Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 06:31 AM

842 posts, read 826,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
I hate to see all Wal Mart shoppers get stereotyped like this. I always return my cart to the corral, regardless of where I shop (I agree, lazy if you don't). But I still usually choose to shop at WM because they have the best prices for the things I buy. Also, WM does not charge for online order and pickup (Publix uses an outside service to do this). And I have found that WM has a better selection than Publix or Kroger for the items I buy. I can afford to go to Publix and pay more, and I do like the service and the store much better, but I just have an issue paying a large percentage more for the same brand item. That's not lazy, it's thrifty.
Yeah, I'm with you. We shop at Publix for certain things, but we go to Walmart for most groceries and household items (occasionally Aldi). The Publix "experience" is light years ahead, but you pay a hefty premium to shop there. I would rather spend that money (which would almost certainly be over $1,000/yr just for the two of us empty-nesters) elsewhere, but I get that some people will spend the extra money not to deal with the massive size and chaos of Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 07:52 AM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
There are many legal considerations that will slow home delivers of medications. Even Amazon or Kroeber or some grocery delivery has stopped delivering alcohol for similar reasons.
No, I wasn't asking about home deliveries of medications; I was asking about home deliveries of GROCERIES, which many people now do.

Old 02-19-2023, 08:03 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
No, I wasn't asking about home deliveries of medications; I was asking about home deliveries of GROCERIES, which many people now do.
To each their own but I cannot imagine someone uninterested person picking out my fresh vegetables and meat cuts.

Old 02-19-2023, 08:06 AM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
To each their own but I cannot imagine someone uninterested person picking out my fresh vegetables and meat cuts.
Well, you haven't tried it, so it IS probably difficult to imagine. I do find that a Walmart employee seems to have as much knowledge as I do about picking out vegetables. I'm not much of a meat eater so that part is pretty easy. A big chunk of chuck roast once in awhile is not too hard to pick out.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:11 PM

294 posts, read 235,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
My take on that is:

During Covid, not going into the store and being around people was a great plus. I started doing it then (not home delivery for some reason, but having them shop and load it into the car). Like ndcairngorm said, they do a pretty good job of it.

After good experience with this, I realized that my time is worth something, and I can put the time I spent wandering the store shopping to better use. Also no temptations grabbing an item I don't need.

Yeah, there are certain things I want to pick out myself - which I can still do but with a quick trip in.

Old 02-19-2023, 04:28 PM

653 posts, read 589,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
Yeah, I'm with you. We shop at Publix for certain things, but we go to Walmart for most groceries and household items (occasionally Aldi). The Publix "experience" is light years ahead, but you pay a hefty premium to shop there. I would rather spend that money (which would almost certainly be over $1,000/yr just for the two of us empty-nesters) elsewhere, but I get that some people will spend the extra money not to deal with the massive size and chaos of Walmart.
I would have to agree that prices at Publix are higher than Walmart for most groceries. Categorizing Walmart as chaotic is about right for me. Some of it has to be attributed to the number of people they serve and the turnover of goods. I've experienced more than a few Walmart employees who appeared to me not to care if they were helpful or moved at a snails pace. I don't recall having that experience at Publix.

Back on point, it is rare to see a cart left off to the side of a parking space or in the middle of a handicap space. I picked up some engine oil at Walmart yesterday and purposefully counted five carts not stored and just left scattered as I walked to my car. Fun time when the wind picks up during a storm.

Old 02-19-2023, 05:59 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
I would have to agree that prices at Publix are higher than Walmart for most groceries. Categorizing Walmart as chaotic is about right for me. Some of it has to be attributed to the number of people they serve and the turnover of goods. I've experienced more than a few Walmart employees who appeared to me not to care if they were helpful or moved at a snails pace. I don't recall having that experience at Publix.

Back on point, it is rare to see a cart left off to the side of a parking space or in the middle of a handicap space. I picked up some engine oil at Walmart yesterday and purposefully counted five carts not stored and just left scattered as I walked to my car. Fun time when the wind picks up during a storm.
Many stores have carts out and 5 isn’t bad. Target, grocery stores, long list.

Old 02-20-2023, 12:18 AM

82 posts, read 75,178 times
The coin for the cart thing is wide spread across most of Europe and once you get used to it, it is. O big deal. Pit your coin in, get your cart. Return your cart, coin comes back out.

Old 02-20-2023, 05:57 AM

956 posts, read 745,004 times
Funny how people just let these stores walk all over them, charging for stupid carts, bags, etc, must be a liberal thing to accept this as I'm pissed that every day more freedoms are being taking from me and lazy people enjoy it.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:50 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Walmart announced a few months ago that they were planning on phasing out the plastic bags and customers would have to bring their own reusable bags or make it happen however. My thoughts on this are walmart has apparently lost touch with their customer base. We all pretty much shop there but many of us go elsewhere for things like produce but a significant portion is lower income. Lower income people are not very likely to buy reusable bags to bring to walmart for shopping. It is going to really annoy people from lower all the way to upper income. I am not going to keep bags in all my vehicles just in case I might need to stop by walmart. Like others will do, I will just stop by some other store. Dollar General executives probably started high fiving each other when they heard walmart was going to discontinue plastic bags. lol Dollar General has been expanding as fast a they go and making their living off of walmart ticking customers off.

As for the carts being left everywhere, Walmart is the worse for this. It really does tell you a lot about their customer base. If you are reading this and you are one of those lazy ones that leaves carts wherever you were parked, that is pathetic just so you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area