Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 08:54 AM

20 posts, read 86,526 times

Advertisements

Well the plant is in the outlying reaches of N Huntsville. It is at the corner of Pulaski Pike and Research Park Blvd. Real quick to get to from most anywhere. I live just about 10 mintues from it in Hazel Green. So those ads are pretty acurrate. I think the city line is just past the plant for Huntsville.

Hazel Green is a nice town. Minutes from Hunstville. Kinda spread out, neighbor wise. Have a decent little grocery store for getting some things. Commisary is hard to be beat though.

And in the area it is easy to find your specifications. A garge was one of my specs for my 4x4s. My wife and I really enjoy it out here. Far out, but still close to town. It is a true small town where most people are nice. Everyone still waves, etc. Heck one of the pizza delivery guys stopped next to me at a red light and was asking how I was and how my project truck was coming along...been a long time since I was in a town like that.

If you would like specifics just ask. Or you can send me a PM and give you my number. I know these things are easier to discuss in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 02:09 PM

232 posts, read 994,453 times
Toyota is SW of Meridianville in the county at the Research Blvd./Pulaski Pike intersection. They make engines, including the Tundra V8s. Hazel Green would be a good choice for retirement. You can shop in Huntsville, Madison or Fayetteville, TN.

Rocket Harley-Davidson is along I-565 between Madison and I-65, by the way.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:22 AM

19 posts, read 82,168 times
Sounds like we have alot in common.....we are retiring too ( army) and Im a nurse, we lived in SE Al for many years ( stationed at Rucker). Hubby landed a fantastic job in Huntsville and we're moving in June. We are harley riders, too.
We prefer historic areas with sidewalks, parks, front porches and a "neighborly" feel to them, and we just bought a home in historic Decatur, it is close to everything but is a smaller town. The prices are very reasonable. We will be building a garage for hubbys toys but that didnt seem like an obstacle to us, we tend to buy location, not house, and make the house adapt for us. Besides, the cost of living for us is going to go way down, living back in Al again, so building the garage is very feasable (need to go through the historic committee first ). We looked at homes with garages, of course...but this was THE ONE. I expect my nurses pay to go down ( we've lived in Tx and Va the last few years ) but that is OK, everything else will be lower as well. I only work prn and plan to continue that when settled. Our property taxes in Decatur for the year will be what they cost MONTHLY in Tx, for instance.
I realize you have young children so I cant speak to that ( we are young but empty nesters already ), although I do hear very good things about the school system in Decatur, and also Sparkman high in Hunt, from friends. I think the area has something for everyone for sure, you will find it !
We know a couple who live in Hazel Green and are happy there, he works at Redstone and its handy....you may want to consider commuting times to possible future jobs even if not planning on working now ( that was our plan too inititally but we chose Decatur for easy proximity to Gov. jobs, then he landed one he couldnt refuse, so things can change ) From what I understand, traffic and congestion can be a problem in some areas, so make sure you work with a good, honest realtor who will inform you of these things.
Good Luck with your search !

Old 04-25-2007, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginosgal View Post
From what I understand, traffic and congestion can be a problem in some areas, so make sure you work with a good, honest realtor who will inform you of these things.
Yes, that is very true. Memorial Parkway and Highway 53 are by far the worst. The Park way on both ends of town is bad due to contruction. Also people headed down from Meridianville and Hazel Green, plus the ones coming from the south side of town. Rideout road (Research Park Blvd) can be bad in the afternoon between I-565 to University Dr/Hwy 72. After that it is fine up until Blake Bottom Rd and Hwy 53. Once you get on the extension traffic starts moving. Hwy 53 gets bad to the volume of people coming into the city or leaving the city to/from the North county(Toney, Harvest, and Ardmore areas typically). It usually flows decent, but it is bumper to bumper on the average day. Wal-Triana Hwy can get pretty bad, but that is usually in the Madison area during peak driving times. Same with Hughes Rd in Madison. Hwy 72/University Dr gets backed up to due all of the business and the Mall, again especially during peak times.

Most of the roads are fine except rush hour, then just about every "major" road is bad, to the excepetion of the Parkway. It is never good on it.

Imagine it this way, there are 4 big roads in Huntsville. Two East and West, two North and South. E-W is I-565 and University, N-S are Rideout and Hwy 53/Jordan Lane. So expect those ones to back up. In the North County area, you have a few major roads that can get bad. Wal-Triana, Jeff Road, Wal-Triana and Nick Davis intersection) Blake Bottom, and Old Monrovia/Capshaw. Those are Monrovia and Harvest Rds. Hazel Green area, other then the Parkway it really isnt bad except Pulaski Pike, Grimwood can be bad, West Limestone, and on occasion Charity Lane.

South end of town has a few, but it really has been awhile since my wife doesn't live down there anymore, but Airport, Whitesburg, the Parkway, Baily Cove, and Goveners are to name a few

Old 04-26-2007, 05:59 PM

942 posts, read 2,520,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtTEX View Post
Well the plant is in the outlying reaches of N Huntsville. It is at the corner of Pulaski Pike and Research Park Blvd. Real quick to get to from most anywhere. I live just about 10 mintues from it in Hazel Green. So those ads are pretty acurrate. I think the city line is just past the plant for Huntsville.

Hazel Green is a nice town. Minutes from Hunstville. Kinda spread out, neighbor wise. Have a decent little grocery store for getting some things. Commisary is hard to be beat though.

And in the area it is easy to find your specifications. A garge was one of my specs for my 4x4s. My wife and I really enjoy it out here. Far out, but still close to town. It is a true small town where most people are nice. Everyone still waves, etc. Heck one of the pizza delivery guys stopped next to me at a red light and was asking how I was and how my project truck was coming along...been a long time since I was in a town like that.

If you would like specifics just ask. Or you can send me a PM and give you my number. I know these things are easier to discuss in person.
Hi, thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that. I go down to Huntsville over Memorial Day weekend and may send you a PM after my trip. I know I will have numerous questions!!!!

Old 04-26-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Sounds like we have alot in common.....we are retiring too ( army) and Im a nurse, we lived in SE Al for many years ( stationed at Rucker). Hubby landed a fantastic job in Huntsville and we're moving in June. We are harley riders, too.
We prefer historic areas with sidewalks, parks, front porches and a "neighborly" feel to them, and we just bought a home in historic Decatur, it is close to everything but is a smaller town. The prices are very reasonable. We will be building a garage for hubbys toys but that didnt seem like an obstacle to us, we tend to buy location, not house, and make the house adapt for us. Besides, the cost of living for us is going to go way down, living back in Al again, so building the garage is very feasable (need to go through the historic committee first ). We looked at homes with garages, of course...but this was THE ONE. I expect my nurses pay to go down ( we've lived in Tx and Va the last few years ) but that is OK, everything else will be lower as well. I only work prn and plan to continue that when settled. Our property taxes in Decatur for the year will be what they cost MONTHLY in Tx, for instance.
I realize you have young children so I cant speak to that ( we are young but empty nesters already ), although I do hear very good things about the school system in Decatur, and also Sparkman high in Hunt, from friends. I think the area has something for everyone for sure, you will find it !
We know a couple who live in Hazel Green and are happy there, he works at Redstone and its handy....you may want to consider commuting times to possible future jobs even if not planning on working now ( that was our plan too inititally but we chose Decatur for easy proximity to Gov. jobs, then he landed one he couldnt refuse, so things can change ) From what I understand, traffic and congestion can be a problem in some areas, so make sure you work with a good, honest realtor who will inform you of these things.
Do I know you? Sound likes our lives are the same. Hubby retired about 1.5 years ago and got a great job here (better pay than we could ever have asked for), but it requires a significant amount of time in "undisclosed locations." He already lived through that while in the Army and just wants a change. Of course, for him not to work, we have to buy a very inexpensive house or stay here where wages are higher for me. The house we own here is probably too expensive for us to continue to meet certain financial objectives AND allow him to not work. Also, I really don't want to work more than 2 12's or 2 16's per week Call me lazy!!!!!!!!! So, basically, we need to figure out how to not have a mortgage! I still recall our house in Dothan and the property taxes were less than $30/month--and they picked up the trash twice weekly for FREE! Have you talked to anyone at the local hospitals?

Old 04-26-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
Hi, thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that. I go down to Huntsville over Memorial Day weekend and may send you a PM after my trip. I know I will have numerous questions!!!!
just let me know. Will be glad to help. Would say I will help you guys in your search on Memorial Day, but Ill probably be at the lake, so I wont promise. If you want, I'll give you my number in case you need anything while you are here.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:38 AM

232 posts, read 994,453 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!! My husband just retired from the military and we are considering relocating to the Huntsville area. We have lived in Dothan, AL in the past and really miss that lower COL. We plan on taking a motorcycle trip down there this summer and were hoping for some suggestions for a nice overview of the area with relocation in mind. I am a registered nurse and I was curious if anyone could recommend any hospitals or have an idea of wages (13 years' experience). We have a 9 year-old and are looking for inexpensive housing (low $100,000s) with decent schools (public or private). Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We currently live in PA.
Thank you!!!!!!!!!
You asked for a hospital recommendation! We all have been sidetracked by housing and schools. Crestwood is private and just changed hands so it's anyone's guess about their plans. Interim CEO in place; the former just left this week for a new job elsewhere. Huntsville Hospital is growing more and more; Tri-care approved with a heart center, orthopedic center, women's and children's center and neonatal center. I'd start there. Both hospitals have submitted proposals to Madison to build a new facility there, results pending. Google both and see which is a fit.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:26 AM

19 posts, read 82,168 times
Quote:
Do I know you? Sound likes our lives are the same. Hubby retired about 1.5 years ago and got a great job here (better pay than we could ever have asked for), but it requires a significant amount of time in "undisclosed locations." He already lived through that while in the Army and just wants a change. Of course, for him not to work, we have to buy a very inexpensive house or stay here where wages are higher for me. The house we own here is probably too expensive for us to continue to meet certain financial objectives AND allow him to not work. Also, I really don't want to work more than 2 12's or 2 16's per week Call me lazy!!!!!!!!! So, basically, we need to figure out how to not have a mortgage! I still recall our house in Dothan and the property taxes were less than $30/month--and they picked up the trash twice weekly for FREE! Have you talked to anyone at the local hospitals?
Hi again ! I totally understand that, we are looking forward to having more predictability in civilian life ! No, havent talked to anyone about hospitals yet, Im in no hurry, probably will be the New Year before I get out to work, but there seems to be plenty of positions up there.
Youd be surprised to know that Dothan and Enterprise are really getting expensive. Cost of housing, that is....overall, taxes and other COL I think remain quite low compared to the rest of the country. Our friends just sold their rancher for over $300k, theyd been in it only 2 years. I couldnt believe it. Even little Daleville has a new subdivision going up, and theyre asking alot for those houses. We actually considered going back ( for a minute ) but honestly, its no bargain anymore and in N. Alabama, we'll have alot more things to do and more job choices.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Hi again ! I totally understand that, we are looking forward to having more predictability in civilian life ! No, havent talked to anyone about hospitals yet, Im in no hurry, probably will be the New Year before I get out to work, but there seems to be plenty of positions up there.
Youd be surprised to know that Dothan and Enterprise are really getting expensive. Cost of housing, that is....overall, taxes and other COL I think remain quite low compared to the rest of the country. Our friends just sold their rancher for over $300k, theyd been in it only 2 years. I couldnt believe it. Even little Daleville has a new subdivision going up, and theyre asking alot for those houses. We actually considered going back ( for a minute ) but honestly, its no bargain anymore and in N. Alabama, we'll have alot more things to do and more job choices.
I am so surprised at how expensive Enterprise has become. I just don't think I could live in Daleville. When hubby went through flight school (1988 or so), Daleville had a few things that supported the flight students, but the last time we were there it just seemed so desolate. I'm afraid if I were going to spend $300,000 on a house, I would go back to AZ where wages are between $30-$40/hr. The best job market I've ever seen for nurses was El Paso, TX. There was such a shortage that one could almost name their price. When I worked in Dothan, I made $14.00/hr. Isn't that horrible??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area