Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 09:15 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,220,359 times

Advertisements

Alright I am VERY sus of Tuscaloosa County's +17k added population. This is all unincorporated growth which makes absolutely no sense. There is no suburban blowup around Tuscaloosa, only a few subdivisions were built in unincorporated areas of Northport and Tuscaloosa and south Tuscaloosa, barely enough to add maybe 3-5 thousand much less 17 thousands

Last edited by Surge0001; 08-13-2021 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 09:25 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMerendino View Post
Agreed, to some degree. Hernando and DeSoto seem to be doing very well, but there seems to be lots of population shift out of Memphis to right across the border e.g.Olive Branch, etc. Funny thing and totally anecdotal Ive had many friends also move out of Mem to Huntsville and Madison! I have a few friends that live just outside Jackson and are now chomping at the bit to move to Pass Christian. I expect that more and more people will choose to consider great places like Huntsville, coastal AL/MS...I would not count out places like Dothan either. I can see sustained interest in waay over the Mountain/north Shelby, but Bham might lose in favor of other SE locations esp in favor of Huntsville perhaps. Time will tell.
Agree with this, I think people are tired of the old money type politics. They want new ideas, new houses, new things, new ways of life. I've lived all over the place I definitely prefer those things too. Old and stagnant can steal your soul. I think it's probably going to accelerate now too, because urban renewal has slowed considerably. Telework, crime, the need for space (after being cooped up) and obviously virus concern have all contributed to that. Bigger established cities won't die, but they'll grow stagnant, and outer ring suburbs will flourish.

I certainly don't see people opting for super rural areas just yet, but small to mid-size cities with 'enough' going on, but without the urban core of super dense living and crime, will thrive.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:16 PM

141 posts, read 178,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Agree with this, I think people are tired of the old money type politics. They want new ideas, new houses, new things, new ways of life. I've lived all over the place I definitely prefer those things too. Old and stagnant can steal your soul. I think it's probably going to accelerate now too, because urban renewal has slowed considerably. Telework, crime, the need for space (after being cooped up) and obviously virus concern have all contributed to that. Bigger established cities won't die, but they'll grow stagnant, and outer ring suburbs will flourish.

I certainly don't see people opting for super rural areas just yet, but small to mid-size cities with 'enough' going on, but without the urban core of super dense living and crime, will thrive.

Hopefully if Dothan becomes a destination for growth those who come will bring all of the things you mention. Currently it is very stagnant and lacks motivation and vision for growth and change. Crime is rising and the area is just very crammed with chain restaurants, strip malls and hotels/ motels. It desperately needs a change in leadership from the good old local gang to people who are motivated to grow and become something more. The size of the city affords easy travel compared to many places, but the population grows to roughly double in size five to six days a week because of the influx from FL, GA and outlying communities. Traffic can becomes somewhat more of an issue than would be expected for such a small area. Dothan has great potential but great potential is an airplane without wings if no one understands or desires growth, prosperity and an overall better quality of life.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:29 PM

15 posts, read 16,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Huntsville is becoming more and more The destination.
Just crossing my fingers and waiting for the day Huntsville becomes the next Austin. From the property prices stand point of course, not the oversaturation.

Old 08-13-2021, 01:10 PM

34 posts, read 42,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Here are the Top 11 most populated cities in the state:

1. Huntsville: 215,006

2. Birmingham: 200,733

3. Montgomery: 200,603

4. Mobile: 187,041

5. Tuscaloosa: 99,600

6. Hoover: 92,606

7. Auburn: 76,143

8. Dothan: 71,072

9. Decatur: 57,938

10. Madison: 56,933

11. Florence: 40,184

It will be interesting to see how 5-11 shake out over the next 10 years. The dark horses; Dothan and Decatur. Think you will see Auburn make big moves up.

Is there any special thing in Tuscaloosa? I think her population is very high. I thought it was just a college town. I know UA has a very special meaning to Alabamians, though (I didn't understand this when I moved to Alabama).

Old 08-13-2021, 01:27 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neodasan View Post
Is there any special thing in Tuscaloosa? I think her population is very high. I thought it was just a college town. I know UA has a very special meaning to Alabamians, though (I didn't understand this when I moved to Alabama).
Just some Alabamians not all.

Old 08-13-2021, 01:29 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping4Huntsville View Post
Hopefully if Dothan becomes a destination for growth those who come will bring all of the things you mention. Currently it is very stagnant and lacks motivation and vision for growth and change. Crime is rising and the area is just very crammed with chain restaurants, strip malls and hotels/ motels. It desperately needs a change in leadership from the good old local gang to people who are motivated to grow and become something more. The size of the city affords easy travel compared to many places, but the population grows to roughly double in size five to six days a week because of the influx from FL, GA and outlying communities. Traffic can becomes somewhat more of an issue than would be expected for such a small area. Dothan has great potential but great potential is an airplane without wings if no one understands or desires growth, prosperity and an overall better quality of life.
They need that I-10 connector more than Alabama needs I-14

Old 08-13-2021, 02:52 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,220,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neodasan View Post

Tuscaloosa is trying its damnedest to separate itself from being just a collegetown. For example the city just put a ban on massive apartment complex projects to stop student oriented housing

Old 08-13-2021, 05:18 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMerendino View Post
Agreed, to some degree. Hernando and DeSoto seem to be doing very well, but there seems to be lots of population shift out of Memphis to right across the border e.g.Olive Branch, etc. Funny thing and totally anecdotal Ive had many friends also move out of Mem to Huntsville and Madison! I have a few friends that live just outside Jackson and are now chomping at the bit to move to Pass Christian. I expect that more and more people will choose to consider great places like Huntsville, coastal AL/MS...I would not count out places like Dothan either. I can see sustained interest in waay over the Mountain/north Shelby, but Bham might lose in favor of other SE locations esp in favor of Huntsville perhaps. Time will tell.
True, but I mentioned the Memphis suburbs in my original post.

I like the Gulf coast really well. It's a beautiful area. But I don't like the hurricane potential and never have. Plus, I like the four seasons distinctly defined.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:30 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post

Agree for myself (I think I'd go nuts living in an urban center), but NYC has 8.8 million - 7% more than the latest estimates. Apparently some thrive on urban living and tolerate the crime that goes with it.

Birmingham has repurposed some of the large buildings downtown from offices (that became vacant) to apartments/condos, and apparently people are standing in line to live there (assuming that you can believe what is said here on City-Data, and I have no reason to not believe). Same with Huntsville to a lesser degree - and in a few years there will be even more apartments downtown. Don't think I'd want to live there. It's safe, at least now, but I don't like to be crowded like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area