Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 05:02 PM

942 posts, read 2,520,841 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!! My husband just retired from the military and we are considering relocating to the Huntsville area. We have lived in Dothan, AL in the past and really miss that lower COL. We plan on taking a motorcycle trip down there this summer and were hoping for some suggestions for a nice overview of the area with relocation in mind. I am a registered nurse and I was curious if anyone could recommend any hospitals or have an idea of wages (13 years' experience). We have a 9 year-old and are looking for inexpensive housing (low $100,000s) with decent schools (public or private). Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We currently live in PA.
Thank you!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 10:23 PM

4 posts, read 13,735 times
SE Huntsville has some of the best public schools(Challenger, Whitesburg, Mountain Gap). It is possible to find a home in the lower 100,000 range but it will be hard for that area. Madison has a lot of affordable housing and some of the schools there are pretty decent. I know that Challenger is great, I have a 6 and 12 year old and I wouldn't leave this area for nothing.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:52 AM

232 posts, read 994,606 times
A home in the low $100's might be do-able, but with the trickle of BRAC activity that will soon be a flood, prices per square foot are drifting upward steadily.

For existing homes in that price range (brick, built in the 1970's), a nice neighborhood where I'd start my search would be Chapman Elementary district; homes are in the $120's-160's typically, very good school, park and community pool biking distance and it's close to downtown. I'd also look in NE Madison County in the Riverton Elementary and Mt. Carmel Elementary districts. There are some new/newer homes out there in nice neighborhoods and in the same price range.

It's just getting tough to find low $100's anymore.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping to find a house in the $120,000-130,000 so neither of us would HAVE to work. Oh well!! I must say, Huntsville still seems much less expensive than where we currently live

Old 04-17-2007, 08:28 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,796,609 times
You can certainly find homes in that price range in SE Huntsville. They will be smaller and more likely to have siding rather than brick, but they can be found...fairly easily, too.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:20 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Check out Arab AL. Close to Huntsville (20 miles north), small town, great schools with small class size and low crime. N.Marshall county hospital is located near by if you want to work. You can find a very nice house with a big yard for your price range is you aren't looking for a new home. There are some nice houses listed for less than 100K with at least a 1/2 acre lot, some are larger.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Keeper; 04-18-2007 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: additional info

Old 04-18-2007, 08:19 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies!! Ideally, we would love to have the small, tidy home we owned while living in Dothan--but in Huntsville. I would probably work a couple of shifts each week (preferably 12 hours). We would like apprx. 1600 square feet, 3/4 brick, garden tub, and WIC in a clean, tidy neighborhood. I'm so tired of paying PA taxes!! We pay state, local, property and school taxes all of which amount to close to $10,000/year. Of course, if hubby didn't work that amount would go down substantially, but would probably still be about $6,000/yr. I just remember our simple, inexpensive life in AL and miss it.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:25 AM

346 posts, read 1,779,519 times
Have you tried the for-sale-by-owner sites?

Old 04-18-2007, 01:00 PM

20 posts, read 86,544 times
SE side of town is nice. For the most part. Can be expensive like Madison if you don't take your time researching it. I personally am a fan of the North county. (i.e. Harvest, Toney, Hazel Green, and Meridianville)

County schools are some of the best schools you can go to. I did my last couple years of High School at Sparkman. They have recently done a lot of adding on to it. A whole new building for the 9th graders. I like Sparkman over Grissom also. My wife went to Grissom, along with one of my brother-in-laws, and sister-in-laws, who are currently attending. The environment in overall just seems a lot better.

House pricing is fairly decent to. With the exception of Harvest typically being in competition with the SE side of town due to it being the "in" place to live as of the past couple years. But again if you take your time you can find a house for low 100s. Other outlying areas you can find a nice large house for a fair price.

Other nice thing is Huntsville's newer areas (i.e. Providence) are going to the higher price, reach out your window and touch your neighbor's house, and no yard, style housing. Out in the county you can get a nice lawn/land, not live on top of each other, considerably lower noise, and lose all the light pollution the blocks the nice stary skies at night.

This is just my opinion, but as long as I live in the area, I will live in the county where it is more of the "simple" life. Huntsville has gotten very busy with many people. I suppose that is why I am ready to get back to my small home town in Oklahoma.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I have seen several houses listed in Hazel Green that seem fairly inexpensive. Is that a nice area? I'm not too concerned with lot size. We are on a bit over 10,000 sq. ft now and it seems fine. Hubby needs a decent sized garage for his addiction to Harley Davidsons and I would like a garden tub and walk-in-closet. Most other things are very negotiable. I saw a few houses listed in a real estate magazine that were new and very low-priced, advertised as being 10 minutes from the Toyota plant. Is the plant in Huntsville or a suburb? Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area