Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 06:17 PM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times

Advertisements

I am not sure how much people understand about the need to grow crops in different areas in case of localized disasters. I've been aware of it, seeing firsthand how crop failures in Florida affected citrus pricing and (before NAFTA) vegetable pricing throughout the country.

Tonight, CBS News had a whinge about the cotton crop failures in West Texas due to drought, implicitly claiming unmitigated disaster for everyone in the country. When I go down into town, I pass cotton fields that make me proud. Many of them have been harvested, but some that haven't yet been are the prettiest sights you ever want to see.

Alabama is a major producer of cotton. That is more than just a bragging point. It is a core industry that supports textiles, and there is a strategic need for us to insure that no matter which country gets invaded, which country decides it does not like us, that we can grow what we need, extract minerals that we need from the earth, and resist blackmail and pressures by those who do not have our interests at heart.

The follow-up to that whinge was a local story. Chass Bevill was interviewed, and frankly the interview, on the surface, was less than flattering to him. However, when I listened to him, and understood what his stance was, I took him for the Don Quixote that he is and admire him. Too much of the easy pickin' land is being sold off for uses that can create problems in the long run.

Just because large tracts of land that grow crops can easily grow profitable single family dwellings that will require police and fire protection, new schools, added commercial sprawl, new roads, does not mean that is a good idea to sell that land.

We are fortunate in North Alabama to have places like Desoto State Park, where natural wonders are protected from unthinking development. We are NOT fortunate in other areas, where PRIME agricultural land is at risk to the highest bidder in a time when family farms are being driven out of business.

Housing close to work makes for easy access and the development of a tight community center that has shopping and restaurants and all the goodies. Converting cotton fields to housing is an abomination that destroys that concept, destroys our agricultural resilience, is an ecological disaster, and an affront to the core values of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 08:49 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,912,808 times
Thank you for this. This is exactly what I've periodically been saying on here. It happened to California and other parts of the country. Southern California was riparian and is now chaparral. That is extreme. I have no idea whether Alabama would be quite as adversely affected by the above, but it surely will be impacted.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:05 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,100,260 times
When the crop land is within 255/research, it’s amazing the farmland is t being sold already. The land by the Huntsville airport is incredibly expensive and it takes persistence to not sell. Look at Clift farms; they finally said enough and sold. Everyone has a price when it comes to land sales. Though I’m not sure why that one house next to the new Facebook storage centers was the one holdout and it’s not farmland.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:12 AM

3,470 posts, read 2,801,819 times
South Alabama is also an area with lots of cotton production.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:55 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,993,508 times
Farmers aren't being driven out of business by the developers. They are being driven out by cheaper products in other countries where land/etc. isn't as valuable. And this isn't new, farmers started planting pine trees 40 years ago to make money because farming wasn't profitable. These developers are just a way out as a last resort (AND, at a very good price tag for the farmer, as the land is now much more valuable).

As far as preserving wetlands.....well, we have environmental rules for that and it is on the developer (and regulating agency) to make sure it happens.

Old 11-04-2022, 12:43 PM

13,018 posts, read 9,541,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
When the crop land is within 255/research, it’s amazing the farmland is t being sold already. The land by the Huntsville airport is incredibly expensive and it takes persistence to not sell. Look at Clift farms; they finally said enough and sold. Everyone has a price when it comes to land sales. Though I’m not sure why that one house next to the new Facebook storage centers was the one holdout and it’s not farmland.
I always figured the small cotton field on the north end of the airport was so visitors flying in could see a real cotton field, first thing. Probably couldn't build anything that close to the north end of the east runway anyway.

Old 11-04-2022, 03:57 PM

7,484 posts, read 6,269,896 times
I grew up in the 40’s and 50’s in Alabama and to this day I can remember the smell of cotton poison. I kind of liked the smell.

Old 11-04-2022, 05:52 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,100,260 times
Default Market prices

Cotton has sat around $0.80/lb for decade except the spike this past spring.

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/cotton

Old 11-04-2022, 07:09 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,908,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
South Alabama is also an area with lots of cotton production.
AND peanuts!!

Old 11-04-2022, 07:14 PM

13,018 posts, read 9,541,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I grew up in the 40’s and 50’s in Alabama and to this day I can remember the smell of cotton poison. I kind of liked the smell.
Yes, I remember that smell. I suppose it was DDT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area