Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:48 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,095,439 times

Advertisements

Okay Sunday night my wife and I came upon a very friendly golden retriever in our East Limestone subdivision. No collar, but absolutely perfect teeth. Great personality, knows commands.

Our neighbor put him in her back yard, but apparently the fence is too low and he jumped out. Another neighbor had the same issue.

Well we put him in our back yard and he figured out how to open the gate, I need to get a lock for the gate (my dog doesn't like Archie - that's what I named him, and it works for him).

Anyway, he's just walking around our neighborhood, happy to walk with anyone, licking your hand if you let him and quick to lay on his back and get his tummy rubbed.

Archie needs a good home, if you know someone who lost this dog, shoot me a PM and I'll help them get him back. If you know of someone who wants a smart, friendly golden retriever, shoot me a PM and I'll help them get Archie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 11:13 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Archie needs a good home, if you know someone who lost this dog, shoot me a PM and I'll help them get him back. If you know of someone who wants a smart, friendly golden retriever, shoot me a PM and I'll help them get Archie.

No, I don't want a dog, but you may want to use this website to announce the finding of this dog.
http://www.fidofinder.com/

Old 09-02-2009, 11:18 AM

thanks. i'll check it out.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:34 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Sounds like somebody might be missing him, especially if he's neutered...I don't know what your laws are but most states mandate that you take certain measures to look for an owner if you take a dog in. You can be prosecuted for finding a dog and simply keeping it, giving it away or selling it...just a friendly FIY. In most states dogs are property...this could be similar to finding someone's wallet or purse and keeping it. If somehow I lost one of my dogs and nobody alerted the shelter, turned it in or made any effort to find out if it had an owner and kept it or gave it away I assure you I would be pursuing every legal avenue possible! Anyway.

These include leaving a description at local animal shelters and humane societies. Have him scanned for a microchip. Put ad on craigslist pets and/or in the newspaper (many let you put found ads free.) Put sign up in subdivision or neighborhood.

I am secretary of a small rescue here in Michigan and we frequently get lost/stray dogs. Some have been reunited with owners. Law here says if we don't turn the dog over to the shelter (we often do this when we have no room - people looking quickly find the dog there, or we get the dog's control number and can get it back if not claimed or adopted) we must hold it safely for seven days, advertise publically and provide description to AC. That law applies to private individuals too.

All I'm saying is, please please first make an effort to make it possible for an owner, if there is one, to get their dog back! And if there isn't an owner, bless your heart for caring about Archie.

Oh PS you can also contact Golden Retriever rescue...they are everywhere.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the tips.

You would think they would have a collar or tag on the dog, but we've had no luck. We've called the authorities and they haven't had any concern "If you keep in your backyard we'll come and get it and put it in the pound".

Big problem we have is no one around here has been able to keep him for more than an hour. No one has seen any signs or any notice looking for the great dog.

I registered on that site, we'll see if I get any contact from it.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:31 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
Google Golden Retriever Rescue in your area for their contact info (even if it's just in your state), someone's probably missing him. If not, they s/b able to take him, vet him, evaluate him and find him a loving responsible home, most of the rescue groups are real picky where they place their dogs and the dog will never wind up in the pound b/c if it doesnt work out, the new owners sign a contract that he'll go back to the rescue - it's a win-win situation for everyone. Thanks for taking him in and please keep us posted.

Also, a vet s/b able to scan him for free, just to see if he's registered and was given away or wandered away, maybe someone picked him up along the road and dropped him off miles away, it does happen sometimes (makes you wish he could talk) - you could just tell the vet you want him scanned and that's it, they wouldnt charge you for something like that.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,536 times
In the light of Chiroptera's advice, if you give him out for an adoption outside the system, try to get as much contact info from the new owner, even a "family" picture (farewell shot), and could also get close-up photographs of the dog (even video of his friendly behavior), get your back covered in case you later need to track the dog down.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:49 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Yah...collars can fall off or even get taken off. One dog we had turned was reported that same morning to Animal Control with part of the description including that of a vey nice sounding custom leather collar. I went and picked up the dog that evening, no collar. Who knows whether it came off or maybe someone took it off...the dog was a good 7 miles from his home.

Or, well, people ARE just dumping or leaving dogs more these days. I got a really beautiful, obviously purebred, well cared for, black Lab puppy in June, about 6 months old, from the police. Found wandering in a park. Never did find an owner...we were going to put him up for adoption but I ended up keeping him!

Anyway if this dog is an escape artist, well...hopefully if there are owners who care they should have been smart enough to microchip or tattoo him as well. Tattoos aren't as common any more but they're usually on the inner thigh, sometimes inside the ear flap.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:53 PM

Thanks for all the tips. This has gotten pretty complicated and I think quite a few in our subdivision are getting involved.

I did get one email from the fidofinder site and contacted the potential owner. Its probably not her dog, but that was pretty good.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:04 PM

60 posts, read 141,919 times
FYI - most of the shelters (madison and huntsville) are full, and so they euthanizing dogs practically automatically... so if at all possible do NOT turn the dog into a shelter. I second the idea about contacting golden retriever rescue. Have a contact that does it, so if you need more info, PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area