2020, 08:25 AM

46,311 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
The list of non-essential businesses seems rather small. Does that mean that all other businesses can stay open as long as people stay at least 6 feet apart? I find it hard to figure out which ones have to close and which ones can stay open. In between are businesses that can't serve the public on premises but are allowed to have takeout or deivereries

I received an email from the Alabama WMA, Hunting, Fishing, Trail walking, etc....are all considered essential as long as you stay 6 feet away....

Old 04-06-2020, 07:47 AM

654 posts, read 591,256 times
First and foremost, you can make statistics support whatever narrative you may want to put forth to people.
Typically those types of statisticians work for special interest groups to include political parties. I'm neither a statistician or work for a special interest group other than the group of "Me".

I was wondering last night how the current deaths that have been attributed to COVID-19 compare to the average death rate in each state since we've been in this thing for about a month now.

A few searches later, some cut/paste into a spreadsheet, and a formula or two and BAM, I have a comparison. I tried to keep it simple so I wouldn't miss simple comparisons. Unfortunately I could not figure out how to provide the information in a table on this forum. Too big as a picture (jpg & etc).

For each state, I found 2019-July estimated population (from wiki).
For each state, I found 2017 death rate per 1000. (from wiki)
For each state, I found current (as of 5-April) COVID-19 cases & deaths. (from cnn)

Home::
Alabama:

Est Pop. - 4,903,185
Ave Death per 1000 - 10.9
Ave Death per month - 4,454
COVID-19 Deaths - 45

Hot spots::
New York:

Est. Pop. - 19,453,561
Ave Death per 1000 - 151,738
Ave Death per month - 12,645
COVID-19 Deaths - 4,159

New Jersey:
Est. Pop. - 8,882,190
Ave Death per 1000 - 8.3
Ave Death per month - 6,144
COVID-19 Deaths - 917

Michigan:
Est Pop. - 9,986,857
Ave Death per 1000 - 9.8
Ave Death per month - 8,156
COVID-19 Deaths - 617

Old 04-06-2020, 11:04 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,880,794 times
Not sure what your point is. Why don't you do it by day? New York City per day is about 400. Right now they are doing 500 more - on top of that 400. It's quite possibly MORE than 500 more - as they can't count them that fast.
The "overall" dead in the long run is not the problem. It's the logistics of dealing with the minute to minute dead.
You don't need to do any "statistics" to know that Alabama, New Jersey and Michigan are all on the "upswing" with regard to daily death. Their "regular" totals are:

AL - 148 per day
NJ - 204 per day
MI - 271 per day
ALL OF THEM are going to blow right past that "per day" - THAT is the reason for the "lockdown" - not the overall dent in the annual totals. That is pretty much irrelevant. No statistics needed.
If you're going to do it by month, why not by year? Decade? Century?
The grand total is not the issue - the resources to deal with the daily load are what the lockdown is all about.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:23 PM

654 posts, read 591,256 times
Roodd279: Not sure what your point is.
As originally stated; I was wondering last night how the current deaths that have been attributed to COVID-19 compare to the average death rate in each state since we've been in this thing for about a month now.

Roodd279: Why don't you do it by day?
As originally stated; we have been going at this for about a month.
Granted, this may have started here in the states much sooner than a month but effectively our focus was largely outside of CONUS. In addition, viewing the numbers by day rather than by month would be too small of a sampling in my opinion regardless of the outliers (in this case, the hot spots).

I agree with you that dealing with the logistics of the pandemic is staggering and difficult to image.
In regards to upswing in deaths; given the various stages of lockdown in each state would presume the lockdowns will result in fewer vehicular deaths? If so then how would that compare to the current rate of death due to the virus? How will it effect the monthly standard deviation?

Old 04-06-2020, 01:49 PM

326 posts, read 673,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
I'll be the first to criticize our society for being overly fear-driven, and for assessing risk poorly in the favor of erring too much on the side of safety.

But in this case, the response is appropriate at best, and too little too late at worst.

I understand why people are inclined to cry 'overreaction'! Both because exponential math is counterintuitive and because there has been too much aforementioned Chicken Little hysteria about things in the past.

But look to anyone who knows anything substantial about epidemics and they are all pretty much saying the same thing. That this virus has a very, very real risk of overrunning our healthcare system if these measures aren't taken.

While I'm concerned we may not have done enough, soon enough, I'm not freaked out right now because people are starting to freak out. I'd be freaking out if people *weren't* freaking out.

Because that's the math here.

And "freaking out" here is a little bit of a misnomer. People are being prepared and prudent measures are being taken. I've not seen any signs of hysteria. What you see in the stores is pretty typical of what you'd expect of a momentary widespread shift in demand for goods. The inventory on shelves is much, much thinner than most people realize. It doesn't take much of a demand shift to create those empty shelves, but it's not as alarming as it looks.

Shutting down society as much as possible can have a dramatic impact on exponential disease spread. People don't get it, but it's true.

Part of me is kind of hoping that we're *just enough* little too late so that the general public has enough of an allegorical case to pocket for future reference. Because had the government responded perfectly, very few people would have gotten sick and I fear the public would have said "Look! All that reaction for nothing!"

Which would be tragic, because next time (and there will be a next time eventually) it might be a much more frightening virus, and when that 'next time' comes, it might be for the best if whatever happens now increases vigilance instead of causing complacency.
How refreshing to read such an intelligent post. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area