Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 08:02 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,216,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
Funny how people just let these stores walk all over them, charging for stupid carts, bags, etc, must be a liberal thing to accept this as I'm pissed that every day more freedoms are being taking from me and lazy people enjoy it.
What freedoms of yours are being taken away? It is interesting to me that so called conservatives cry out for businesses to operate how they desire, but when they do something the conservatives don't like, holler about liberals taking away their freedoms.

The cart thing is a cost saving measure for the store. By requiring a refundable token from the shopper, they save on wear and tear on the carts and the cost of an employee to round up the carts left in the parking lot. Those cost savings either keep the profits higher, making the share holders happy (yay, capitalism) or they keep the prices from going up even higher. All this at no cost to the shopper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 09:12 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
What freedoms of yours are being taken away? It is interesting to me that so called conservatives cry out for businesses to operate how they desire, but when they do something the conservatives don't like, holler about liberals taking away their freedoms.

The cart thing is a cost saving measure for the store. By requiring a refundable token from the shopper, they save on wear and tear on the carts and the cost of an employee to round up the carts left in the parking lot. Those cost savings either keep the profits higher, making the share holders happy (yay, capitalism) or they keep the prices from going up even higher. All this at no cost to the shopper.
Switching from plastic to paper is not cost savings for Walmart. It is an extra burden to now bring our own bags and check out ourselves. One persons’ burden can also be a loss of freedom. Self checkout is fine but get some more registers so the lines are shorter.

We could have a discussion on store changes and affects on shopping but clearly a hang up on stock holders will stop any serious discussion. Real cost savings has been kinda a thing for businesses for some time now.

Old 02-20-2023, 04:02 PM

38 posts, read 42,943 times
That's interesting because I was at the hazel green walmart and after using the self checkout I received a prompt asking how many plastic bags I used. The woman working told me to press 0 even though I used multiple. Based off that, I would assume there is going to be an additional charge for every plastic bag used coming very soon.

Old 02-20-2023, 04:26 PM

537 posts, read 445,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
Those who do not return the cart to the corral are often times lazy. In my opinion, they are just pathetic. Rarely will lazy be shopping at Publix and hence can afford the increase in price of goods.
It's bad enough that they can so easily get the cuffs of their pajama bottoms caught in the wheel.

And where will customers come up with a quarter to get a shopping cart. I often have to beg Aldi for a quarter and I'm wearing street clothes.

Old 02-20-2023, 04:34 PM

537 posts, read 445,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
I would have to agree that prices at Publix are higher than Walmart for most groceries. Categorizing Walmart as chaotic is about right for me. Some of it has to be attributed to the number of people they serve and the turnover of goods. I've experienced more than a few Walmart employees who appeared to me not to care if they were helpful or moved at a snails pace. I don't recall having that experience at Publix.
Publix has a much greater cost of doing business than Walmart. W/M has the other 2/3 of the store at much, much higher profit margins to cover their "nut."

But in the low margin groceries, we find Publix prices about $1.00 per item more expensive than other stores. And they don't have all the house brands of Kroger.

I absolutely cringe at the prices of normal staple items at Publix--much less their luxury items. I really just shop their two for one specials that come about every 4 weeks on average. And I do eat their submarine sandwiches which are the best on the market.

I recently saw the total sales of grocery stores, and I was surprised to see that Walmart grocery sales are about twice that of Kroger and the other brand stores they've purchased--the grocery giant.

Since the pandemic and certain political changes caused inflation, we're probably spending twice what we used to on groceries. And that's without any roasts or steaks or luxury foods.

Old 02-20-2023, 05:40 PM

494 posts, read 286,056 times
What a scam it is a have to pay for bags.

We're told plastic is bad for the environment and stores will no longer give them to you with your groceries but, they are willing to sell them to you for 25 cents each. So much for caring about the environment.

Now, the paper bag......some stores are replacing the plastic bags with brown paper bags but, charging you 25 cents each for them when, in fact, brown paper bags are recyclable and good for the environment.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:03 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
I'm still wondering how Walmart is going to deliver groceries without using plastic bags.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:40 AM

294 posts, read 235,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekawal View Post
I tend to agree. The price for the plastic bags is already included in WM's cost of doing business. So this is paying for the same thing twice, for much more than the actual cost, or to be honest it is a penalty.

I think I would just bring a big box in my trunk and load it up with no bags, like at Costco, before I would pay for bags.

Old 02-22-2023, 01:36 PM

641 posts, read 698,473 times
A growing number of states have banned single use bags. I expected California to be on the list, but perhaps it is only specific counties. Every Walmart I have visited in Southern California has charged 10 cents for each bag with no free bags available. I haven't seen anything that indicates Walmart is moving that way in Alabama.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/12/busin...res/index.html

https://thehill.com/policy/equilibri...ates-are-next/

Old 02-22-2023, 02:56 PM

11,062 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekawal View Post

We're told plastic is bad for the environment and stores will no longer give them to you with your groceries but, they are willing to sell them to you for 25 cents each. So much for caring about the environment.

Now, the paper bag...... some stores are replacing the plastic bags with brown paper bags but, charging you 25 cents each for them when, in fact, brown paper bags are recyclable and good for the environment.
The problem is that the brown paper bags with the wide handles (such as as Trader Joe's) are very flimsy when it comes to carrying out groceries. The cashiers know this and will agree to not putting much in the bag. The handles still detach, however.

This is going to sound cynical, but it's actually realistic: plastic is not going away. I am supportive of brown paper bags if they are sturdy and durable to get the groceries home without coming apart where the handles meet the bag. Time and again they do not. You have to hold the bag with one hand under it. So improve the brown bags or people will not use them.

Why whine about something that is durable and can be reused several times before throwing away. I have bags I paid for in California that I still use. And by the way, out there the bags are only 10 cents each, not 25, unless things have changed since I was there last year. But even at 25 cents, does that really break your bank or is this some sort of a libertarian-type beef? (Forcing people to use something instead of offering a choice.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area