Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:31 AM

8 posts, read 17,803 times

Advertisements

I am looking to make new friends in the Huntsville Madison co area.
I am a stay at home mom and have tried to make friends in church but the churches here are so large that it is difficult.I am starting to feel blue.
I am 41 and a christian.I am a mom of 5 the last child is the one that
keeps me on my toes,just trying to keep him from climbing on top of the house.I do not go out much because all I do is chase him and I would really
like to be able to make friends that I can just have cofee with and email.
My childhood friend lives in Atlanta so I feel pretty lonely here.
I feel like the old lady who lived in the shoe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 07:41 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
There are churches of all size here. If you don't feel a personal connection with the congregation, maybe you should try another one.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:47 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,363 times
My wife and I have had a hard time of making connections too... but we're significantly younger and have a toddler so we probably wouldn't have a lot in common.

If church is your thing - keep poking around. I've seen plenty of small churches, they just don't look as fancy as the big ones.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:51 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Default Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie67 View Post
I am looking to make new friends in the Huntsville Madison co area.
I am a stay at home mom and have tried to make friends in church but the churches here are so large that it is difficult.I am starting to feel blue.
I am 41 and a christian.I am a mom of 5 the last child is the one that
keeps me on my toes,just trying to keep him from climbing on top of the house.I do not go out much because all I do is chase him and I would really
like to be able to make friends that I can just have cofee with and email.
My childhood friend lives in Atlanta so I feel pretty lonely here.
I feel like the old lady who lived in the shoe.
Have you looked for any Mom's Clubs. Usually at those you can take your kids and they will enjoy it while you get to know the moms better. Good luck. I hope it gets better soon.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
checkout meetup.com for mommy playgroups and other activities or groups who share similar interest. It is not easy moving to a new city, I know.. Maybe talk to the pastor of your church and ask him for guidance too.

I volunteer with a food network and have met ppl there. It is only 2 days a month and one of them is on a Sat.

You don't say how old your toddler is but maybe putting him in daycare a day or two a week would give you some time for yourself.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:05 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
If you don't find a faith-based moms group that meets your needs, click on the chapter of MOMS Club that is closest to you:

North Huntsville: Home
South Huntsville: Welcome
North Madison: http://www.momsclubofmadison.com/
South Madison: Untitled Document

(According to MOMS Club rules, you can only join the chapter that serves your zip code.)

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 AM

Default friendship

My oldest is 23 and my youngest is 2/5.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:43 AM

Thank you

Old 02-23-2009, 09:44 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
We go to a large church, but have found lifelong friendships inside our Sunday school classes which, in our church, are based on age groups. If you don't attend Sunday school, you might look for a church that has them.

We were older and had young kids, too. Find a church with an educated congregation, and you usually find older parents of younger kids.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:47 AM

346 posts, read 850,929 times
Keeper, I saw that you mentioned meet up on another site. I joined it last month and have met some great people there thus far. A girl I met moved here from GA and joined the Mom's Club. They seem to do alot and always have things going on. I would definitely give that site a try Stephanie. Dvls, we are newly married..2 years in May, no kids yet, and trying to put ourselves out there more and meet people. Ya'll should try meetup too and add us on there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area