Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 05:14 PM

653 posts, read 589,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Maybe the people that get Social Security and were non-filers would move to the head of the line if they logged onto the new non-filers website and provided the direct deposit info there. Otherwise the IRS would have to get the direct deposit info from Social Security itself.
Okay, maybe I'm just slow.

If you are retired and collecting social security and not working then your sources of income are:

1. Social Security (not impacted by COVID-19)
2. Pension (not impacted by COVID-19)
3. 401K / Military or some other Governmental retirement (not impacted by COVID-19)

Why would somebody retired (e.g. not working) be entitled to a COVID-19 related stimulus check?
What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 05:42 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post

If you are retired and collecting social security and not working then your sources of income are:

3. 401K / Military or some other Governmental retirement (not impacted by COVID-19)

Why would somebody retired (e.g. not working) be entitled to a COVID-19 related stimulus check?
What am I missing?
So they can spend it and stimulate the economy, or that's the rationale I've heard. I agree with you in principle though.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:46 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:

What am I missing?
You are missing the definition of the word, "stimulus". Let me help you.

Quote:
something that causes growth or activity:

Foreign investment has been a stimulus to the industry.
The book will provide a stimulus to research in this very important area.
STIMULUS _ definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

Now let's look at the synonyms for the word.

Quote:
catalyst
encouragement
fillip
impetus
incentive
motivation
stimulant
stimulation
bang
boost
cause
charge
fireworks
flash
goad
impulse
incitation
incitement
inducement
instigation
invitation
kick
motive
propellant
push
spur
sting
turn-on
urging
eye-opener
piquing
shot in the arm
Stimulus Synonyms, Stimulus Antonyms _ Thesaurus.com

Note that the word "entitled" is no where on that list. In short, the check is a stimulus, not an entitlement. I hope this helps you understanding of it.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:47 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
Quote:

What am I missing?
For the same reason someone laid off who is drawing more through unemployment than their regular pay. The same reason that government workers, teachers whose pay has continued, and those to be determined essential workers are getting a check.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:28 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,593,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
For the same reason someone laid off who is drawing more through unemployment than their regular pay. The same reason that government workers, teachers whose pay has continued, and those to be determined essential workers are getting a check.
Someone I know would love to go on unemployment right now. He makes about $300 per week from his job. If he were to go on unemployment his weekly amount would be:

Estimated amount=1200*3/26=$138
Additional amount Cares Act=$600
Total unemployment=$738

He would collect about $13,000 from unemployment for the first four months. From working he would make about $5000.

Quote:
If you are eligible to receive unemployment, your weekly benefit rate (WBR) will be 1/26 of your average quarterly earnings in your two highest paid quarters of the base period. The minimum amount you will receive is $45; the maximum amount you will receive is $275. You may receive benefits for a maximum of 26 weeks.
Quote:
In a historic expansion of unemployment insurance, the federal government would give jobless workers an extra $600 a week on top of their state benefits for four months as part of the $2 trillion stimulus bill the Senate passed unanimously late Wednesday night.
Stimulus bill offers $600 a week to the unemployed for 4 months
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/polit...rus/index.html

Old 04-19-2020, 08:43 AM

609 posts, read 529,755 times
Quote:

What am I missing?
I am not retired but my 401K sure as heck was impacted by COVID-19.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Someone I know would love to go on unemployment right now. He makes about $300 per week from his job. If he were to go on unemployment his weekly amount would be:

Estimated amount=1200*3/26=$138
Additional amount Cares Act=$600
Total unemployment=$738

He would collect about $13,000 from unemployment for the first four months. From working he would make about $5000.

Stimulus bill offers $600 a week to the unemployed for 4 months
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/polit...rus/index.html
I don't think the stimulus bill was intended to work like that. It's a loophole that needs to be closing. Like welfare, it's better to stay at home and do nothing than it is to have a job.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:24 AM

653 posts, read 589,427 times
I appreciate most of the conversation and the points being made.

The flaw in the system as I see it, revolves around the impact to employment or income. If you or your family were impacted by the COVID-19 lockdown then I think eligibility would be warranted. As GreggT first illustrates and effectively what MisterEd51 alludes to with someone he knows.

It’s those on the other side of the equation who I believe are receiving an ENTITLEMENT in the guise of a STIMULUS. GreggT’s follow on statement illustrates my point. Those who are still employed (government workers, teachers, and other essential workers) are still earning their pay just as they were prior to the pandemic. The addition of the stimulus check (assuming their earnings qualifies them to receive it) becomes a supplement to their current income; an entitlement.

As some have pointed out, it is a stimulus. If that were the case across the board then there wouldn’t be an income qualifier to receive it. I, whose family income has been impacted, would receive a check. Neighbors of mine who have two small business clothing stores, would receive a check. My dentist whose practice has been impacted and likewise his income would too receive a check.

I am grateful for the income limiters that are in place. Without them, the stimulus for many and the entitlement for some, would just prolong any economic recovery our country may have in the future.

For those who are receiving what is amounting to an entitlement, I hope they consider helping those who are receiving it as a stimulus and donate their windfall to local charities. For those of us in north Alabama, one such entity is Food Bank of North Alabama (https://www.foodbanknorthal.org) of which I am not affiliated other than as a grateful supporter.

Three cheers to re-opening a masked economy!

Old 04-19-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I appreciate most of the conversation and the points being made.

The flaw in the system as I see it, revolves around the impact to employment or income. If you or your family were impacted by the COVID-19 lockdown then I think eligibility would be warranted. As GreggT first illustrates and effectively what MisterEd51 alludes to with someone he knows.

It’s those on the other side of the equation who I believe are receiving an ENTITLEMENT in the guise of a STIMULUS. GreggT’s follow on statement illustrates my point. Those who are still employed (government workers, teachers, and other essential workers) are still earning their pay just as they were prior to the pandemic. The addition of the stimulus check (assuming their earnings qualifies them to receive it) becomes a supplement to their current income; an entitlement.

As some have pointed out, it is a stimulus. If that were the case across the board then there wouldn’t be an income qualifier to receive it. I, whose family income has been impacted, would receive a check. Neighbors of mine who have two small business clothing stores, would receive a check. My dentist whose practice has been impacted and likewise his income would too receive a check.

I am grateful for the income limiters that are in place. Without them, the stimulus for many and the entitlement for some, would just prolong any economic recovery our country may have in the future.

For those who are receiving what is amounting to an entitlement, I hope they consider helping those who are receiving it as a stimulus and donate their windfall to local charities. For those of us in north Alabama, one such entity is Food Bank of North Alabama (https://www.foodbanknorthal.org) of which I am not affiliated other than as a grateful supporter.

Three cheers to re-opening a masked economy!
I agree. We're still going to be wearing masks for a while though. In fact, I would't object to masks being a requirement at least until we see if reopening is going to cause a major "second wave".

There are actually two flaws in the system: 1) The ones you pointed out who are continuing to be paid, be it from working at home or retirees, yet receive a stimulus check of some amount; and 2) The flaw of being paid more on stimulus/unemployment benefits that if working (that makes it beneficial to NOT work, which is not good).

Old 04-19-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston3124 View Post
I am not retired but my 401K sure as heck was impacted by COVID-19.
Have you checked your 401K? I did, and mine didn't drop anywhere near the 30% or whatever it was from the peak. It was more like 13-14%. Of course, it hasn't gained back the losses as fast as the Dow either.

It all depends on how the 401K is invested, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: