Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 04:07 PM

40 posts, read 107,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tljolley View Post
My husband and I are applying for jobs in Huntsville. We currently live in Dothan. I think the fact that we do not currently live in Huntsville is detering some employers from contacting us. We are both college educated with excellent employment histories. I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem? I can understand the concern an employer might feel, but we are really determined to get up there. If nothing happens, we may have to spend a view days in Huntsville passing out resumes and just letting employers know we're serious. Any suggestions?
Try not to get discouraged - this is probably not a reflection on your education or employment history as much as current economic conditions. Although Huntsville is faring better than many other cities, a lot of the jobs that you see posted are very specialized and may be targeted to a specific internal applicant. Also, while certain technical / defense companies are hiring, many other industries and smaller companies are trying to ride out this downturn. Opportunities to break into a new industry are especially hard to come by right now. I will be starting a new job in Huntsville soon, and my husband is still looking. He has great credentials and experience (not that I'm biased) but hasn't found anything yet. One piece of advice that he was given was to apply, apply, apply. Also, as others have said, you're lucky to have jobs that you can keep while you're looking.

My point is - you're not alone, keep your chin up. This may take a little while so don't get discouraged or take rejection or employers' lack of interest personally .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 05:59 PM

59 posts, read 183,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
That's darn scary. I've never been in a situation like this, but if that's true (for the most part), I surely wish I were the exception (land my $120k dream job in only couple months -->> just a far-fetched fantasy of mine-the $120k job that is).

But it's good to know and be prepared, at least have something to "blame" on if the job search extends to forever-land.

That's why I usually pick up and leave to greener pastures on my own (while I have a job). I am not by any means a job hopper, just on the lookout for better opportunities.

Exactly. It's all about opportunities. I don't believe that being a job hopper in this day and age is a bad thing. This isn't your dad's generation, where you ride it out for 30 years, and get a pension with a gold watch. That is an era from another time as you're now expected to manage your own 401K retirement plan. You can become a liability rather then an asset if you stay too long and become stagnant at a job. Things changes rapidly, and you have to always keep current with all of the changes around you.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:43 PM

976 posts, read 2,683,522 times
There plenty of jobs at TK in Mobile.They hiring people from everywhere but a lot of Alabamians seem to letting them go to people from out of state?He might want to consider ThyssenKrupp.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:51 AM

205 posts, read 590,019 times
Another thing you could try, if you haven't already done it is to have an experienced HR person review your resumes and critique them just in case there is something you can do to make your resumes stand out more than everyone else's. To give you an edge.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:25 AM

13 posts, read 49,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daac09 View Post
My point is - you're not alone, keep your chin up. This may take a little while so don't get discouraged or take rejection or employers' lack of interest personally .

Thank you so much! That's really the hardest part, keeping your chin up when you're wondering, what's wrong with my application, or me? Congratulations on your new job and good luck to your husband!

Old 04-17-2009, 08:29 AM

13 posts, read 49,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleinnout View Post
I don't believe that being a job hopper in this day and age is a bad thing. This isn't your dad's generation, where you ride it out for 30 years, and get a pension with a gold watch.

I totally agree. Does anyone keep a job for 30 years anymore? It's rarely heard of, you actually hear more about the poor man that kept the job, and then got side-swiped by a layoff! I agree completely with being prepared, and moving on to find something better, while you still have a job!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:58 PM

262 posts, read 793,777 times
Does your husband have a security clearance? Most of the aerospace companies require that for their employees.

I don't think location plays much of a role in landing a position if you have the background and experience for it. Most companies are willing to do phone interviews prior to a live interview if you have the qualifications. We were living in VA when DH was looking for a position here. He scheduled some informational interviews with several companies he had contacts in when he came down to look for housing. The company he finally went with mailed him an offer once he returned to VA.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:51 AM

692 posts, read 1,502,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
There's an old "rule of thumb" for job hunting, it takes ~ 1 month for every $10K of your annual salary to find a job.

That was almost 15 yrs ago when I first heard it. I suspect it takes much longer now considering how the economy is doing.
That is still what is said, however I would suspect it is about double that right now. In a "typical" market with my connections, resume writing skills, etc, etc, dh can cut the 1m/$10K in half...this time he was right on the head. So although the published info still states 1m/$10K, I would suspect it is more likely 2m/$10K.

I truly wish you well in your search, I will offer one point in resume writing, write what sets you apart, not your position duties in your resume.

To use me 10 years ago as an example...
I could write that I interviewed, hired, determined and wrote job descriptions, etc, etc. But that is what every other recruiter writes.

I would be better served to write....
0 100-day fall off ratio, the only regional recruiter to staff 2 regions-without an assistant, etc, etc.

That is what makes me "special" and what makes a company want to hire me and not Bob, or Tom, or Suzy. The bottom line is that every recruiter hires people, every accountant pays bills and does receivables, what do you do better?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:54 AM

692 posts, read 1,502,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleinnout View Post
Exactly. It's all about opportunities. I don't believe that being a job hopper in this day and age is a bad thing. This isn't your dad's generation, where you ride it out for 30 years, and get a pension with a gold watch. That is an era from another time as you're now expected to manage your own 401K retirement plan. You can become a liability rather then an asset if you stay too long and become stagnant at a job. Things changes rapidly, and you have to always keep current with all of the changes around you.
Yes and no, you should TRY to have a few 5 yr+ positions on your resume, although 30 years is very unrealistic.

However, from a recruiting standpoint, I am always hesitant to hire someone who looks for a new position every 2 years due to the high cost of new hires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area