Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 04:04 AM

130 posts, read 106,079 times

Advertisements

I need a recommendation for an interior decorator. Basically what I need is someone that is interested in ultra modern decoration and is willing to take on an unique project.

I am willing to work with the right person but also, this will be a great opportunity for her to add an unique project to her portfolio.

My plan is to give this person more business in the near future but I am extremely selective and I would have to interview this person first to see if our ideas/styles align.

I am extremely selective and I can be very condescending, so I need someone who is thick skinned and willing to deal with my sometimes, harsh criticism and sarcasm.

Old 09-12-2022, 10:55 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,842,681 times
I don't think anyone here would recommend anyone they actually like to you.

As for your "ultra modern decoration," good luck selling that house here when the time comes. You limit your market pretty much anywhere with modern design but you severly limit it around here.

Old 09-12-2022, 01:35 PM

12,990 posts, read 9,516,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVAeroEngineer View Post
I need a recommendation for an interior decorator. Basically what I need is someone that is interested in ultra modern decoration and is willing to take on an unique project.

I am willing to work with the right person but also, this will be a great opportunity for her to add an unique project to her portfolio.

My plan is to give this person more business in the near future but I am extremely selective and I would have to interview this person first to see if our ideas/styles align.

I am extremely selective and I can be very condescending, so I need someone who is thick skinned and willing to deal with my sometimes, harsh criticism and sarcasm.
I assume you are a young engineer. So, take some advice from an old fart with lots of experience - such an attitude won't be tolerated in an office setting, especially in the aerospace that requires precision and group effort in everything you do. I recall one young fella who worked for us on site for a contractor, and he had a similar attitude - he would not take direction from his government counterparts. It wasn't long before his employer showed him the door.

Old 09-12-2022, 04:40 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,969,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I assume you are a young engineer. So, take some advice from an old fart with lots of experience - such an attitude won't be tolerated in an office setting, especially in the aerospace that requires precision and group effort in everything you do. I recall one young fella who worked for us on site for a contractor, and he had a similar attitude - he would not take direction from his government counterparts. It wasn't long before his employer showed him the door.
Same experience here. Occassionally we get a contractor who job hopped across several companies to get fancy title and come to NASA expecting to call his/her own shot. There were in a rude awakening and generally do not last long before existing.

Old 09-13-2022, 03:20 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,429,172 times
You ask for a recommendation for an interior decorator.
Any furniture store has them; their services are free with the purchase of goods.

If you want an interior designer, you may want to make sure he or she has credentials.

Old 09-13-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
As for your "ultra modern decoration," good luck selling that house here when the time comes. You limit your market pretty much anywhere with modern design but you severly limit it around here.
This statement is totally innacurate. I check the MLS everyday and I am already seeing a shift towards modern styles here- my target buyer is someone that moved here from out of state.

I highly encourage people to upgrade their homes now if they have the funds- not a lot of newcomers to this area will want to buy an outdated home with fixtures and appliances from 1978 if they will have better choices.

Old 09-14-2022, 06:42 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
This statement is totally innacurate. I check the MLS everyday and I am already seeing a shift towards modern styles here- my target buyer is someone that moved here from out of state.

I highly encourage people to upgrade their homes now if they have the funds- not a lot of newcomers to this area will want to buy an outdated home with fixtures and appliances from 1978 if they will have better choices.
Calm down! Apparently your experience selling houses and interior trends is a bit limited.

1978 interior in good and working condition will fetch a nice price, 60s will fetch a big fish. It is commonly refered to as trend.
Ultra modern can be nice. Your flipper or rental is not likely to work. Floorplan, materials, kitchen!, bathroom!. You cannot plopp a modern table in the middle of a room and call it ultra modern. Aside from appliances and batchroom basics you are looking at north of 100k for basic furnishings for a 2 br rental if you know where to shop. And that still makes it look awkward - builder grade exterior and now what? That! Try Ikea. It comes with the bonus of entertainment and if you add a case of beer it comes with fun.
Interior designers are out there. Lots of very bad ones. The others know their price and the carrot of "future business" will get you a smile. Professionals expect to be treated with courtesy and respect and paid well for their services.

Old 09-14-2022, 06:47 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,842,681 times
Quote:

Put your money where your mouth is and spend it doing an "ultra modern style." The only question will be how much money you lose on that property. Seriously.....I am daring you to go for it. lol

Old 09-18-2022, 08:11 AM

82 posts, read 75,313 times
Quote:
I am extremely selective and I can be very condescending, so I need someone …. willing to deal with my sometimes, harsh criticism and sarcasm.
You don’t need to explain that part to us. WE ALL KNOW your personality from virtually every post you make on here.

Old 09-18-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcaub View Post
You don’t need to explain that part to us. WE ALL KNOW your personality from virtually every post you make on here.
I get really irritated with ignorance, laziness and people that don't know what they are talking about, so yes, I will be watching the interior decorator very closely to see what she does.

She needs to be able to take harsh criticism- I can yell and bellitle people sometimes but not in a mean way-it is my way of providing constructive criticism.

People say my personality reminds them of Chef Gordon Ramsey or Simon Cowell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area