Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 10:14 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,593,158 times

Advertisements

There is still time to report areas in Huntsville that need to be cleaned up. Maybe it will make the OP think better of Huntsville.
Quote:
Huntsville’s Green Team wants to know what you think about litter. As part of the City’s larger commitment to being responsible stewards of our environment, Green Team is conducting a city-wide survey through Aug. 31 to receive public input on litter.
Green Team Cleanup Survey
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/H3XKBWX

Also, I just heard that different parts of Huntsville have had or going to have Neighborhood Cleanup Days. Here is one that I know is coming up:

Holiday Homes Neighborhood Cleanup Day
https://www.huntsvilleal.gov/city-ca...d-cleanup-day/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2022, 10:22 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
It is a good thing that folks like HSVAeroEngineer seem to be in the minority:

https://www.huntsvilleal.gov/city-of...report-survey/

Old 08-28-2022, 10:47 AM

130 posts, read 105,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
It is a good thing that folks like HSVAeroEngineer seem to be in the minority:

https://www.huntsvilleal.gov/city-of...report-survey/

Have you been to Aspen, Colorado or Jackson Hole, Wyoming? Do you think people live better in Aspen, Jackson Hole or Huntsville?

Just giving you some crap but demonstrating how this assessment by US News may have holes in it but I don't care- I am buying a property in Madison next year, so if this report can attract new people to this area and drive property prices up, I am all for it

By the way-I went to the Walmart located at 8580 Hwy 72 W, Madison, AL this morning and the parking lot is complete full of trash and litter- the most shocking thing I saw was a bag and a cup from Jacks- I can't even understand the mindset of a person that does that but I am excited about what the future holds for this area.

I am seeing lots of potential to make a lot of profit here in the next 5-10 years so the reason for this thread is not really to trash Alabama- I am just pointing out things about this area that to do not make any logical sense.

I hope constructive criticism can help this place get better and better so that we all benefit and property values continue to go up but yes, I am already fully invested in this community and willing to help it in its pursue of excellence, mediocrity is not even an option.

Last edited by HSVAeroEngineer; 08-28-2022 at 10:55 AM..

Old 08-28-2022, 10:59 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
carpetbagger noun

car·​pet·​bag·​ger | \ ˈkär-pət-ˌba-gər \
plural carpetbaggers
Definition of carpetbagger
1 disapproving : a Northerner in the South after the American Civil War usually seeking private gain under the Reconstruction governments
2 disapproving : OUTSIDER
especially : a nonresident or new resident who seeks private gain from an area often by meddling in its business or politics

Old 08-28-2022, 11:08 AM

130 posts, read 105,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
carpetbagger noun

car·​pet·​bag·​ger | \ ˈkär-pət-ˌba-gər \
plural carpetbaggers
Definition of carpetbagger
1 disapproving : a Northerner in the South after the American Civil War usually seeking private gain under the Reconstruction governments
2 disapproving : OUTSIDER
especially : a nonresident or new resident who seeks private gain from an area often by meddling in its business or politics
Love it! So, what you are saying is, send all the scientists, engineers and Ph.D's in this area back to the North, California or whatever country they came from and keep only "Southern folk" here?

Hard to tell if this is a joke or if you are serious but if you are serious, all I can say is Wow!- and you wonder why Alabama is fifth poorest state in the USA-the only clue I can offer is- it is has a lot to do with ignorance and backward mentality like this.

I wonder how people in this area feel about all the Mexicans that are basically rebuilding Athens one business at a time and bringing a whole different energy into that town- maybe they should all go back to wherever they came from and let "Southern folk" handle it.

This state only produces 1 college graduate out of every 4 people, so the Marshall Space Flight Center and all the other Aerospace companies would not even exist in this area if they relied solely on local professionals.

Last edited by HSVAeroEngineer; 08-28-2022 at 11:20 AM..

Old 08-28-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVAeroEngineer View Post
Love it! So, what you are saying is, send all the scientists, engineers and Ph.D's in this area back to the North, California or whatever country they came from and keep only "Southern folk" here?

Hard to tell if this is a joke or if you are serious but if you are serious, all I can say is Wow!- and you wonder why Alabama is fifth poorest state in the USA-the only clue I can offer is- it is has a lot to do with ignorance and backward mentality like this.

I wonder how people in this area feel about all the Mexicans that are basically rebuilding Athens one business at a time and bringing a whole different energy into that town- maybe they should all go back to wherever they came from and let "Southern folk" handle it.

This state only produces 1 college graduate out of every 4 people, so the Marshall Space Flight Center and all the other Aerospace companies would not even exist in this area if they relied solely on local professionals.
Well there must be some reason that Alabama is one of the few states more are moving in than out. Think we are number 7 on the list.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:20 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Show me a Walmart that is well managed! The problem is the store manager has actual very little control over the store, they are pretty much run out of Bentonville, even the employees schedules are set out of the home office.
Not true. My friend's daughter who works at Walmart (or should I say, worked) has her schedule set by the HR person at her store.

That being said, she was very glad to quit and go back to college after the summer. She says she will not return to any Walmart for the reasons stated in this thread: mismanaged, understaffed, no effective or formal training, high expectations of people who cannot perform the impossible (in her case, 200 pickup orders inside of 2 hours... uh huh sure). The employees aren't drug tested, and many don't adhere to grooming standards or have any aspirations in life beyond working at a Walmart. Then you have the nose rings, tongue piercings, tattoes everywhere. The daughter also said that employees are treated like children via a point system. Even when an employee is sick there is no excuse even with a doctor's note 1 point.. Even if your car breaks down on the way to work... 1 point. Late arrival: 1/2 point. 5 points and you're out. She said it felt like kindergarten. I guess she now has enough experience to apply elsewhere next summer.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Not true. My friend's daughter who works at Walmart (or should I say, worked) has her schedule set by the HR person at her store.
Our daughter worked at Walmart for two years, this is what she was told as her schedule was jerked all over. Guess your friends, friends, daughter knows better.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:32 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Yes, apparently she would go in to discuss her schedule and it would be adjusted by the HR person right on the screen as she watched. I don't doubt that employees at other stores are jerked around, though.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:34 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVAeroEngineer View Post

The root cause of this issue, I am afraid may be lack of education.
Good lord man just stop. This area has the highest advanced degrees per capita in the entire nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area